Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Headlight switch needed in Rhode Island/CT (solved)
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
brooklynvan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:56 pm    Post subject: Headlight switch needed in Rhode Island/CT (solved) Reply with quote

Anyone in Rhode Island have a headlight switch for a 90?
Have a friend set to borrow the van for a week tomorrow and tonight on the way to the beach the dash lights werent working. Headlights work fine.
I took the switch out and tested the terminals and I get nothing from the 58B and 58E terminals to the 30 terminals which I believe run those lights.
I took it all apart and cleaned it, but it looks like a few of the contacts are totally worn out.
FWIW the rheostat has continuity and looks fine.
If anyone in Rhode Island or South Eastern CT has one I'd love to grab it from you in the morning. I'm in Charlestown RI at the moment.
feel free to call or text me 917.545.8614
RIP 1986 Saab turbo
and my daily commuter: a Bicycle

Last edited by brooklynvan on Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:43 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight switch needed in Rhode Island/CT Reply with quote

Did you check the fuse for the dash lighting?

Mark
brooklynvan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight switch needed in Rhode Island/CT Reply with quote

The fuse is fine at least the fuse I believe to be the correct one for the dash lights.
I did not see a "secret" fuse in my panel as mentioning in some other posts on this topic.
From my understanding of the wiring the #30 post on the switch is where the power comes into the switch for the dash lights and then it passes through the rheostat to power the lights.
There is no continuity in the switch when it's on from the #30 to the #58 pins on either side of the rheostat.
RIP 1986 Saab turbo
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight switch needed in Rhode Island/CT Reply with quote

Check fuse #20 counting starting on the left at #1

90 could be 2 different headlight switches and the different wiring puts the fuse in 2 different spot. Early is above the relays. Later is #20

If factory DRL then I'm not sure what fuse.

Mark
brooklynvan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:38 am    Post subject: FIXED: Headlight switch needed in Rhode Island/CT Reply with quote

Fixed it!
seems to have been the dirty contacts. After cleaning all the contacts in the switch and putting it back together and back in the van, it works fine.
For anyone taking apart the headlight switch, be careful! it has 10 small springs and a ball bearing that the rocker switch rides on, getting it all back together in the right place is tricky, but possible. don't lose the springs as the contacts need to ride on them.
RIP 1986 Saab turbo
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: