Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

TP's 56 Oval Project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: TP's 56 Oval Project Reply with quote

tehillah1 wrote:
Nice work on the repair fabrications! Thanks for documenting your process.

Glad you are able to glean some information that you can you use on your own build. I am certainly no expert, but these forums are an excellent source for insight, from those that have gone before.

Good luck on your project!

Tom
tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: inner door repair Reply with quote

I finished repairing the driver door lower inner structure today. I wasn't able to fabricate the lower weatherstrip section, so I ordered a lower repair panel from CIP1. The part needed some tweaking to straighten it but it fit pretty well overall.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I need to hammer out some dings that were previously "fixed". There is quite a high spot and oil canning that need to be addressed before I weld on the lower outside door skin.

tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: TP's 56 Oval Project Reply with quote

Had some forward progress this weekend working on the driver door skin repair and the engine decklid dent removal. All rust is gone, just need to shrink the door skin to remove the oil canning

Was able to get the deck lid fairly straight, without removing the inner reinforcement panel.

tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: TP's 56 Oval Project Reply with quote

I sanded and primed the rear deck lid today.

Next will be boot lid.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: TP's 56 Oval Project Reply with quote

Nice! It all adds up!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: TP's 56 Oval Project Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Nice! It all adds up!

Yes Jimmy, baby steps but forward movement.

Tom
tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:08 pm    Post subject: Rear apron repair Reply with quote

Removed the rear apron yesterday, stripped paint, wire wheeled and tomorrow will start rust removal and dent repairs.

Once that is done will get it into primer. Toying with modifying it to be removable.

More progress today, welding completed

tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: TP's 56 Oval Project Reply with quote

Got the rear apron in primer, as far as I will take it for now
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: TP's 56 Oval Project Reply with quote

Those original aprons are so crisp. Really worth saving. Well done.

Don
tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: TP's 56 Oval Project Reply with quote

I'm not able to work on rust removal on the body at the moment so I am tackling restoration of some of the smaller bits.

Last edited by tomsbuggered on Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: TP's 56 Oval Project Reply with quote

Got the interior parts repaired, prepped and primed

Moving on to steering wheel repair. I got the wheel sanded and started with epoxy resin of cracks.

There are a lot of hairline cracks and some fairly major ones.
No worse than the last one I did though.

Last edited by tomsbuggered on Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:47 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Volksvr6gti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: TP's 56 Oval Project Reply with quote

Looking good what is your plan for all the hairline cracks. I started to work on my wheel, pretty much at your step currently. Next is to attack those hairline ones and seeing what product you think works best from your previous steering wheel.
tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: TP's 56 Oval Project Reply with quote

I used a thin epoxy glue(much like crazy glue) and let it run in the cracks. On the bigger cracks I am using JB weld epoxy for metal. I have used JB weld on two other steering wheel restorations with good results. Sometimes it helps to v notch the smaller cracks slightly. It is a fairly slow process with sanding but I hope to get it to primer stage early next week.
Volksvr6gti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: TP's 56 Oval Project Reply with quote

Oh interesting on the smaller cracks. I was thinking of bondo possibly but maybe your idea will work better. I have all my big ones done and sanded Wink
tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: TP's 56 Oval Project Reply with quote

JB Weld makes a putty form too but it is difficult to get into the smaller cracks.
tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: TP's 56 Oval Project Reply with quote

Today I sanded and applied another coat of epoxy to cracks in steering wheel. I will finish off any hairline deficiencies with glazing putty.

tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: TP's 56 Oval Project Reply with quote

I filled, sanded, primed and put a seal coat on the steering wheel today. I will leave as is until i get a close paint match to the original turn signal housing.

I reworked the original front bumper, which for 64 years of a hard life, it turned out not too bad.

Volksvr6gti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: TP's 56 Oval Project Reply with quote

that steering wheel came out nice. you have me inspired to work on mine. when you have time do you mind taking pictures on the products you used to complete it. thanks again for you assistance
tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: TP's 56 Oval Project Reply with quote

Volksvr6gti wrote:
that steering wheel came out nice. you have me inspired to work on mine. when you have time do you mind taking pictures on the products you used to complete it. thanks again for you assistance

Thanks, will take some pctures of products tomorrow.

Went through your build site tonight, very nice project and attention to detail.
tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:02 am    Post subject: Steering wheel repair Reply with quote

These are the products I used to restore the steering wheel.

I searched the forum but didn't find info on the original paint colour for the interior trim.(Edit: possibly L472 Beige Gray)or L71 orL 278 ? I will try to get a paint match off the signal housing to use for the trim bits. I will deviate slightly with maybe using a black steering column.

Tomorrow I will start alignment of A pillars to heater channel.

I will need to start at square one and measure door openings up and check door gaps. I currently have narrower gaps at bottom of both doors.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: