Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bumpers on 1972 squareback
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
splodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:51 pm    Post subject: Bumpers on 1972 squareback Reply with quote

Hello Gentlemens!
I have 1972, Squareback with bumpers looks like on this photo:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And I'd like to have bumpers with overriders like on this photo:

Do I need to change bumpers, or I just need to buy overriders and rubber moldings?
oxsign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Bumpers on 1972 squareback Reply with quote

You can just buy the over riders and put them on. However, I think the over riders have a little notch in the center for the black strip that goes down the middle of the bumper. You can still put them on with out any issues, but it will have that small notch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
splodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Bumpers on 1972 squareback Reply with quote

oxsign , Thank You!
oxsign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Bumpers on 1972 squareback Reply with quote

splodge wrote:
oxsign , Thank You!
No problem. And make sure to post more pictures. That's a great looking Fastback. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
splodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Bumpers on 1972 squareback Reply with quote

Oh, it's not mine Embarassed
Just photos from internet.
So far mine looks too bad Rolling Eyes
oxsign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Bumpers on 1972 squareback Reply with quote

splodge wrote:
Oh, it's not mine Embarassed
Just photos from internet.
So far mine looks too bad Rolling Eyes
We all have to start somewhere. Keep at it and start a build thread on here so we can see it come together as you go. Looks like a good start so far.
splodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: Bumpers on 1972 squareback Reply with quote

Сan anyone tell me the part number of this overrides?
Can't find it at Paruzzi, ISP or Cip1 Sad
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Bumpers on 1972 squareback Reply with quote

Used is all you will find. Place a WTB (want to buy) ad in the Type 3 Parts Classifieds.
I sold/shipped the set I had to Finland a couple years ago.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dfasty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Bumpers on 1972 squareback Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2291393 here you go. This set fits the bumper with out the rubber strip.
splodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Bumpers on 1972 squareback Reply with quote

Mike Fisher , Thanks! Found 2 overriders in perfect condotion on Ebay. But they are both the same (front bumper right side and rear bumper left side. 113707154) Confused

Dfasty , Oh, thank You! Not in exellent condition, but better then nothing Smile
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Bumpers on 1972 squareback Reply with quote

Dfasty wrote:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2291393 here you go. This set fits the bumper with out the rubber strip.

I have never seen that style! In the USA, all cars came the rubber strip, and so the only bumper guards available had the cutout to fit it.

I bought a set years ago and it was available from the dealer as a sanctioned accessory, perhaps Autobahn-branded. I'll have the check the box. They were molded with "VWOA" in the rubber, implying the set I had was for USA markets. Non-USA sources may be different.
martymarrr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Bumpers on 1972 squareback Reply with quote

Hello Gentlemens!

I am interested in this thread! I also have a 1972 Squareback, but am looking for a front bumper, and a set of overriders for front and back. Was there anything left over from this thread a couple years ago? Thanks!
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Bumpers on 1972 squareback Reply with quote

Check the classified.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...ton=Search

I don't see much for late cars at the moment, but they do show up regularly. Also, you might contact Samba members that regularly have lots of parts for sale--Mike Fisher or Joel Mitchell (BooKooZ); you might also check vendor ISPwest for bumpers.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Bumpers on 1972 squareback Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Check the classified.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...ton=Search

I don't see much for late cars at the moment, but they do show up regularly. Also, you might contact Samba members that regularly have lots of parts for sale--Mike Fisher or Joel Mitchell (BooKooZ); you might also check vendor ISPwest for bumpers.

For the front bumper, look in the Ghia section of the classifieds, as they are the same part.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Bumpers on 1972 squareback Reply with quote

A couple of tips:

When you search for late bumper parts, try "bumper guards" and not "overriders" since the latter term usually refers to the round-section "towel bars" that were not fitted to the late style bumpers.

Bug bumper guards look similar but are not identical.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: