Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ospho and Rustoleum or POR 15
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tristanblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:09 am    Post subject: Ospho and Rustoleum or POR 15 Reply with quote

Hi, I am doing a rat rod type driver beetle. The car was sandblasted by the PO under the trunk around gas tank and spare tire areas long time ago and never coated, left bare steel. Of course it has an even coat of surface rust in the entire area. I hand sanded and cleaned and still a lot of surface rust down on pits.

This is not a show car but just a driver. I am only looking to preserve the steel and prevent continued rusting. I am looking at two methods POR15 which I have used many times before and had good results but usually that is over freshly blasted areas of chassis and undercaridge. Or considering Ospho (which I have never used before) Which converts the rust to an inert substance and you can paint directly over with a (prefered) oil based paint such as rustoleum.

I like the idea of Ospho converting the rust but the Rustoleum as a top coat scares me. It always seems soft and easily scratched or removed. The POR 15 seems to be VERY strong and durable but it is only encapsulating the rust and these areas have a pretty good coat of surface rust which worries me. I would love to use Ospho AND POR15 but have heard the 15 does not adhere well to Ospho...true?

Any info or opinions on the two choices please post. And to address this now, I have no intention of having this area re blasted or dipped so only answers concerning POR15 vs Ospho method please if you have nothing to post concerning those two methods please dont post.

Thanks
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Ospho and Rustoleum or POR 15 Reply with quote

I would recommend Ospho and Master Series Silver primer. I used this combo on my entire car and it worked great! You can also use Master Series top coats on top of the Silver primer. The Silver Primer has levelers in it so it will help fill some of those pits. I used POR-15 in the past, but will never go back to it after using the Master Series products, as they are superior in every way.

Pan done with Ospho, MS Silver Primer, and MS AG-111 Grey
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My 2cents...
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Ospho and Rustoleum or POR 15 Reply with quote

beetlenut wrote:
I would recommend Ospho and Master Series Silver primer. I used this combo on my entire car and it worked great! You can also use Master Series top coats on top of the Silver primer. The Silver Primer has levelers in it so it will help fill some of those pits. I used POR-15 in the past, but will never go back to it after using the Master Series products, as they are superior in every way.

Pan done with Ospho, MS Silver Primer, and MS AG-111 Grey
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My 2cents...

^^^^^^^Yes!

The chemistry in the master series is superb for rust killing. Its anerobic in function. As it cures.....it robs what its attached to of oxygen. It uses the oxtgen for curing itself.....depleting the oxygen that allows rust to operate. Along with a phosphoric acid usage.....its a great combo. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Ospho and Rustoleum or POR 15 Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
...The chemistry in the master series is superb for rust killing. Its anerobic in function. As it cures.....it robs what its attached to of oxygen. It uses the oxtgen for curing itself.....depleting the oxygen that allows rust to operate. Along with a phosphoric acid usage.....its a great combo. Ray
I never made the connection between moisture cure urethane and the "Other side" off the application. I have always looked at it from the perspective of ambient humidity. It makes perfect sense now why MasterSeries is a superior choice. Thanks for the chemistry lesson.

-----
Emil

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Ospho and Rustoleum or POR 15 Reply with quote

I always thought epoxies have a stronger bond than mcu’s? I’ve never had an issue with adhesion when using a real epoxy on any surface. Whereas the mcu’s (I’ve never used master series) seem pretty particular to the surface treatment.
tristanblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Ospho and Rustoleum or POR 15 Reply with quote

I ended up doing the Ospho, worked well. I was considering the MS product. Is it just a primer that MUST be top coated and if so ONLY with their top coat or can I spray my urethane color over the top?

If not has anyone used a primer compatible with the Ospho and a 2part urethane auto paint?
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Ospho and Rustoleum or POR 15 Reply with quote

The Master Series is a complete line of paints. The Silver primer can be used by itself, and is according to their literature and Chuck, UV safe on it's own. You can use other paint over it, although I'm not sure if you can use ANY paint over it. I was so impressed with their primer, I wanted to stay with their products. You can ask Chuck (https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=2948) on here who sells the MS line more detailed questions if you want.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
vwsplitman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Ospho and Rustoleum or POR 15 Reply with quote

All paints we have tested and used as a topcoat are compatible with the MasterSeries silver primer. If the silver primer has been on for a few days or more, a quick scuff is recommended. Very Happy Chuck P
tristanblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Ospho and Rustoleum or POR 15 Reply with quote

As mentioned I went with the Ospho and it worked great. I was pondering the MC but then cost of it and then their topcoat, shipping and the wait to get it. I wanted to get this done, so I went to my paint cabinet and found some left over PPG Omni MP 213 Sealer sprayed that over the Ospho and let it dry. The stuff worked great, so then top coated with Omni MTK white I have left over from bumpers on a `62 westy restore.

Has been close to a week, paint looks great, sticking well and hard as a rock. Very happy with this method
w2vy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:00 am    Post subject: Re: Ospho and Rustoleum or POR 15 Reply with quote

If you apply ospho in hidden (or enclosed) areas can you leave it unpainted?

Tom
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Ospho and Rustoleum or POR 15 Reply with quote

I’d think you’d want to top coat it as all Ospho does is covert the existing rust - once it dries out it does not convert new rust that develops under/next to the converted as moisture can migrate through it.

Where you can’t get a good application of epoxy over it i spayed Fluid Film a waxy oil that seeps very well and acts as a short term sealer for inside frame rails and such. Needs to be reapplied periodically. Also don’t use until after all painting has been applied and cured.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: