Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Process of rebuild, replacing heads, new exhaust & misc 1977 FI
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Process of rebuild, replacing heads, new exhaust & misc 1977 FI Reply with quote

Saturday October 24

Knee felt a little better today so I crawled under bus again.

Wednesday Oct 21

knee a little better today, able to work on bus.

Done:
Install CV joints and torqued to 25 ft lbs twice around on all 4 CV
Trans nose boot and coupler, safety wired - checked to be sure trans shifts
Wire tied last area of oil temp sender wire away from exhaust
Checked trans fluid w/ bus level - was same as when checked w/ trans level
Inspected work to see if missed anything under there
Picked up the last of the tools lying around
Lowered bus off jack stands

To Do:
10. Install oil filler top part
11. Hoses, Throttle cable nut, and AFM install
12. Install AFM harness plug
13. Put engine cover back
14. ECU connect
15. Left Air hose
16. Right Air hose
17. Double relay and resistor pack
18. Add wire ties as needed
19. Head temp wire
20. Oil sender wires
21. Shroud air canister hose
22. Put wire ties on and coil wire
23. Shroud Chassis ground strap
24. Install gravel guard on bumper
25. Install Catalytic back
26. Hook Up Battery and charge
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Process of rebuild, replacing heads, new exhaust & misc 1977 FI Reply with quote

Thank you! You reminded me that I need to safety write the coupler!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Process of rebuild, replacing heads, new exhaust & misc 1977 FI Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
Thank you! You reminded me that I need to safety write the coupler!

Harbor Freight has an inexpensive set of safety wire pliers ($10) The easiest way to do it. If you have never seen or uses a pair of these of similar they are really slick. You pinch the two pieces of wire, and then gently pull the knob. Makes a nice even twist. I've had a set a friend gave me back in the 1970's and they get it right every time.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

https://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-safety-wire-t...gLC3fD_BwE

Link

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Process of rebuild, replacing heads, new exhaust & misc 1977 FI Reply with quote

Sunday October 25. It is done and lives. No fuel in the tank so it just ran for a second. I'll get gas in the morning and do a more thorough test. Lord willing, no leaks.

Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Process of rebuild, replacing heads, new exhaust & misc 1977 FI Reply with quote

Your dog just told me he wants to go and frolic on the beach up by Crescent City.

Bet if you get the thing full hot and run it WFO on I-5 for a few hours the trans with be quiet, too.

Time to go get everything 'Bedded in'..

What’s That Noise?!?
trailrunnerbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Process of rebuild, replacing heads, new exhaust & misc 1977 FI Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Sunday October 25. It is done and lives. No fuel in the tank so it just ran for a second. I'll get gas in the morning and do a more thorough test. Lord willing, no leaks.

that's a lot of well thought out zip ties.

how do you have your oil pressure sending unit mounted? that looks cleaner than you usually see.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Process of rebuild, replacing heads, new exhaust & misc 1977 FI Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
Your dog just told me he wants to go and frolic on the beach up by Crescent City.

Bet if you get the thing full hot and run it WFO on I-5 for a few hours the trans with be quiet, too.

Time to go get everything 'Bedded in'..

Scottish Terriers - they don't know when they are in over their head. They can be perfectly happy and abiding by the rules for months, suddenly see something they want to go after, and nothing can get their attention once they focus on it. Maybe a walk on a beach would be nice.

That said - the trans has quite a few trips to Yosemite on it and the whine is stable. Not sure what it is. I was going to take it apart to check all the bearings to see if one showed abnormal wear but smog is in January, so we'll live with the lite whine until after vaccinations and smog test. Thanks for the suggestion.

Do you have a favorite beach / camping area in Crescent City? Haven't been there since the mid 1970's. Do remember all the damage it had from the 1964 - 21' Tsunami that took out most of downtown.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Process of rebuild, replacing heads, new exhaust & misc 1977 FI Reply with quote

so far no drips in 20 minutes running and really good oil pressure with just 30 wt break in oil. Praise the Lord. Timing wanders a little trying to set it. The RPM keeps increasing at idle as the engine breaks in for 20 minutes running so that affects it when it get up around 1050 RPM. What is strange is that the RPM was about 200 RPM higher at idle than it was with the old engine. I wasn't expecting that. Not sure if that is a vacuum leak, or the higher compression. Generally idle changes aren't that great with no change of cam.

One thing that does get me, even with all the years experience, is getting the fan belt tension right. I still haven't figured an easy way on a type 4 engine to increase the belt tension just a tiny amount without loosening everything. Most engines one can loosen tension on the lock nut, and using a screwdriver or bar slightly increase the tension. Haven't figured how to do that on a type 4 yet. maybe a block of wood on something as a fulcrum or something like that.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Process of rebuild, replacing heads, new exhaust & misc 1977 FI Reply with quote

How about something like this?:

I'm sure there's commercially made ones as well, but a modified turn buckle isn't hard to whip up at home (pic robbed from the web).

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Process of rebuild, replacing heads, new exhaust & misc 1977 FI Reply with quote

No rebuilt transaxle is as quiet as a factory build.
VW had jigs and tooling that a regular shop will never have.
Best bet to get it quiet is to put a few thousand miles on it.
Dollars to donuts you pull it apart and everything looks fine.

If they don’t whine on accel they whine on coast.
New R/P? It’s guaranteed.

You should hear mine full of aftermarket racing gears;
Sounds like a city bus! Laughing

Everything up there on the North coast is beautiful!
There’s a perfect sunrise cup of coffee up there anywhere.
We always just go - open itinerary.
You can park a bus anywhere a car can park.
Some random neighborhood.. Wal Mart parking lot. Anywhere.

Aren’t you supposed to be retired?

Razz

What’s That Noise?!?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Process of rebuild, replacing heads, new exhaust & misc 1977 FI Reply with quote

I thought about something like that but the dip stick is in between. What I ended up doing is hold an aluminum block against the case and use a screwdriver to lever it while the engine was idling - tightened just until the belt started to stop vibrating. I am thinking that the hole in the shroud might be used with something that levers it.

Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Process of rebuild, replacing heads, new exhaust & misc 1977 FI Reply with quote

I always just put a big pry bar up in from underneath.

Have to be careful not to go too tight.

Since it’s just an alternator and no fan like a Beetle or water pump like a real car,
You can go easy on belt tension.

As long as your alignment is done well,
And your fan ring is concentric,
Then you can give your alternator bearings a break,
And run the belt relatively loose.

A v-belt grabs by design, even if a bit loose.

Less is best with belt tension IMO.

What’s That Noise?!?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Process of rebuild, replacing heads, new exhaust & misc 1977 FI Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
No rebuilt transaxle is as quiet as a factory build.
VW had jigs and tooling that a regular shop will never have.
Best bet to get it quiet is to put a few thousand miles on it.
Dollars to donuts you pull it apart and everything looks fine.

If they don’t whine on accel they whine on coast.
New R/P? It’s guaranteed.

You should hear mine full of aftermarket racing gears;
Sounds like a city bus! Laughing

Everything up there on the North coast is beautiful!
There’s a perfect sunrise cup of coffee up there anywhere.
We always just go - open itinerary.
You can park a bus anywhere a car can park.
Some random neighborhood.. Wal Mart parking lot. Anywhere.

Aren’t you supposed to be retired?

Razz

yes last year. The whine follows in input RPM. Ron Weddle suggested that maybe when it was sleeved by Donny, which it had to be, the center could have changed a thousandth or so. I am thinking it is the steel needle cages. VW used nylon ones with less rollers than Weddle sells. It isn't an awful sound.

The top of the belt hops. I tightened it just until the hop started to disappear. Before that it was just hand tight but I am afraid the hopping / vibration is what broke the bracket.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Process of rebuild, replacing heads, new exhaust & misc 1977 FI Reply with quote

also using the swivel feet adjusted the heads are so quiet that I am not accustomed to hearing all the other noises in the engine. It sounds fine but one hears things that the valve train used to drown out.
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Process of rebuild, replacing heads, new exhaust & misc 1977 FI Reply with quote

Turn up your radio.

Smile
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Process of rebuild, replacing heads, new exhaust & misc 1977 FI Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
I thought about something like that but the dip stick is in between. What I ended up doing is hold an aluminum block against the case and use a screwdriver to lever it while the engine was idling - tightened just until the belt started to stop vibrating. I am thinking that the hole in the shroud might be used with something that levers it.

Well that big flat spot that looks like a horizontal fin just below the hole sure looks like it was meant for prying, and the extended shaft with the sleeve on the alternator pulley likely lines up too. Good to hear you've got it beat.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Process of rebuild, replacing heads, new exhaust & misc 1977 FI Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
SGKent wrote:

Well that big flat spot that looks like a horizontal fin just below the hole sure looks like it was meant for prying, and the extended shaft with the sleeve on the alternator pulley likely lines up too. Good to hear you've got it beat.

I looked at that but did not have the right pry bar. I'll find something and try that next time.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Process of rebuild, replacing heads, new exhaust & misc 1977 FI Reply with quote

That's exactly the boss I use to pry on, with my biggest baddest screwdriver. Helps to loosen the 13mm nut underneath too… Wink

But I also err on the loose sides of non-critical belts; the bearings seem to last longer.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Process of rebuild, replacing heads, new exhaust & misc 1977 FI Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:
That's exactly the boss I use to pry on, with my biggest baddest screwdriver. Helps to loosen the 13mm nut underneath too… Wink

But I also err on the loose sides of non-critical belts; the bearings seem to last longer.

Robbie

what do you do about belt hop? Bentley gives 15 mm (5/8") at mid point when pressed firmly. Have to see what I have now.

edit: 5/8" is right where is is now - that is right where the belt stops hopping on top too. Hopefully no more broken brackets. I noticed in Bentley that the earlier brackets mount to the shroud while the late ones go to the exhaust. One thing I did different on this build is I used a strip of silicone rubber between the muffler strap and the muffler to keep it tight. That should cut down exhaust vibration. Someone else here did that - great idea.
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Process of rebuild, replacing heads, new exhaust & misc 1977 FI Reply with quote

Awesome. Change the oil and drive it. Drive it til your tired. Find a camping spot, make a fire, eat Mac and cheese out of the pot and drink lots of beer. Get up the next morning and do it again.

Yeah, I’m not 25 anymore either...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Page 14 of 15

Jump to: