Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The New 6 Volt Voltage Regulator
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:57 pm    Post subject: The New 6 Volt Voltage Regulator Reply with quote

Anyone tried one of these yet? https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-113-903-801-C
brass gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: The New 6 Volt Voltage Regulator Reply with quote

Yep. Got one for my ‘64 when my original crapped out and I could not for the life of me adjust it or get it to work after I ‘fixed’ it. Ordered one up, installed and waited what seemed like forever before the charging light went out. Output was about 7.3 volts at around 2000 rpm if i remember. So far, so good. This was about 4 months ago. It was BBT branded. Working well and the old cover will bolt on for looks. Very Happy
Rob
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: The New 6 Volt Voltage Regulator Reply with quote

I am trying to design my own. The Idea is it could mount inside an original 6 volt mechanical regulator housing. It would need some kind of a shunt to measure current, voltage & current comparators, barrier diodes and a MOSFET Transistor for control.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: The New 6 Volt Voltage Regulator Reply with quote

Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: The New 6 Volt Voltage Regulator Reply with quote

I have a working prototype:

The electronic regulator pulses a MOSFET with a signal to power the generators field. Here Hi is charge, Lo is not charging. The wave form will vary in time hi to achieve the set output voltage . Generator output Levels from 6.3 volts to 10 volts can be set with a turn of the 500 ohm pot.

Scope:

Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: The New 6 Volt Voltage Regulator Reply with quote

Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: The New 6 Volt Voltage Regulator Reply with quote

Prototype 2:

Prototype 3:

67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The New 6 Volt Voltage Regulator Reply with quote

Nice work there Dan. Way far over my head. But I like that your are doing this at home.
A question! What does the potentiometer (< I don't think I spelled that correctly) do? Does it help to get the generator output set correctly?

Just curious.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: The New 6 Volt Voltage Regulator Reply with quote

Yes it sets the generator output voltage. Adjustable from 6 to 10 volts. Care must be taken to not set it too high. I keep it set it to charge the Optima Battery in the car at 7.0 volts. Also there is a pot on the circuit board for setting the current limit which I set by turning on the hi beam headlights and adjust the voltage up to 8 volts then adjust the current pot to just begin limiting. Then go back to 7 volts.

There is another potentiometer for calibrating and interfacing the el chapo current display. Also made a over voltage alarm circuit that's behind the dash that sounds off if the voltage there goes above 7.4 volts.

heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: The New 6 Volt Voltage Regulator Reply with quote

I've heard good things about those solid state regulators.

Why not hide one inside the bug somewhere and run wires under the original one? That way the original one is there as a landmark but the real deal is inside out of the heat.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: The New 6 Volt Voltage Regulator Reply with quote

Actually it's a great idea, problems arise like F and DF where F wire needs very low resistance and DF needs high current.
I remember the 6 volt mechanical regulators bolted to the generator in VW Beetles. Not sure about the 6 Volt Bus or. Ghia The 356's mounted very heavy duty Bosch mechanical very nearby on the fire wall.

The circuit board will fit inside an old regulator housing:

Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: The New 6 Volt Voltage Regulator Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
Actually it's a great idea, problems arise like F and DF where F wire needs very low resistance and DF needs high current.
I remember the 6 volt mechanical regulators bolted to the generator in VW Beetles. Not sure about the 6 Volt Bus or. Ghia The 356's mounted very heavy duty Bosch mechanical very nearby on the fire wall.

The circuit board will fit inside an old regulator housing:

6v type 3 were under the back seat, drivers side

I do like the adjustability of the voltage. 8v to the headlights makes a world of difference
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The New 6 Volt Voltage Regulator Reply with quote

Definitely some places to hide it although the 6 volt Type 3 Generator has it's wiring coming out the closer end to the back seat.
Probably the best place on the bug is inside an original regulator housing. The components that heat up are the cut-out diodes and the shunt used for current regulation Perhaps use 2 cut-out diodes (STPS40L14C) with 2 20Amp Schottky diodes each mounted to the housing or the bottom of a mechanical regulator. The diodes heat at about 7.5 watts per pair under full load. In addition the electronic regulator uses 2 shunts, copper coils that get warm with the headlights on.

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: The New 6 Volt Voltage Regulator Reply with quote

Dan - now just fit them into a D shaped case and pop them out for $395 each.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: The New 6 Volt Voltage Regulator Reply with quote

Some preA 356 had the regulator under the dashboard, very far from the generator.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: The New 6 Volt Voltage Regulator Reply with quote

Wow! Might work up front since the battery is there in the 356's. I wonder if the Pre-A's had the same neg ground (bootstrap field to ground to make charge generator) as the later ones and beetles. My 56A had a huge regulator I think it had 3 sets of relays instead of 2 and it was very well behaved.

Well I have been figuring out how to put the electronics into a vw reg housing.
Took my first one I built apart and cut the coils out of a VW 6 Volt Reg and so forth and so on. This is what I came up with. Probably will need better heat sink for the cut-out diodes. I just mounted it on the output arm of the vw reg.

At 50 amps and .34 volts it will be dissipating 17 Watts.

Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: The New 6 Volt Voltage Regulator Reply with quote

Link

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: The New 6 Volt Voltage Regulator Reply with quote

Very cool.

I think it needs to be higher at idle though?
I think the dash light would be on solid at 4-5v (I could be wrong though)
I think my original regulator is around 6v at idle and goes up to a little above 7v at higher revs.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: The New 6 Volt Voltage Regulator Reply with quote

Thanks for the input "EverettB"

In the video the voltage display shows the output voltage at the B+ terminal of the regulator which is .3 volts less than D+ So If this particular generator regulator combo idling produces 3.5 volts at slow idle then a generator lamp (if it had one) would see about 6volts - 3.5volts -.3volts or 2.8volts.(Note no Battery is used for a load just one 6 volt headlamp.)

If With a new generator and a mechanical voltage regulator there is no Gen Lamp on at slow Idle then thats better. Note this video is with my first prototype design. Prototypes 2 and 3 are better. These electronic regulators are adjustable from 6 to over 9 volts with the engine reved and are excellent at holding the set voltage.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: The New 6 Volt Voltage Regulator Reply with quote

This is another good thread about 6 Volt Electronic Voltage Regulators. Solid state 6 volt regulator.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: