Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

TP's 56 Oval Project
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:59 pm    Post subject: TP's 56 Oval Project Reply with quote

Well I brought the Beetle Oval home yesterday. Started teardown on fender removal, light sand on surface rust today. Hope to have body separated from the chassis in a couple days.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: TP's 56 Oval Project Reply with quote

Pictures, more pictures! Please.

You are going to have some fun!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: TP's 56 Oval Project Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Pictures, more pictures! Please.

You are going to have some fun!

Yes it is going to be fun, just need to get it apart to see what I don't see. Going to be travelling this winter, so won't get much done after that, until Spring.
tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: TP's 56 Oval Project Reply with quote

Oval is stored , won't get any more work done until January. I attempted hand forming patch panels for the left rear fender but not up to par. I will be looking for donor fenders, or if that fails using aftermarket ones.

Oh, if only I had deep pockets and could afford the right metal working tools.

Looking forward to getting to it in the New Year.
tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: TP's 56 Oval Project Reply with quote

Finally found the time to get back at the Oval project.

Today I built a dolly to store the body section on. I used wood as metal proved to be too expensive.

I hope to have the body off chassis tomorrow if all goes well.

I also started removing rusted areas in the left and right rear wheelwells.

Replacement panels will be ordered tomorrow.

And so it begins.
Volksvr6gti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: TP's 56 Oval Project Reply with quote

How was the front fenders? They happen to be bullet fenders?
tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: TP's 56 Oval Project Reply with quote

Volksvr6gti wrote:
How was the front fenders? They happen to be bullet fenders?

They are bullet style in pretty good shape, certainly workable.

tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: TP's 56 Oval Project Reply with quote

Spent today removing all attachments from body to chassis , Ready to separate them this week. Jacked.
tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:10 pm    Post subject: The Beetle has landed ! Reply with quote

Well the body is off the chassis and sitting on the dolly.

Now for a good assessment, and start on the body work.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: TP's 56 Oval Project Reply with quote

Pictures or it did not happen!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: TP's 56 Oval Project Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:

Ha, ha pictues to follow, too busy putting tools away and cleaning shop area.

I need to reinforce my dolly with a couple gussets, then off the lift she comes.

So here is the dolly, at 30" to bottom of body.

Last edited by tomsbuggered on Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: TP's 56 Oval Project Reply with quote

tomsbuggered wrote:
VW_Jimbo wrote:

Ha, ha pictues to follow, too busy putting tools away and cleaning shop area.

I need to reinforce my dolly with a couple gussets, then off the lift she comes.

That is always a “mixed feelings” moment for myself. 1.- Because your excited to see what needs to happen. 2.)Getting to see all the damages and understand what the road ahead looks like, can be overwhelming!

Good luck!

Remember - we all like pictures!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: TP's 56 Oval Project Reply with quote

Had a chance to clean up areas to see how bad the rust is. Surprised that for a 64 year old car it is pretty clean. It looks to me that the pan may have been replaced once, the welds don't look factory.

Need to brace body and then start heater channel removal. The door hinge bolts do not want to budge so will give it a couple more trys and then drill them out.

Last edited by tomsbuggered on Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: TP's 56 Oval Project Reply with quote

Both sides of that lower luggage shelf look pretty nasty. That panel, the side you see, has a rear panel (reinforcement panel) welded to it. If both are rotted (kinda looks like it may be) you will need to replace all 4 pieces. 2 panels make up the lower shelf and the two reinforcement panels.

I just went through installing the lower panel, in mine. Page 11.

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: TP's 56 Oval Project Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Both sides of that lower luggage shelf look pretty nasty. That panel, the side you see, has a rear panel (reinforcement panel) welded to it. If both are rotted (kinda looks like it may be) you will need to replace all 4 pieces. 2 panels make up the lower shelf and the two reinforcement panels.

I looked through your build post and looks like I have some tricky fabrication ahead of me. Out with the old, in with new.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: TP's 56 Oval Project Reply with quote

tomsbuggered wrote:
VW_Jimbo wrote:

I looked through your build post and looks like I have some tricky fabrication ahead of me. Out with the old, in with new.

You got it! Fun, fun, fun!

Looking forward to reading your progress!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: TP's 56 Oval Project Reply with quote

Parts arrived today, great delivery time.

Back to bracing body , then cut and fill!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: TP's 56 Oval Project Reply with quote

Looking forward to reading about your process!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: TP's 56 Oval Project Reply with quote

Worked on the Oval a little today, after taking the weekend off. My body sheetmetal arrived on Friday so today I unpacked and inspected them. I knew the Dansk channels weren't exact for 1956 but they will do the job, I think.

I am still fighting with getting the door hinge bolts out, and may resort to drilling them out unless there is a divine intervention the next couple days.

Next will be to brace the door openings and side to side. The body is sitting perfectly level so measurements should be fairly true.

Drilled out a bunch of spot welds in anticipation of getting the doors off. With luck I will start fitting up the driver side heater channel this week.
tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: TP's 56 Oval Project Reply with quote

Doors removed today after drilling out 14 of the 16 bolts.

Tomorrow I will start bracing the body. I cut out a bit more rust in preparation to installing the heater channels. A little more progress.

Edit: Did a dry fit of the heater channels to pan and they seem to line up. so need to brace door openings and then lower body to pan for fitment.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: