Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Surviving 12v option original beetles; where are they now?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:42 am    Post subject: The Surviving 12v option original beetles; where are they now? Reply with quote

I was reading in the VW shop manual that starting in November of 62, there was a factory option to have a 12v beetle and they were made in limited numbers. Has anyone came across one, owned one, or have any pictures of an original 12v beetle(other than a 67 and later)? I thought it would be an interesting topic to start as I’ve never seen or heard of one other than in the manual. Does anyone have any numbers for how many were made also?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: The Surviving 12v option original beetles; where are they now? Reply with quote

I've talked about it before more than once here. I don't ever scan full pages like that, but I've quoted bits and pieces of that section (fair use and all that) when talking about those early 12V components, usually the gen/reg. However I suspect that while the Workshop Manual talks about it, I don't think this option was ever promoted. The US demand for VWs was so high that many people just bought whatever the dealer had on hand that they liked the looks of. I wonder if it was available as a dealer option, I don't recall if I've seen that mentioned before, but as an initial build option I suspect it was seldom ever exercised.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lrodri64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: The Surviving 12v option original beetles; where are they now? Reply with quote

hi,
a friend of mine have one.
a ruby red 66
chimneyfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: The Surviving 12v option original beetles; where are they now? Reply with quote

Lrodri64 wrote:
hi,
a friend of mine have one.
a ruby red 66

Can you get some pictures of your friend’s 66 engine bay and post them up if it’s still all original? How does he know it’s original, does he have a VW birth certificate or original dealer receipt specifying that option (M610) was installed? I’ve always wanted to see how VW routed the cables, what generator, how they positioned the regulator etc. for that factory option prior to 12 volts becoming standard equipment. Thanks.
1972 T2 Camper (Devon), 1988 Golf, 1972 Type 1, 1984 Polo, 1972 T2 Camper (Danbury)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: The Surviving 12v option original beetles; where are they now? Reply with quote

I had many of the same thoughts as chimneyfish above.

As I've never seen any of those components (that is the part numbers listed) in the Workshop manual, that's what makes me think they are very uncommon. The very text alludes to this... "a limited number..."

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: