Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Frank Lloyd Wright’s Karmann Ghia
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Frank Lloyd Wright’s Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:

That one reminds a bit of another possibly more famous FLW house in Los Angeles - the Sowden House.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Perhaps I should have used the term "infamous" rather than famous, as it has been suggested that a former owner of the Sowden House was responsible for committing the horrendous Black Dahlia Murder back in the late 1940s.

Curious connections there between FLW, Karmann Ghias and serial killers, as there was also a Karmann Ghia involved in one of the Zodiac Killer murders.

Huh! I do hope there is no untoward Karmann Ghia Karma.

Btw: I believe that the Sowden house architect was actually FLW son Lloyd Wright.
Redlabel6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Frank Lloyd Wright’s Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

If you really want to see the genius of FLW, go to Racine, WI. He designed much of SC Johnson's headquarters and their family home Wingspread.
There is a FLW museum onsite as well. Check out this link

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g602...onsin.html

The windows in the lab tower are actually Pyrex tubes. Tours are free.

I'm there a few times a week meeting with clients.[/url]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Frank Lloyd Wright’s Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

Redlabel6 wrote:
If you really want to see the genius of FLW, go to Racine, WI. He designed much of SC Johnson's headquarters and their family home Wingspread.
There is a FLW museum onsite as well. Check out this link

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g602...onsin.html

The windows in the lab tower are actually Pyrex tubes. Tours are free.

I'm there a few times a week meeting with clients.[/url]

Spectacular! Last summer’s road trip.
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Frank Lloyd Wright’s Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

Trylon wrote:
...met the man who commissioned FLW to build his house

Thanks for the info on Roland Reisley and his FLW-designed home...very interesting. I'm sure you know of the Marin County Civic Cntr. in San Rafael, CA. It too is open for tours.

Wright's original architectural model of the complex ↓

Exterior view ↓

The long interior galleries were originally intended to be open to the sky
but had to be closed in due to heavy winter rains ↓

'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Frank Lloyd Wright’s Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

Redlabel6 wrote:

I'm there a few times a week meeting with clients.

I didn’t see this interesting nugget! So you do business at the Racine SCJohnson site?
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Frank Lloyd Wright’s Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

rcooled wrote:
Trylon wrote:
...met the man who commissioned FLW to build his house

Thanks for the info on Roland Reisley and his FLW-designed home...very interesting. I'm sure you know of the Marin County Civic Cntr. in San Rafael, CA. It too is open for tours.

Wright's original architectural model of the complex ↓

Yes, I have wandered around that remarkable complex. That said, the photo of the model is new to me— thanks!
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Frank Lloyd Wright’s Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

To get this back on track—

I just heard from the author of the Automobiles of Frank Lloyd Wright!

But before you get your hopes up, he no longer has his notes and does not really remember where the fact that FLW owned a Karmann Ghia came from nor any other information besides that fact.

As I said, he is aging and repeated a number of times that FLW never owned ANY automobiles— his students did. I think that may be overstating the facts because I have heard otherwise. That said, he said he researched this book for 2 years traveling across the USA and Canada! He even mentioned searching a junk yard.

But for all that research, we seem to be left with an unsubstantiated assertion that FLW had some association with some Karmann Ghia at some time in his life. Unsatisfying, but somehow I doubt that we will learn any more any time soon and even less as time goes by.

He did offer one suggestion— FLW’s archives at Columbia University where, I take it, he did some of his research. I think I would need more than a “just curious” to get access...and can you imagine that I would ever find a Karmann Ghia reference in that haystack?

So, threads over unless someone’s got another idea. How about photoshopping a Cherokee Red lowlight Cabriolet and presenting it as “Frank’s Lost Ghia”?
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Frank Lloyd Wright’s Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

Trylon wrote:
iowegian wrote:
Maybe someone at the Auburn-Cord-Duesenberg Museum in Auburn, Indiana knows something--------they do have Wright's Cord and one of his Crosleys on display.

That’s a great idea! Thanks! Will get on it...

I forgot this... next on the agenda!
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: Frank Lloyd Wright’s Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

Trylon wrote:

How about photoshopping a Cherokee Red lowlight Cabriolet and presenting it as “Frank’s Lost Ghia”?

Shocked I'm shocked at your very suggestion!

...I'll get right on it. Laughing
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: Frank Lloyd Wright’s Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
Trylon wrote:

How about photoshopping a Cherokee Red lowlight Cabriolet and presenting it as “Frank’s Lost Ghia”?

Great! This was pointed right at you given both your photographic skills ... and devious nature.

Thanks!
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: Frank Lloyd Wright’s Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

Trylon wrote:
John Moxon wrote:
Trylon wrote:

Great! This was pointed right at you given both your photographic skills ... and devious nature.

Thanks!

And if your could put it in context with a FLW building, bingo!
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: Frank Lloyd Wright’s Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

Dammit...look what I found. It was in The Samba Gallery all along. Shocked

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Frank Lloyd Wright’s Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:

Sorry so late it responding, can’t stop laughing!

That is so great! It needs a wider audience. Article for Hemmings?
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Frank Lloyd Wright’s Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

Trylon wrote:
John Moxon wrote:

58 FLW

Guffaw!
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Frank Lloyd Wright’s Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

Trylon wrote:
Trylon wrote:
John Moxon wrote:

58 FLW

Guffaw!

You know, I think Hemmings just might be interested in our hunt. Especially given this incredible graphic! Are you game to try?
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Frank Lloyd Wright’s Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

Just curious if the book made any mention to what model year the FLW Karmann Ghia may have been.
If it were a very early Karmann Ghia, then it may have been a Coupe as the Cabriolet version didn't come along until the 2nd or 3rd model year.

Regarding the Sowden House, I believe that you are correct in saying that it was designed by FLW's son Loyd Wright.
I believe that is who is credited in the link I posted, but not knowing anything about architecture I assumed that the author was just leaving off the "F" part of "FLW".
Embarassed
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Frank Lloyd Wright’s Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:
Just curious if the book made any mention to what model year the FLW Karmann Ghia may have been.
If it were a very early Karmann Ghia, then it may have been a Coupe as the Cabriolet version didn't come along until the 2nd or 3rd model year.

Regarding the Sowden House, I believe that you are correct in saying that it was designed by FLW's son Loyd Wright.
I believe that is who is credited in the link I posted, but not knowing anything about architecture I assumed that the author was just leaving off the "F" part of "FLW".
Embarassed

Good point! I think I recall that it was one of the last cars in the book. The author was adamant that the timeline was correct. I will bite the bullet and order the book online (seemed a bit thin in the FLW gift shop so passed it up.). The fact that is a cab is wholly fictional but somehow seems fitting as a early picture of Frank driving is in a ragtop.
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Frank Lloyd Wright’s Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:

Embarassed

I thought so. Interestingly, I think the son’s name is Frank Lloyd Wright, Jr. but to quell confusion he dropped the Frank professionally. Looks like it didn’t help.
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Frank Lloyd Wright’s Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

Here’s an a find that I think will be of interest to this thread, a master’s degree thesis entitled “FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT AND THE AUTOMOBILE: DESIGNS FOR AUTOMOBILITY”:

https://getd.libs.uga.edu/pdfs/bruechert_daniel_c_200608_mhp.pdf

A quick perusal raises no Karmann Ghia comments, though. Perhaps another contact person for me to bother...
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Frank Lloyd Wright’s Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

You have to say the "window of interest" in the Karmann Ghia is limited as FLW died in April '59 (at the age of 91)and the Ghia launched in July 1955.

The first KGs appeared on the street of the US in the fall of '55 so realistically we're taking about 3 years at the most...probably less if his health was failing towards the end.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: