Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Subaru EJ22 kill switch wiring question
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kalispell365
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru EJ22 kill switch wiring question Reply with quote

OR...just unplug the fuel pump power in the engine compartment...there should be a connector that you can just unplug and leave it looking like its still together.

OR...unplug the crank or cam sensor and leave the plug stuck in place, OR the ignitor, etc. etc.

OR...unplug the ignition or fuel pump relay?

Why bother with all the wire hacking when this can be achieved so easily with any of these methods.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru EJ22 kill switch wiring question Reply with quote

The purpose is to have a hidden switch near the driver so it can be turned on/off easily and without opening anything in the back.

Mark
kalispell365
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru EJ22 kill switch wiring question Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
The purpose is to have a hidden switch near the driver so it can be turned on/off easily and without opening anything in the back.

Mark

But if hes installing a switch at the relays, he has to get under the seat anyway unless he runs wiring all the way up front. Why not simply unplug either of the relays at that point?

Not trying to be argumentative, just don't understand why not keep it simple?
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru EJ22 kill switch wiring question Reply with quote

He's connecting wires there and running them up to the front to an added switch.

Mark
kalispell365
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru EJ22 kill switch wiring question Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
He's connecting wires there and running them up to the front to an added switch.

Mark

Gotcha, I didn't see that part.

Wouldn't it be easier to interrupt the ignition system near the column instead?

Carry on.
newerwesty1987
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru EJ22 kill switch wiring question Reply with quote

Had more than one relay fail over the years, and each was a stock Hella made in Germany on various Euro cars.

It's also not just a relay being added, but additional connections as well.

Not convinced a relay is a good idea for this and can't imagine what the wiring harness has to do with it. Agree to disagree I guess.
surfinwesty Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru EJ22 kill switch wiring question Reply with quote

DeLvxe wrote:
Following, for sure.

Me, too!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sdirghalli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru EJ22 kill switch wiring question Reply with quote

fxr wrote:
I just interrupted the ground wiring right at the pump. I used a relay, whose coil used the +12V provided to the pump and was grounded via a simple slide switch, hidden in plain sight once the driver's door is opened.

Easily bypassed if you know how and if either the switch or relay plays up. I doubt a thief would go to the extent of grovelling on the ground and figuring out how to bypass it. Wink

If you want a picture of the switch location, PM me.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

fxr, thanks for the assistance! A couple days ago I took your wiring diagram and installed a relay (I went with a "waterproof" one) and wired it between the pump and ground. For the switch, I continued to use the rear blower motor switch in the dash (I removed the rear heater years ago). It really was a simple process and I've got the switch hiding in plain sight so that if anyone tries to drive off in the van it'll die before they get it into first gear. I also wired in spade connectors so that if the relay fails I can quickly bypass it. Thanks again for your help!
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru EJ22 kill switch wiring question Reply with quote

You're very welcome. Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: