Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon insurance in B.C. in September 2019
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:57 am    Post subject: Vanagon insurance in B.C. in September 2019 Reply with quote

Hi Friends...
I just found out that there will be a lot of major changes to the insurance system in BC starting in September. I will be insuring my new "BCvan" right on Sept 5th > the first time for me insuring a vehicle in BC for 20 years! I am just shocked and amazed at the extremely high cost of insuring a vehicle in BC, and I hope that the new system will mean more competition and lower prices for those of us who drive safely.

Does anyone know of any tricks to get cheaper premiums in the new system? I read that if you drive less than 5,000km per year your premiums can go down.
Also if our cars have original AEB braking systems we get a discount... do we have that??

Thanks a lot for any wisdom or advice.
Ed
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon insurance in B.C. in September 2019 Reply with quote

No one knows what the costs will be, not even the Autoplan agents! We just have to wait until the new system is implemented.

When I lived in Vancouver I kept costs down by choosing the higher deductible options, betting on the idea that I probably won't have to use my insurance for anything for a number of years so if and when I do, the higher deductible would be offset by what I saved in premiums.
Since moving to a small town the savings with this strategy are minimal.

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Robinson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon insurance in B.C. in September 2019 Reply with quote

... Changing to serve us better ...

Well ICBC as a monopoly lost about a billion last year so don't expect premiums to be going down, even with the 'new' system.

There is going to be a 5% discount if over a full year you use your vehicle less than 5,000km

Accident and ratings are going to be based by driver not policy. So if I have a vehicle insured and let someone else drive, and they have a crash, it is their driving record that looses the discount. My policy would still pay out, but in the new system I would not have my 43% good drive discount affected.

In the new system, policies can have named drivers with their personal good driver discounts taken into effect, which in theory could reduce premiums. Even if you have only two named drivers, other drivers can still use your insurance on an occasional basis.

When I moved from Alberta getting ICBC to recognize my 12 years good driving record was difficult. BC being BC decided that 12 years of good Alberta driving was the equivalent of 7 years good BC driving???? Good luck on foreign licence no claim recognition, but if you can get some foreign insurance no claims records BC may be generous ...

No new competition so no changes there.

Nope our old vehicles have nothing that gives us a discount, especially AEB (come on Automatic Emergancy Braking on our vehicles). AEB is a system that automatically applied the brakes if the distance between yourself and the car in from rapidly reduces.

If you check the new brochure from ICBC, on the back, at the bottom, is a picture of someone being robbed at gun point, with the new moto of "ICBC, first your money, then your clothes"

... But BC is a fine place to live, so ICBC is just a 'cost of doing business'

Regards

Mike
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon insurance in B.C. in September 2019 Reply with quote

Yeah, car insurance is insanely high in Vancouver > one of the reasons I totally gave up driving for 17years!

I am wondering if anyone who's but I drove in BC totally safely from between 1985 and 1999, and was always getting 40% discount. Since then I have not driven in BC. Does anyone know if my previous safe driving record will apply just the same as before even tho I have not insured a vehicle in BC for 20 years?
I actually let my Drivers' License lapse and in 2015 had to make a totally new DL (bummer), so likely I would have to show them my previous DL to claim my safe drivers record.

I am now inquiring with my Czech insurance company if it is possible to get some paper proving that I have 4 years of safe driving in the EU. Maybe that will help.

The wonderful thing about driving in BC is the total absence of emissions and technical testing required - but insurance premiums are insanely high. I am not sure which is worse: expensive insurance or state tech exams.

Thanks again for any tips!
Ed
Mike Robinson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon insurance in B.C. in September 2019 Reply with quote

I don't know if ICBC will honor your good (old) driving record. Time to contact your insurance provider, thankfully they are all private so there are some really good ones out there. Just changed mine and I am really happy.

ICBC walks to the beat of its own drum and may throw you a bone. They have a scheme for new drivers (millenniums) that lets them avoid the sky high premiums until their first claim.

You just have to roll them dice ...

Good luck, and welcome back to ... The best place on earth ... Beautiful BC (both government slogans), but it is a great place to live, mind you as I live on the island I may be a bit skewed! To deal with that extra bit of paradise we get on the island we get BC Ferries to play with, they have been crazy busy this year, 2 sailing waits most weekends, and to the gulf islands super busy ... Thank goodness I ride a motorcycle (priority loading always to the front of the line) oh how BC.

Welcome!

M
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon insurance in B.C. in September 2019 Reply with quote

Yeah, nothing would surprise me and the sky-rocketing cost of everything in BC just boggles my mind. ...don't get me started Shocked Laughing

Wonderful to live in this Czech paradise also, and cost of living is reasonable (still)... but State Tech exams and the way in the EU you need a permit for every time you fart - after a while this becomes really irritating.

But I guess every place has it's pros and cons.

Finally if it is too expensive to insure in BC I just won't bother.... I'll just spend my month there working on the van. But it would be nice to have the van on the road to be able to drive around and pickup the stuff I will need to camperize.

Who knows - maybe this van will just end up being a spare apartment in my Mom's backyard >>> even at that it will be fully worth is considering the cost of rent in West Point Grey!
sphet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon insurance in B.C. in September 2019 Reply with quote

Our van is registered as a motorhome, pleasure use only. This made a big difference for our insurance. It's true that the lower mainland is more expensive than seems reasonable for all things, but that's the result of too much advertising of what a great place it is!

Hope you have a good visit.

S
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon insurance in B.C. in September 2019 Reply with quote

sphet wrote:
Our van is registered as a motorhome, pleasure use only. This made a big difference for our insurance. It's true that the lower mainland is more expensive than seems reasonable for all things, but that's the result of too much advertising of what a great place it is!

You mean, what a great place it WAS Very Happy Very Happy ...joking, it's still amazing.

Motorhome? Funny thing is that here in Czech I MUST insure as a motorhome and it makes the rates go way up.

What kind of reduction do you get as motorhome compared to normal daily driver?
sphet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon insurance in B.C. in September 2019 Reply with quote

I can't remember the exact rates as I don't have a daily driver (bus/cycle to work), and I made the switch over years ago. Worth asking the agent, though.
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon insurance in B.C. in September 2019 Reply with quote

sphet wrote:
I can't remember the exact rates as I don't have a daily driver (bus/cycle to work), and I made the switch over years ago. Worth asking the agent, though.

Mine is still in tintop condition. I wonder if it still can be insured as a motorhome like this. I does have a bed.
beach_creature
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon insurance in B.C. in September 2019 Reply with quote

The RV insurance for the westy is WAY cheaper than what you would be paying otherwise. It’s somewhere around 1200/year in the lower mainland with 3 million liability.
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon insurance in B.C. in September 2019 Reply with quote

beach_creature wrote:
The RV insurance for the westy is WAY cheaper than what you would be paying otherwise. It’s somewhere around 1200/year in the lower mainland with 3 million liability.

That's cool! ...but as I was asking - I wonder if they would allow me to insure it that way since it is a tintop [although the FACT is that that is exactly what this van IS/will be, a motorhome]. I wonder if it would be better to finish up the camperization before insuring it?
beach_creature
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon insurance in B.C. in September 2019 Reply with quote

what is it insured as right now? I think you should go to an autoplan and see what they can do. You might have to change how it is registered.
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon insurance in B.C. in September 2019 Reply with quote

beach_creature wrote:
what is it insured as right now? I think you should go to an autoplan and see what they can do. You might have to change how it is registered.

I think it is now registered as a passenger van... it seats 7 as is.
Yeah, I don't know how it works... in Czech my van is registered as a motorhome, so obviously it is insured as such (higher rate over here for some reason).
I would imagine that I would actually have to convert it to a camper before I could register it as a camper, and I would have to have it registered as a camper before I could insure it as a camper....
Mike Robinson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon insurance in B.C. in September 2019 Reply with quote

I think you may need a Westy (or similar) to get the motor home insurance.

I pay $350 a year for comprehensive and $2million liability. The ICBC bit $200,000 liability and plate I forget how much that is, but probably around $800 per year, but I only run my Westy for 6-7 months a year.

I had to do photos etc to get the policy.

There is a lower rate for pleasure only, which basically means you are not driving it to work, but in true ICBC style ... You can! Something silly like less than 10 days a month.

One good thing about ICBC ... Is you can insure a vehicle for a minimum of 3 months.

Sorry to hear the permit EEC challenges, one word ... BREXIT. Spoken as a Brit.

M
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon insurance in B.C. in September 2019 Reply with quote

Mike Robinson wrote:

One good thing about ICBC ... Is you can insure a vehicle for a minimum of 3 months.

But if you only want to insure for 1 month, you can insure for 12 months, then cancel and get 11month refund, no?
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon insurance in B.C. in September 2019 Reply with quote

Your VIN will dictate the classification of the vehicle and thus, the insurance. You can't say "hey, I sleep in it and I have a porta-potty and camping stove so it's a motorhome".
I think if you have modified the vehicle enough there is a process to have the classification changed but I've never looked into it.
My insurance for pleasure use is about $1200 per year with the full safe driver discount.
If you purchase for a whole year and then cancel early there will be a refund but there is a penalty.

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Robinson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon insurance in B.C. in September 2019 Reply with quote

Remember ICBC's moto? 'First your money, then your clothes'

Yes you can insure for 3 months, use for 1 then cancel and get a 'refund', but it gets a bit expensive to do this ... As you have to cancel your plates, so next time you insure you have to buy new plates (only $30ish) then there is an administration fee, etc. You will probably end up owing them money to cancel.

Flexibility is not a hallmark of ICBC.

What is not to love about a government monopoly insurance company?

Why not rent a car for a month?

M
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon insurance in B.C. in September 2019 Reply with quote

photogdave wrote:
Your VIN will dictate the classification of the vehicle and thus, the insurance. You can't say "hey, I sleep in it and I have a porta-potty and camping stove so it's a motorhome".
I think if you have modified the vehicle enough there is a process to have the classification changed but I've never looked into it.
My insurance for pleasure use is about $1200 per year with the full safe driver discount.
If you purchase for a whole year and then cancel early there will be a refund but there is a penalty.

This makes sense.
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon insurance in B.C. in September 2019 Reply with quote

Mike Robinson wrote:

What is not to love about a government monopoly insurance company?

Oh nothing! Nothing at all...

What I can't figure out is how they can actually be losing money! ...well, on second thought I could probably figure out a few reasons why that might be happening. Evil or Very Mad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: