Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

High comp with dtm shroud?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sweller341
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:03 pm    Post subject: High comp with dtm shroud? Reply with quote

Would the DTM fan shroud be worth if I wanted to run a higher compression ratio in a stock motor?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: High comp with dtm shroud? Reply with quote

Bone stock.. heads, cam valves?

Why?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: High comp with dtm shroud? Reply with quote

What is the goal here?

aka Turbobaja
Sweller341
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: High comp with dtm shroud? Reply with quote

Well stock displacement but whatever upgrades necessary to handle a higher CR. What upgrades would I need to do? Reason for stock displacement is because I like small displacement motors and I'm not hunting for high hp. Also I know that the higher the CR the more heat is produced and the DTM was designed for bigger motors, so would it cool better with the higher CR?
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: High comp with dtm shroud? Reply with quote

Don't believe the DTM is made for T-1, I have a complete kit for the T 4 and will have it for sale shortly. So I went to the T-4 store to figure how to price it and It said DTM for T-1 not available and long lead times for the T-4.

Correct me if I am wrong.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sweller341
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: High comp with dtm shroud? Reply with quote

Really? Is this the same one?

https://vwparts.aircooled.net/Raby-s-Aircooled-Technology-Type-1-DTM-11001-p/11001.htm
Bama Dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: High comp with dtm shroud? Reply with quote

No longer available...

1970 Beetle
1971 Super
1972 Baja

hellthorne wrote:
First off, I know i made stupid decisions that led to my predicament, so while you are welcome to tell me that I am an idiot for doing the things I did, please know that I am already aware of this.
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: High comp with dtm shroud? Reply with quote

I know a guy that is selling one.
busey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: High comp with dtm shroud? Reply with quote

Sweller341 wrote:
Really? Is this the same one?

https://vwparts.aircooled.net/Raby-s-Aircooled-Technology-Type-1-DTM-11001-p/11001.htm

A "legendary shroud"?, according to the description in the ad. I don't know of anyone or have ever seen any of the the Big Boy California shops running the DTM shroud. It seems every other badass build (even turbo builds) is running the Bernie Bergmann Porsche style. Jus sayin
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: High comp with dtm shroud? Reply with quote

Sweller341 wrote:
Would the DTM fan shroud be worth if I wanted to run a higher compression ratio in a stock motor?

No, it would not be worth it.
A stock type 1 doghouse does a wonderful job.
I almost went with the Bergmann shroud but the only people that had positive things to say about it was the Bergmann site which is quite convincing by the way.
Since I plan on mostly cruising the mountains for 4-6 hours at a clip I stuck with proven stock cooling components.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: High comp with dtm shroud? Reply with quote

jeffrey8164 wrote:
Sweller341 wrote:

I almost went with the Bergmann shroud but the only people that had positive things to say about it was the Bergmann site which is quite convincing by the way.
Since I plan on mostly cruising the mountains for 4-6 hours at a clip I stuck with proven stock cooling components.

Years ago i saw an eye catching doublecab on the highway making a trek from Southern Cal to Central Cal and was shocked to see the inside of the engine compartment was sporting a Bernie Bergmann shroud. Ive asked that doublecabs owner who went by the name of "lizard" of Lizard Motorsports how his motor runs with that shroud and he has said, Just Fine! Shocked
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: High comp with dtm shroud? Reply with quote

Last Bermann engine I worked on was a 2332, the car was towed in. The #3 exhaust valve seat came out and jammed the valve open. On talking it apart, 2 other valve seats were loose. Also it was built with 311b rods that looked like they were clearanced on a bench grinder. The case was clearanced with an axe. The valve stems were stretched and the engine had signs of overheating.

The engine had 6000 miles and was a boat anchor.

We built a new long block for the customer but told him we would not reinstall the 911 shroud. He was also told if he installed there would be no warranty.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
busey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: High comp with dtm shroud? Reply with quote

busey wrote:
jeffrey8164 wrote:
Sweller341 wrote:

Years ago i saw an eye catching doublecab on the highway making a trek from Southern Cal to Central Cal and was shocked to see the inside of the engine compartment was sporting a Bernie Bergmann shroud. Ive asked that doublecabs owner who went by the name of "lizard" of Lizard Motorsports how his motor runs with that shroud and he has said, Just Fine! Shocked

Believe it or not, that doublecab is the one i saw hauling ass equipped with a Bernie Bergmann. How those Cali boys have been doing it, who knows, but they always seem to be several steps ahead of the rest of the field. VW Logo

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/quote]
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: High comp with dtm shroud? Reply with quote

Pat Downs said I'd be fine running my Bergmann fan on my new FI turbo 2332. He's built a lot of engines using them. FAT also uses them a lot.

To the OP, your factory shroud will be more than adequate for your needs. It will keep much larger engines with high compression cool. Higher compression doesn't nessasarily translate into higher engine temps.

brad
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: High comp with dtm shroud? Reply with quote

Just run a factory or 36hp shroud. More compression might not even raise temps if the compression is adequate for the valve events. Are you using another cam than stock?
Sweller341
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: High comp with dtm shroud? Reply with quote

bugguy1967 wrote:
Just run a factory or 36hp shroud. More compression might not even raise temps if the compression is adequate for the valve events. Are you using another cam than stock?

no
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: High comp with dtm shroud? Reply with quote

Hey week ago it was not available at the Type IV store. Just went back and it is back -- $625 8 -12 weeks.

To be honest the DTM is an amazing fan housing, it gets all 4 cylinders equal cooling -and the oil cooler- that said it and the Bernie stuff do not have Thermostats or vanes. But for warm weather guys, OK .. Or High Performance.

Cold climate like NY, you may never get running temp.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: High comp with dtm shroud? Reply with quote

Bama Dave wrote:
No longer available...

Not that the op needs one, but I thought The Type IV Store took over Jakes “stock” in the DTM shrouds.
https://type4store.com/conversion-cooling-systems/vw-type-1-dtm.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: High comp with dtm shroud? Reply with quote

8:1 on a 1600 won't kill it. Burn premium. I ran quite a few bus 1600 DP motors at 8:1 with no issues, stock DP doghouse shroud. I'd run 8:1 on my 2L T4 but 2L t4 already overheat, and I have to smog test so the NOX might go up quite a bit.
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: High comp with dtm shroud? Reply with quote

Yeah, what's high compression to you? 1. You can't run a stock carburetor with the DTM, so you'll need duals. 2. If you run dual 2-barrels, like 36 IDFs, you can safely run about 8.25:1 on 91 octane.

I installed a DTM shroud on a Type 1 that I built, and it was an absolute nightmare. It took about ten hours to do all the necessary mods to make it fit. There were huge issues. Go through my gallery and you'll see that I needed to mill off 3/8"-1/2" from my alternator stand to get the shroud low enough to bolt onto my heads.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: