Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ethanol free gas switch
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:04 pm    Post subject: Ethanol free gas switch Reply with quote

Since I’ve owned my bug, I’m pretty sure the gas has always had ethanol in it. I’ve moved and have the opportunity to use ethanol free gasoline. With that being said, I’ve not had problems with the ethanol gas as of yet. Will I be introducing a problem by going back to ethanol free after years of using the ethanol.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Ethanol free gas switch Reply with quote

No!

But after years of using ethanol, check the entire fuel system hoses to make sure they are not deteriorated. Then double check after a few weeks to make sure the new fuel is still compatible with the rubber hoses originally installed. It should be OK.

The car will probably run better.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Ethanol free gas switch Reply with quote

I’ve used ethanol gas for twenty-five years. No problem, except you lose a couple miles per gallon.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Ethanol free gas switch Reply with quote

Pure Gas or ethanol free. I choose Pure gas. Runs better no worry about hoses getting bad. Our Subaru gets 8 more MPG when using it. The VW's get better mileage as well. The fuel smell like it used to years ago.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Ethanol free gas switch Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
Pure Gas or ethanol free. I choose Pure gas. Runs better no worry about hoses getting bad. Our Subaru gets 8 more MPG when using it. The VW's get better mileage as well. The fuel smell like it used to years ago.

The fact is there are multiple blends depending on where you are located so what works for one segment may be problematic in another. Those areas where it’s straight ethanol seem to have less problems. I would ask around and visit the shops that do small engine repair and older automotive repair. The key to using ethanol is buy it and use it quickly, don’t let it sit around. Phase separation can be a problem.

I am lucky enough to have choice here so with my limited driving I choose 100% gasoline and I’m paying 30 cents more per gallon. My jap cars get ethanol. There is no correct answer, it depends on what works in your area. Corn farmers are sure happy some folks really like ethanol 😀
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Ethanol free gas switch Reply with quote

Oh for all of my small engines, lawnmower, outboard, weed wacker etc it is the pure gas.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
johneliot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Ethanol free gas switch Reply with quote

I agree with using pure gas in small engines. I can't tell you how much better and how fewer problems I have with my blower and weed wacker since I started using premixed canned gas.

There is no distinctly American criminal class - except Congress.
Mark Twain

69 bug - "The Grey Ghost"
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Ethanol free gas switch Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
gt1953 wrote:

The fact is there are multiple blends depending on where you are located so what works for one segment may be problematic in another. Those areas where it’s straight ethanol seem to have less problems. I would ask around and visit the shops that do small engine repair and older automotive repair. The key to using ethanol is buy it and use it quickly, don’t let it sit around. Phase separation can be a problem.

I am lucky enough to have choice here so with my limited driving I choose 100% gasoline and I’m paying 30 cents more per gallon. My jap cars get ethanol. There is no correct answer, it depends on what works in your area. Corn farmers are sure happy some folks really like ethanol 😀

Some folks dont have a choice. Mandates prevent that choice.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Ethanol free gas switch Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:

Prove it.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Ethanol free gas switch Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
bluebus86 wrote:

Prove it.

You are on a roll tonight Love you anyway.

Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: