Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The GoWesty front bumper mount hitch receiver
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
912 outlaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:37 pm    Post subject: The GoWesty front bumper mount hitch receiver Reply with quote

Hi anybody runnin 1 of these on there steel bumpers?

If so is it stated any where what kinda weight it can hold

I would assume not alot becauae the bumper is mounted to body with 2 small bolts and downward force from hitch.

Shed some light even though i think i answered my question
drj434343
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: The go westy front bumper mount hitchvreciever Reply with quote

I have this piece. It's poorly designed.

There are two large bolts intended to pass all the way through the front rail, under the bumper. The remaining 4 smaller bolts secure the receiver plate to the top of the bumper only.

The GW bumper sheet metal is far too thin for this type of direct mount. Any weight forward of the receiver cantilevers the whole unit; hinging on the two large bolts and flexing the entire top of the bumper in the process.

In testing, as little as 50 lbs 18 in from the receiver dangerously flexed the bumper and drooped the load several inches. I was going to us a small motorcycle carrier, and basket for coolers, etc on this hitch, and decided that as designed, it was not sufficient.

Perhaps it would perform better with loads perpendicular to the axis of the large bolts (like winching the car from this point), but any loads downward on the receiver induced unreasonable flex.

I ended up enlarging the two rear holes of the mounting plate and putting two additional bolts all the way through the front rail like the original 2 bolts. Four points through this rail seems to greatly reduce the flex on right angle loading.

If you're willing to modify, I think you can safely carry a cargo basket with 100 lbs, but if not, I would look elsewhere for a better solution.
Vnyd Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: The GoWesty front bumper mount hitch receiver Reply with quote

I installed one specifically for a bike rack and those kinds of accessories. When I finally get a rear hitch I’ll try a Waterport up there too. Mine is unmodified and holds my rack, two adult bikes and two kids bikes with no issue. I’ve got an older GW bumper from circa 2004. Were they thicker then? Anyways OP, it’s effective for what it is. Take your time on install and marking your drill holes to get a smooth lineup for installing bolts. GL
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: The GoWesty front bumper mount hitch receiver Reply with quote

I have one on my 1990 Westy. I added two pipes between the bumper edges over the through-bolts. I carry a Honda ST90 up front with no problems (150 lbs)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mtnride1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: The GoWesty front bumper mount hitch receiver Reply with quote

I just checked mine. I carry my waterport there mine is rock solid. standing on it I could not make it flex at all.

Vnyd Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: The GoWesty front bumper mount hitch receiver Reply with quote

mtnride1 wrote:
I just checked mine. I carry my waterport there mine is rock solid. standing on it I could not make it flex at all.

Hey! This is the exact setup I’d like. Is that the RMW light bar mounted to the older GW bumper? I’ve wanted the bar but wasn’t sure if it would interfere with hitch mountings because I wasn’t clear how much arc or curve there is to the bar. No issues? I gotta get a Waterport. How’s it working out?
mtnride1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: The GoWesty front bumper mount hitch receiver Reply with quote

Vnyd Dog wrote:
mtnride1 wrote:

Hey! This is the exact setup I’d like. Is that the RMW light bar mounted to the older GW bumper? I’ve wanted the bar but wasn’t sure if it would interfere with hitch mountings because I wasn’t clear how much arc or curve there is to the bar. No issues? I gotta get a Waterport. How’s it working out?

The set up works fine, no interference at all. As I remember I think we had to tweak the spots where it mounted to the bumper but is was no problem. The Waterport is great, on pot of hot water with the 3gallons and I have a nice hot shower
surfinwesty Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: The GoWesty front bumper mount hitch receiver Reply with quote

Vnyd Dog wrote:
I installed one specifically for a bike rack and those kinds of accessories. When I finally get a rear hitch I’ll try a Waterport up there too. Mine is unmodified and holds my rack, two adult bikes and two kids bikes with no issue. I’ve got an older GW bumper from circa 2004. Were they thicker then? Anyways OP, it’s effective for what it is. Take your time on install and marking your drill holes to get a smooth lineup for installing bolts. GL

My vangaon aspiration...a few bikes on the front GO WESTY bumer!!!

Well done!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: