Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Process of rebuild, replacing heads, new exhaust & misc 1977 FI
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Process of rebuild, replacing heads, new exhaust & misc 1977 FI Reply with quote

orwell84 wrote:
SGKent wrote:
cmonSTART wrote:
Ok, please explain that pre oiler to me. How does that work?

You fill it with about a quart of oil and pressurize it so it pushes oil into the system then pray there are no leaks. Unfortunately in this case one of the gallery plugs leaked, so we will see if we can fix it with a slightly oversize plug. If not it is use the old case.

Which one. I’m sure you can manage it. What did you end up doing with the one that has the fuel pump pushrod behind it in the earlier cases?

I thought it was only the one for the fuel pump pushrod but a second one was weeping.

I found the largest OD 3/8" plugs I have in my batch of plugs, used Loctite 518 on them, and tightened them as tight as I can. In the morning I will check them. If there are leaks I see three solutions - take apart and have someone weld it closed, put in aluminum plugs and see if I can get it as it is assembled to my guy to TIG the plug to the case, or disassemble the engine and use the old case. Actually this changes everything. I was going to try to find the lite whine in the trans but now I will test the engine tomorrow, and if Ok, then put it in the bus and break it in. If it leaks then when SARS-2 vaccines come out pull it and rebuild it again. If it holds then when SARS-2 vaccines come out pull the trans and find the whine. I used Loctite 565 - same as the FI case before it, same plugs, same taps but they leaked. I can't understand it. Frankly I suspect that aluminum plugs with a small TIG weld are going to be the final solution. The aluminum in this new case was a lot harder, and tapped much nastier than the older heat cycled case.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Process of rebuild, replacing heads, new exhaust & misc 1977 FI Reply with quote

Still weeping oil. Also the one on the fuel block off is doing it too. Have to wonder if something was wrong with the sealant. Will get some 7/8 taper plugs and see if that and another sealant stops it. Threads look fine.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

RalphWiggam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Process of rebuild, replacing heads, new exhaust & misc 1977 FI Reply with quote

Dang. Thats the exact same thing that happened to me except my engine was installed in the bus.

Was a massive pain in the ass the remove and reinstall the engine 4 times to chase down the plugs leaking.

Got them all tight now. Except one right next to the oil cooler that leaks just a tiny bit. Ive been putting it off because I have to disassemble the shroud and everything to get to it.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Process of rebuild, replacing heads, new exhaust & misc 1977 FI Reply with quote

RalphWiggam wrote:
Dang. Thats the exact same thing that happened to me except my engine was installed in the bus.

Was a massive pain in the ass the remove and reinstall the engine 4 times to chase down the plugs leaking.

Got them all tight now. Except one right next to the oil cooler that leaks just a tiny bit. Ive been putting it off because I have to disassemble the shroud and everything to get to it.

used the steel ones with the dashes on them - they are supposed to be dryseal. Who knows. I wrapped them really well with teflon tape and used a good teflon sealant, put them in really tight. Still leak. I am done with this case. I'll use the older FI case that worked fine otherwise, and when I have time clean this one and put in natural aluminum plugs and have them tigged where they join the case, or I will just have the holes tigged over. This case has been nothing but trouble since it arrived. Oh Well. This thread is over as there is no need to document it a second time. Maybe the new tap was defective and left the angles wrong. Who knows. I don't have time to play with getting these not to leak.
RalphWiggam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Process of rebuild, replacing heads, new exhaust & misc 1977 FI Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
RalphWiggam wrote:

used the steel ones with the dashes on them - they are supposed to be dryseal. Who knows. I wrapped them really well with teflon tape and used a good teflon sealant, put them in really tight. Still leak. I am done with this case. I'll use the older FI case that worked fine otherwise, and when I have time clean this one and put in natural aluminum plugs and have them tigged where they join the case, or I will just have the holes tigged over. This case has been nothing but trouble since it arrived. Oh Well. This thread is over as there is no need to document it a second time. Maybe the new tap was defective and left the angles wrong. Who knows. I don't have time to play with getting these not to leak.

Your call, but it were me Id think it would be easier to chase down a leak at this point than strip it all back down and build it back up.

Especially since you have a way to pressurize the system outside of the bus. I would think if you can pressurize to 70-80lbs with no leaks, you are probably good to go. You could even fill it with some 0W oil just for the test to simulate a hot condition.
crownline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Process of rebuild, replacing heads, new exhaust & misc 1977 FI Reply with quote

Bummer. All that work now to tear it all apart. Sad
We have a saying when we install xray rooms. "We do it nice we do it twice"

"It"s got some dings and dents and neither of us is going to SEMA."(Update, I went to SEMA in 2019 but the Bus stayed home)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-8446.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Process of rebuild, replacing heads, new exhaust & misc 1977 FI Reply with quote

Sleep on it, walk away for awhile. The solution will come to you when you have let go of it for awhile.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Process of rebuild, replacing heads, new exhaust & misc 1977 FI Reply with quote

I picked up some longer 3/4 taper NPTF plugs. If those fix it great but I am not holding my breath. Most likely I will use the old case and then clean this one, put in natural aluminum plugs and have them tigged to the case. No leak then sell the case. If the new plugs hold great but I know where the leak is, plugs just aren't sealing up. My guess is that the new tap is at fault.

edit: got the new 1/2" long NPTF plugs and put them in with fresh Loctite 567. Waiting for it to set. Took quite a bit more forced to tighten them. we'll see if they hold. If not it comes apart.

8pm - did a test of two quarts of oil up to 100 psi and then held pressure for a couple more minutes around 30 - 40 psi. Holding. Will know in the morning if there were any leaks overnight. Have no way to hold pressure overnight. These are the plugs that may have worked. https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/1181134
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Process of rebuild, replacing heads, new exhaust & misc 1977 FI Reply with quote

engine is back in. Won't know more until everything is hooked up and adjusted. Knee has been really painful for a couple weeks, and boy was that a challenge.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Process of rebuild, replacing heads, new exhaust & misc 1977 FI Reply with quote

Engine carrier adjusted and torqued, 2 center trans bolts in and torqued - it helps to lift the trans a little when putting them in, and the trans front mount is done and torqued. Helps to put a little blue Loctite on them. Bowden on and clutch cable adjusted to 7/8" free play. Backup terminals on and ground strap. Should come close to finishing it tomorrow.
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Process of rebuild, replacing heads, new exhaust & misc 1977 FI Reply with quote

Fingers crossed 🙂
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Process of rebuild, replacing heads, new exhaust & misc 1977 FI Reply with quote

unless I run into something that is worth mentioning, this is the list of items still to do. Photos and a more in depth explanation aren't needed.

1. Fuel clip on hose under car
2. Install fuel lines
3. Install engine foam seal
4. Install heater bellows and cables
5. Clean and repack CV joints
6. Install CV joints
7. Trans nose boot and coupler
8. Starter Wires
9. Install and wire tie oil sender wire
10. Install oil filler part
11. Hoses, Throttle cable nut, and AFM install
12. Install AFM harness plug
13. Put engine cover back
14. ECU connect
15. Left Air hose
16. Right Air hose
17. Double relay and resistor pack
18. Add wire ties as needed
19. Head temp wire
20. Oil sender wire
21. Shroud air canister hose
22. Put wire ties on and coil wire
23. Shroud Chassis ground strap
24. Hook Up Battery
25. Connect battery charger
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Process of rebuild, replacing heads, new exhaust & misc 1977 FI Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
unless I run into something that is worth mentioning, this is the list of items still to do. Photos and a more in depth explanation aren't needed.

2. Install fuel lines
6. Install CV joints
8. Starter Wires
14. ECU connect
15. Left Air hose
16. Right Air hose
19. Head temp wire
20. Oil sender wire
24. Hook Up Battery

Do you know of anyone that carries the fuel hose clips?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Process of rebuild, replacing heads, new exhaust & misc 1977 FI Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
SGKent wrote:

2. Install fuel lines
6. Install CV joints
8. Starter Wires
14. ECU connect
15. Left Air hose
16. Right Air hose
19. Head temp wire
20. Oil sender wire
24. Hook Up Battery

Napa carries the Lisle ones I use. Amazon does to. https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-22850-Hose-Pincher/dp...6286796225
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Process of rebuild, replacing heads, new exhaust & misc 1977 FI Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
ivwshane wrote:
SGKent wrote:

2. Install fuel lines
6. Install CV joints
8. Starter Wires
14. ECU connect
15. Left Air hose
16. Right Air hose
19. Head temp wire
20. Oil sender wire
24. Hook Up Battery

Napa carries the Lisle ones I use. Amazon does to. https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-22850-Hose-Pincher/dp...6286796225

Sorry, I thought it was something else. I was talking about the three or four fuel line clips that hold the fuel lines to the undercarriage. They are circular clips.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Process of rebuild, replacing heads, new exhaust & misc 1977 FI Reply with quote

you can use GM ones found at any large FLAPS in either wiring or on those small parts racks, or if you want the originals ask someone like Ken Madsen at TheBusco to get you some. He is where I got a bunch of those from for my bus.

I believe they are NLA 211-201-249A
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Process of rebuild, replacing heads, new exhaust & misc 1977 FI Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
you can use GM ones found at any large FLAPS in either wiring or on those small parts racks, or if you want the originals ask someone like Ken Madsen at TheBusco to get you some. He is where I got a bunch of those from for my bus.

I believe they are NLA 211-201-249A

That comes up as ignition wire clips.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Process of rebuild, replacing heads, new exhaust & misc 1977 FI Reply with quote

might be. they are also used under the bus. part number 7 in the fiche see: http://www.michaelknappmann.de/bulli/michaelk/vw_bus_d/fiche/t201830.html
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Process of rebuild, replacing heads, new exhaust & misc 1977 FI Reply with quote

Same clips; thanks for the pn!
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Process of rebuild, replacing heads, new exhaust & misc 1977 FI Reply with quote

Wednesday Oct 21

knee a little better today, able to work on bus.

Done:
Done Fuel clips come off on hose under car
Done Replace and Install fuel lines
Done Replace and Install engine foam seal
Done Install heater bellows and cables
Done Starter Wires
Done Install and wire tie oil temp sender wire
Not needed - Clean and repack CV joints -

To Do:
6. Install CV joints

14. ECU connect
15. Left Air hose
16. Right Air hose
19. Head temp wire
20. Oil sender wire
24. Hook Up Battery
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 15

Jump to: