Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Showing Dune Buggy
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bkhansen93
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:30 pm    Post subject: Showing Dune Buggy Reply with quote

Hey guys. There is a local car show in October I want to bring my buggy to. I used to show a 47’ Chevrolet Fleetline when I was 16 so I know the basics of showing cars but not dune buggies. They are unique in that none are the same and they weren’t based off a specific model. So my questions are, what class does a dune buggy fall into? Modified 19**-19**, import 19**-19**, special consideration? This particular show has a class specifically for rat rods and hot rods so I don't think it will go in there. My other question is what do you guys make sure is sorted out for the show? What is a must for a dune buggy that is going to be judged? I figured a clean (not dirty/well put together) engine is important so I brushed matte paint onto my worn and aging (yet fully functional, only cosmetically aging) areas.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

PS... I have the seemingly much more rare externally regulated alternator. Anyone know the years these were used on? My donor was a 74 SB
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Showing Dune Buggy Reply with quote

AL78 was late 73 to mid 74.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stevemariott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Showing Dune Buggy Reply with quote

I'd put it in whatever class it might best fit - be it special interest, or modified, or import, or . . . ?

As far as what should be sorted out, that's a great question. My car is not a show car by any means, but when I have entered into a show I just try to make sure everything is as clean and detailed as possible.

Also, it depends on who is judging, and what they're looking for. Every event I enter in is far from an "International Show Car Association" type of event, and half of the time everyone votes on the buggy that has a giant flaming neon skull airbrushed on the hood with VW logos for eyes, and everyone goes, "Whoa, that is just really cool, man, this car is the best" and ignores rust and scrapes on the rest of the car.

Bkhansen93 wrote:
Hey guys. There is a local car show in October I want to bring my buggy to. I used to show a 47’ Chevrolet Fleetline when I was 16 so I know the basics of showing cars but not dune buggies. They are unique in that none are the same and they weren’t based off a specific model. So my questions are, what class does a dune buggy fall into? Modified 19**-19**, import 19**-19**, special consideration? This particular show has a class specifically for rat rods and hot rods so I don't think it will go in there. My other question is what do you guys make sure is sorted out for the show? What is a must for a dune buggy that is going to be judged? I figured a clean (not dirty/well put together) engine is important so I brushed matte paint onto my worn and aging (yet fully functional, only cosmetically aging) areas.

Bkhansen93
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Showing Dune Buggy Reply with quote

Ya I could see that being an issue. Especially with a car that is already different like these are. The organization putting on the show is the same that does the local cruise nights around here. (Same thing but no awards or judges). Ive been to a lot of those and have only seen one other buggy and it was in rough shape. So maybe I have that going for me. But like you said it probably depends a lot on who is deciding on the cars.
manxvair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Showing Dune Buggy Reply with quote

I think a lot depends on the mindset of the Judges personal preferences and what they're looking for. We usually do something none of the other participants do and that is let people especially the little kids sit in the buggy and take pictures, the smile they walk away with is quite the reward in it self.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Showing Dune Buggy Reply with quote

When I take my buggy to shows I usually get lumped into "special interest", "other" or import classes. AS far as what judges are looking for. The devil is in the details. Most judges at car shows around here look over things like rock dings and minor blemishes that come from day to day usage and look for over all cleanliness and details and custom touches and how well the car is put together following a certain vision.

When I've been asked to judge shows I will look at the class and first look to see which car best represents that particular class. So for a buggy class I would look to see what was there. If there was one really cool offroad buggy and one really cool street buggy I would first look to see which car best carried out the theme of the build, if they both were build really well and represented said theme, I would then start looking at workmanship and custom details. To be honest cleanliness really only comes down to be important if the judging is really close in daily driver classes.

brad

brad
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Showing Dune Buggy Reply with quote

"Special Interest" or Volkswagen... Generally only car like this at local show.... But its a jerkwater town and show keeps getting smaller because all the trophies are the same, 1 per class with "Best of Class" label........

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Showing Dune Buggy Reply with quote

Rather go to mudfest. Hey yall, watch this. ......
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Showing Dune Buggy Reply with quote

cbeck wrote:
Rather go to mudfest. Hey yall, watch this. ......

Yeah... Seems like a lot of fun......

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Bkhansen93
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Showing Dune Buggy Reply with quote

This is a small town show. But I imagine due to the location of the town it attracts a lot of cars from the surrounding areas. Morris, IL is right on I80 and only about 10 minutes from I55 so it gets a lot of traffic. This show has 47 classes I think and 3 awards per class.
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Showing Dune Buggy Reply with quote

Never been impressed by the cheap plaques they award. The free event T-Shirt is more to my liking. All cars are meant to be driven - not locked away in a garage. Entering your car and talking with other gear heads is what you go to shows for. All usually have an interesting story of before and after work --- except for those that farm all the work out and write a check.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Showing Dune Buggy Reply with quote

I was just at our annual Cruz Weekend show last Sunday. 1000 cars and 40,000 people downtown. We had 16 VWs next to the Corvette Club display. We were surrounded by people all day and was just about hoarse by the time I got home, the Corvette guys, not so much.

brad
Bkhansen93
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Showing Dune Buggy Reply with quote

Wolfgangdieter wrote:
Never been impressed by the cheap plaques they award

No plaques here. Every year ive gone its been a table full of trophies

EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Showing Dune Buggy Reply with quote

I find My buggy needs to be watched at general car shows. Some people seem to think beach buggies are toys and you may find children crawling into or out of them, or trying to sit on the fenders, if left unattended. 50 year old gelcoat doesn't deserve that!
Hot Air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Showing Dune Buggy Reply with quote

My first buggy I showed at a large local event and they put me in the corvettes..yeah they were pissed when I came in second...lol
Good luck and just have a good time talking to everyone..you will be surprised at how many people will pass a chevy to talk to you...
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Showing Dune Buggy Reply with quote

I would have loved to see the corvette guys get butt hurt like that. Laughing
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Showing Dune Buggy Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
I find My buggy needs to be watched at general car shows. Some people seem to think beach buggies are toys and you may find children crawling into or out of them, or trying to sit on the fenders, if left unattended. 50 year old gelcoat doesn't deserve that!

Yup the few shows I did in Okinawa-I bought some plastic chain and concreted shovels in to buckets-people still stepped over and got in the buggy.

Cheap plaque that's actually kind a cool:

Next show is on the 31st-Kemnath Oldtimer Treffen-not doing a full set up for the show. Just cleaning it up because at around noon everyone actually goes for a cruise to another town for another show on the main street. This year we will go from Kemnath to Fichtelberg. The organizers do a great job of finding winding roads through the Bavarian Forests, shows are more fun this way. Looking forward to seeing all the rare cars and motorcycles here. A lot of NSU's show up a couple VW's and US cars; last year there was a steam powered auto that did the cruise.
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: Showing Dune Buggy Reply with quote

Bkhansen93 wrote:
Wolfgangdieter wrote:
Never been impressed by the cheap plaques they award

That right there is attitude! Shocked

This last July I entered my first ever Show and Shine with zero expectations of winning anything. Our Buggy is a driver and not a show car. We came home with one of those "cheap plaques" and I am right proud of it thank you very much!

The cheap plaques happen to be made by a local fellow in the community and I applaud the organizer of the show for supporting his community - that makes it even more special to me in a world where everything is bought off shore now!

Bkhansen93 wrote:
No plaques here. Every year ive gone its been a table full of trophies

Wow! You call that a small town show? Pretty impressive line up! How many entrants would there be?
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Showing Dune Buggy Reply with quote

We used to give out a lot of trophies for the pine wood derby. 90%said participant.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Showing Dune Buggy Reply with quote

Ours was for furthest distance driven to the event. It was covered with bugs by the time we got there, definitely not "show" condition!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: