Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Im back, didn't plan to, but a 1970 found its way to me
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
brewtech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:44 pm    Post subject: Im back, didn't plan to, but a 1970 found its way to me Reply with quote

Ive had several Aircooled VWs in last 25 years, and swore I was done with aircooled cars, simply due to price increases, and moved on to 90s Jaguar coupes, Porsche 944 and Alfas. During this period I picked up an Alfa that sat and sat. One day I got it back on the road, drove it for 2 years, then decided to sell it. A buyer showed up and after 3 days of courting, he offered to trade me his 1970 beetle with a laundry list of issues. But it ran, and it had good bones. So here we are. I traded for the Beetle which I thought would make me lose money, and my mind, Instead I started to feel real good about it, and the project began.
1. Replaced drums with disc brakes.
2. Removed the 1600cc and dropped in a 1776cc with dual carbs.
3. Lowered it, narrow beam, and replaced every bushing and seal. Front and rear.
4 .New wheels, new tires
5. Started driving hard, and aggressively, mostly mountain climbs in Malibu, Ca

The results have been mind blowing! The cars tracks straight and cuts corners crisply. Wider tires are a must, but I have intentionally built a canyon car that has become a bit of a troll. The power and sound gets attention from all of the mountain cars Im encountering, especially Pcars. Its good to be back.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Im back, didn't plan to, but a 1970 found its way to me Reply with quote

Welcome back to the fold!
These damn little cars get in your blood. Like an incurable disease. It just cannot be cured.

I really like corner carver cars. Mine is a 67 beetle that frequently does a mountain pass that really tests the brakes on the down grade.
But it's a hellufa lot of fun to catch up on modern cars on the upgrades.
They just cannot figure out how an old beetle is stalking the rear of their 2019 whatever supposed greatest handling car. Very Happy

Please post more pics. Most hear as you know cannot read! Shocked But love pics of successful builds and road cars.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Im back, didn't plan to, but a 1970 found its way to me Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Double post.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!

Last edited by 67rustavenger on Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:44 am; edited 1 time in total
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Im back, didn't plan to, but a 1970 found its way to me Reply with quote

Nice ride!

Yes, more pictures! Please!

Reading is not a thing I like to do, so, more pictures!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Im back, didn't plan to, but a 1970 found its way to me Reply with quote

Sweet bug and one of the best colours too for good measure Cool
brewtech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Im back, didn't plan to, but a 1970 found its way to me Reply with quote

Thank you. They are amazing little cars, and has been bringing a lot of smiles when I drive it around town. What a blessing. Will post more pics soon
brewtech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Im back, didn't plan to, but a 1970 found its way to me Reply with quote

[/img]
candyflame73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Im back, didn't plan to, but a 1970 found its way to me Reply with quote

I dig it! Love the wheels......look proper.
candyflame73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Im back, didn't plan to, but a 1970 found its way to me Reply with quote

I dig it! Love the wheels......look proper.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Im back, didn't plan to, but a 1970 found its way to me Reply with quote

Very nice Beetle. Have you thought about installing a pair of aftermarket sport seats that will hold you in place better during your hard curve driving?

You may know that the rear suspension's semi-trailing arm design of the Porsche 944 (originally 924) was taken from the IRS suspension of the Beetle?

In the '90's and '00's I was able to discover many of the mountain roads in that area, when I would be in Oxnard on business. My fave road is Yerba Buena just off the north end of the Neptune's Net parking lot along US 1. Or further inland, the road which was part of the original The Love Bug movie (El Dorado race, day 2)- Little Tujunga Canyon Rd, west to east, where Herbie passes many cars in the twisty downhill curves.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Im back, didn't plan to, but a 1970 found its way to me Reply with quote

This section of Little Tujunga; @ 14 thru 39 seconds-

Link
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: