Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My recent 412 purchase.
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
baybus70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:21 am    Post subject: My recent 412 purchase. Reply with quote

Finally got my hands on a 412 LE. 1.7 F.I 4 speed Right hand drive.

They’re very rare over here with only around 35 412 Variants on the road.

This one was shipped over from South Africa so pretty solid. Not so much fun trying to find parts already!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: My recent 412 purchase. Reply with quote

Nice car! Read my notes on the four speed trans. Great gearing for the engine and car. They can seem to last forever....but have the seeds of their own detsruction built in as they age.

Its worthwhile to collect a few parts and select a weekend and tear it down snd reppace bearings and seals and inspect and readjust. Tear down and assembly is easy with these transmissions......until you wait too long. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
baybus70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: My recent 412 purchase. Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
Nice car! Read my notes on the four speed trans. Great gearing for the engine and car. They can seem to last forever....but have the seeds of their own detsruction built in as they age.

Its worthwhile to collect a few parts and select a weekend and tear it down snd reppace bearings and seals and inspect and readjust. Tear down and assembly is easy with these transmissions......until you wait too long. Ray

Thanks Ray. It’s going to get a good tear down over the coming months before I can enjoy it properly. Luckily the South African weather has been very kind to all but the dash!

Can you help me with one question. The wood effect dash has been painted over. Does this wood effect just peel off or is a separate plastic piece that comes off ? I wanted to revert back to the wood effect but may need to replace it.

Thanks. Steve

I’ll be posting some wanted ads in the classifieds so would be grateful for any help with some of the smaller parts.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: My recent 412 purchase. Reply with quote

Nice car. I bet folk see it and ask what it is.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
baybus70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: My recent 412 purchase. Reply with quote

heimlich wrote:

You’re right they do.

First day I had it a guy asked if it was a Volvo!
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: My recent 412 purchase. Reply with quote

baybus70 wrote:
heimlich wrote:

You’re right they do.

That's usually the question Type 3 Squareback owners get!

Man, RHD wood veneer/sticker... just about the hardest thing to get! I expect you will have to make a template and fab up something custom. But then you get to choose the wood color and grain. Depends on how crazy you want to get with it!
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: My recent 412 purchase. Reply with quote

baybus70 wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:

Thanks Ray. It’s going to get a good tear down over the coming months before I can enjoy it properly. Luckily the South African weather has been very kind to all but the dash!

Can you help me with one question. The wood effect dash has been painted over. Does this wood effect just peel off or is a separate plastic piece that comes off ? I wanted to revert back to the wood effect but may need to replace it.

Thanks. Steve

I’ll be posting some wanted ads in the classifieds so would be grateful for any help with some of the smaller parts.

If its been painted over....you will likely not save it. Its a vinyl applique. In places with bright sun it typically burned off to patchy black....which is why it gets painted. And.....it was not that nice really.

But.....as you move forward working on things and eventually get around to fixing anything under the dash.....its a nice and not to hard project to remove the dash. The fascias can be removed without removing the dash....but the instruments and most of the switches have to come out.....so kf you are doing that anyway......the fascias have studs with speed nuts on the back side.

When you remove them they are either aluminum or steel......steel I think.....so you can,strip them....and then revover them ic you sant woodgrain....but mine are painted body color. I was also experimenting and painted the fascia panel on the glove box door with a hammer tone enamel that was almost a dead match for the body color.....hammer tone fascia panels look AWESOME! I also screenprinted the shift pattern for the 4 speed in the right spot next to the glove box lock........so there are some possible benefits of removing the fascia panels anx repainting them. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
baybus70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: My recent 412 purchase. Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
baybus70 wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:

Thanks. Steve

If its been painted over....you will likely not save it. Its a vinyl applique. In places with bright sun it typically burned off to patchy black....which is why it gets painted. And.....it was not that nice really.

But.....as you move forward working on things and eventually get around to fixing anything under the dash.....its a nice and not to hard project to remove the dash. The fascias can be removed without removing the dash....but the instruments and most of the switches have to come out.....so kf you are doing that anyway......the fascias have studs with speed nuts on the back side.

When you remove them they are either aluminum or steel......steel I think.....so you can,strip them....and then revover them ic you sant woodgrain....but mine are painted body color. I was also experimenting and painted the fascia panel on the glove box door with a hammer tone enamel that was almost a dead match for the body color.....hammer tone fascia panels look AWESOME! I also screenprinted the shift pattern for the 4 speed in the right spot next to the glove box lock........so there are some possible benefits of removing the fascia panels anx repainting them. Ray

That’s awesome Ray - thanks a lot. I know it’s way down on the priority list but it’s one of those jobs I’d end up doing when I need a break from the oily bits.

Painting in body colour is an excellent idea.

Ill post some more info when I get working properly on the car.

Thanks again. Steve
baybus70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: My recent 412 purchase. Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
baybus70 wrote:
heimlich wrote:

You’re right they do.

That's usually the question Type 3 Squareback owners get!

Man, RHD wood veneer/sticker... just about the hardest thing to get! I expect you will have to make a template and fab up something custom. But then you get to choose the wood color and grain. Depends on how crazy you want to get with it!

My neighbour just looked at it in a very strange way and didn’t say anything. I didn’t judge him when he bought a new Kia!

I will do that and make a template. I’m trying to find the small tray under the dash but trying to find a RHD part is just never gonna happen. May try and adapt a Ghia full width under dash net shelf instead.
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: My recent 412 purchase. Reply with quote

Welcome Steve, you have found a nice looking car, will be intresting to follow this project! We always love to see more pics! Very Happy

//Lars S
Suzuki T500, -69, Candy Gold, sold Sad
Suzuki K50, -77, Black, daily driver
BMW R69S -69, White, sold Sad
Husqvarna 118cc, -47, Black, Sold Sad
baybus70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: My recent 412 purchase. Reply with quote

Lars S wrote:
Welcome Steve, you have found a nice looking car, will be intresting to follow this project! We always love to see more pics! Very Happy

//Lars S

Thank you Lars. Here are some more pictures showing the S.A spec interior. Shame about the drivers seat but the other seats, headliner and door panels are all good.

It has rear factory pop out windows too which I thought was cool.

Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: My recent 412 purchase. Reply with quote

That’s a nice find , and you will never walk alone again

Laughing
baybus70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: My recent 412 purchase. Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
That’s a nice find , and you will never walk alone again

Laughing

Very Happy Thanks. Good quote too!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: