Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help assess for insurance '64 32k miles all original
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:15 pm    Post subject: Help assess for insurance '64 32k miles all original Reply with quote

Hi folks,

A contractor I hired just bought this 1964 beetle.
He didn't know if it had 32k, 132k or 232k miles.
First of all, I think it's 32,527 miles.
What do you folks think?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I didn't take a pic of the engine but it's all original.

He insured it for $15,000 value.
If it's really 32,000 miles, how much $$$ is a reasonable insurance value that he can stand behind?

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Help assess for insurance '64 32k miles all original Reply with quote

If it's really 32K, there would be some telltale signs since certain parts would not have been replaced or even disturbed. Some common CSI:VW checks are:
- Check if brake lines and bolts appear to have been wrenched.
- Check for the security sealant on the speedo cable knurled nut at the back of the speedo.
- Check for security sealant on the steering box adjustment.
- Check the spare tire date code.
- Check the model and any codes on the headlight sealed beams.
- Check if any of the wiring appears to have been pulled from the fusebox.
- Check everywhere (underneath, under mats and trunk liner) for rust and paint spray.
- Check the door jambs for any oil change stickers with dates.
- How pitted is the windshield?

Last edited by KTPhil on Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
daven
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:13 am    Post subject: Re: Help assess for insurance '64 32k miles all original Reply with quote

I also look at the amount of wear on the pedals - yours looks low miles.
Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Help assess for insurance '64 32k miles all original Reply with quote

Based on carpet wear, I'd say the odometer has rolled over once. Obviously the car has been gently used.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Help assess for insurance '64 32k miles all original Reply with quote

Good tips.
100% original paint.

How wouldI find an "insurance value" ?
He needs to know if $15,000 is defensible, or can it stand higher?

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: Help assess for insurance '64 32k miles all original Reply with quote

daven wrote:
Dave

Those pedal covers look more like 132,000.

And the wear & tear on the PASENGER side tells that there was more than 32,000 on the car. (It also looks like the braked with their left foot.) I mean really, what percentage of the time do you have a passenger in your car? Even at 132,000 miles, the passenger obviously had trouble getting their clodstompers in & out of the car.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Help assess for insurance '64 32k miles all original Reply with quote

Good point about passenger side.
Little old lady stepping in and out wouldn't beat it up the drivers side footwell.
Perhaps wouldn't rack up the miles either.

And maybe NEVER opened the wing windows, for example. They look showroom new, as do the door handles & window cranks.

I'll look at some of the other indicators.
Does the steering wheel wear visibly?
I can't really pop the brake hubs off.
But KTPhil's list gave me lots of ideas how to suss it out, and I'd like to hear more.

Ignition key could offer some clues.
I'm sure envious.
He paid $8,000 2 months ago.

And thats only if he drives it again.
Contractor driving a beetle means he ain't working that day, so seeing the beetle again will lengthen my construction project.
But I'm sure he'd drive it again at the slightest mention. Wink

74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Help assess for insurance '64 32k miles all original Reply with quote

What kind of insurance policy are you getting and who is the insurer (stated will cap you)? Stated vs Agreed (from Hagerty website):

An Agreed Value policy -- the same as Hagerty’s Guaranteed Value™ policy --guarantees that you will receive the full insured amount of the vehicle (with no depreciation, and including all sales taxes), in the event of a covered total loss.

In contrast, a Stated Value policy (sometimes called “stated amount” or “maximum limit of liability”) does not promise to pay the full vehicle value that’s indicated or “stated” on the policy. With regard to a covered total loss, you may receive less than that stated amount, because the insurer has the right to pay either your vehicle’s depreciated actual cash value OR the cost to replace your vehicle -- whichever is less. Also, many insurers that offer stated value policies (typically standard insurers) require periodic appraisals to affirm the insured amount, adding cost and inconvenience to the client.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Help assess for insurance '64 32k miles all original Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:

Those pedal covers look more like 132,000.
(It also looks like the braked with their left foot.)

When I was a starving student I used to swap the brake and clutch pedal covers when the corners started to wear, instead of replacing them. Made them look like these.

I would have rotated them (logo upside down) to get even more miles but by then the rubber usually degraded enough to crack on the backside, making them fall off!

Last edited by KTPhil on Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:18 am; edited 2 times in total
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Help assess for insurance '64 32k miles all original Reply with quote

It looks like the outside has had a repaint. The wheels have for sure. But I think your insured value of $15,000 is fine. It`s higher then the actual value, which is good.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Help assess for insurance '64 32k miles all original Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Good tips.
100% original paint.

How wouldI find an "insurance value" ?
He needs to know if $15,000 is defensible, or can it stand higher?

Hagerty has no problem insuring my '66 (with 131,351 Little-Old-Lady-driven miles) for $15,000.
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Help assess for insurance '64 32k miles all original Reply with quote

Appraisal by somebody that is licensed and bonded thru the nationally recognized organization that appraisers belong to. Only way to know where you stand. Donald osbourn from jay lenos garage comes to mind.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Help assess for insurance '64 32k miles all original Reply with quote

daven wrote:
Dave

My 66 Bug with 75000 miles, bought from original owner, had pedal pad wear thru the rubber to the metal, the pedals shown here have considerably less wear than mine.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Help assess for insurance '64 32k miles all original Reply with quote

Bryan67 wrote:
It looks like the outside has had a repaint. The wheels have for sure. But I think your insured value of $15,000 is fine. It`s higher then the actual value, which is good.

I'd say 132,000 and pampered. very nice car.

Last edited by Helfen on Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Help assess for insurance '64 32k miles all original Reply with quote

I’ll ask him to bring it again and I’ll post pics of what I find.
Ill look at the wheels; it should be apparent if they’ve been repainted. So is the white/blue per “OEM”?

I feel like the value of 32k vs 132k miles could be substantial and is worth determining. And should become telltale, if I find more than a couple other corroborating details. If it gets serious (32) the owner can decide if he wants a professional appraisal.

Does anyone “know” or have a good way to estimate the difference in value betw 32k & 132k miles?

This is fun, what an awesome find. He bought it from his brother. Im curious if he knows where it came from.

KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Help assess for insurance '64 32k miles all original Reply with quote

It's in really good shape. But I would not expect a great difference in price between the two mileage estimates.

32K is not low enough to be "factory fresh," and 132K is not worn out if it has had normal maintenance, which based on excellent condition, has been the case. The engine might need a refresh, but that costs $2K or so.

Maybe a bump from $15K to $17K is reasonable.

I think by '64 the wheels were "black and white" and not color-coded to the body color. Someone with Garwood's later book could confirm.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Help assess for insurance '64 32k miles all original Reply with quote

I'm only working with the pictures you provide- and here goes:

The bumper brackets should be silver.
There's too much wear on the carpet on both sides- drivers on the heater tube and passenger's threshold.
Repainted wheels makes me suspect more than just those and the bumper brackets have been painted.
I've seen a fuel gauge bezel look so unrefined. Looks third world. There's no reason either gauge should require replacement if such low miles.

We need better pics. A door jamb, engine, under hood, etc. to make accurate guess at authenticity.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Help assess for insurance '64 32k miles all original Reply with quote

If the engine has never been out that might indicate 32k miles.
As one feller said
Quote:
I wonder what the nuts looks like.

Engine serial has no letter preceding the number, so thats a 1200 right?
It sure runs strong.
Will the heater boxes show if if they've ever scooted around on a cement floor?
I'll see what kind of action the exhaust bolts have had.

gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Help assess for insurance '64 32k miles all original Reply with quote

The pedal pads have been flipped around. Obvious. If the engine has never been out it should have the wavy washers under the nuts. Lots of time they never make it back on.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Help assess for insurance '64 32k miles all original Reply with quote

Regarding the question as to the wheel repaint, a Bahama Blue 1964 model's wheels would have been black discs with blue-white rims.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: