Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Subaru EJ22 kill switch wiring question
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
newerwesty1987
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru EJ22 kill switch wiring question Reply with quote

Thanks, but, why not just switch the ground with the switch? The amp load wouldn't be an issue and it would make it more simple.
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru EJ22 kill switch wiring question Reply with quote

I just interrupted the ground wiring right at the pump. I used a relay, whose coil used the +12V provided to the pump and was grounded via a simple slide switch, hidden in plain sight once the driver's door is opened.

Easily bypassed if you know how and if either the switch or relay plays up. I doubt a thief would go to the extent of grovelling on the ground and figuring out how to bypass it. Wink

If you want a picture of the switch location, PM me.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

newerwesty1987
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru EJ22 kill switch wiring question Reply with quote

I saw the other thread about the transistor possibly being blown. Is there isa safer or more simple wire to make this work just as well? What about just interrupting the ignition/starter relay wire from the key switch itself? The kill switch could be near by under the dash or in the ashtray, etc.. or even use that rear heater fan switch if possible (mine is also removed from under the rear seat)
sdirghalli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru EJ22 kill switch wiring question Reply with quote

I've added a "hiding in plain sight" kill switch using the rear blower fan switch but now I'm not getting a ground from the ECU going to the fuel pump relay...

I started a new thread in the hopes that someone out there in The Samba land will have some insight!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9153192#9153192

Stefan
sdirghalli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru EJ22 kill switch wiring question Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm following this for sure too!
Jahbah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru EJ22 kill switch wiring question Reply with quote

Adam,

You are correct sir, the ground on the fuel pump relay is an easy simple way to immobilize your van. I located the ecu and relays in a small box under the rear seat. There is a small switch inside that kills the fuel pump. The van will turn over like a champ, but will fail to start. In my mind it’s an excellent option because there is no monthly cost and without fuel there’s no question your vans in the same place that you left it. Once the van won’t start there not going to troubleshoot, they might steal your stereo or your tools, but not the van. Very easy to do, solder your connections!

I also have a battery isolator for double protection. This is more for electrical safety, but super easy for theft prevention.
Good luck!
D
Jahbah~D
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru EJ22 kill switch wiring question Reply with quote

Don't have your answer but....... IMHO....... any wiring you do should maintain the factory look.
Any new wires, any cheapo crimp connectors will just scream "LOOK HERE!! THIS IS WHY IT WON'T START" to any car savy thief.

Even a GPS tracker should be wired totally out of sight and the unit also located out if sight.

On your conversion, do you still have the black box in the LF of the engine compartment?
Do you still use the next black relay box to the rear with the fuel pump relay in it??
If so, I'd work within those boxes for the fuel pump kill.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DeLvxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru EJ22 kill switch wiring question Reply with quote

Following, for sure.
tikiman71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:30 pm    Post subject: Subaru EJ22 kill switch wiring question Reply with quote

Hi, I thought I had bookmarked a thread about this previously but I can't find my previous reference.

Anyway, if one were to install a kill switch on the fuel pump relay of an EJ22 converted Vanagon, would the best way be to interrupt the D23 ECU ground to pump relay wire (light green and black wire, I think...)? If I recall correctly, this would be the safest and lowest amp draw wire to choose from. The purpose is to help deter potential theft.

Thanks in advance!

Adam
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: