Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

TP's 56 Oval Project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: TP's 56 Oval Project Reply with quote

I welded in both A pillar posts yesterday. I used the door opening specs and was 1mm of being dead nuts on door widths.

I measured , finessed, cajoled and measured some more while fitting up each door before tacking and final weld.

After a full day, the doors still do not have an acceptable gap. There are so many parameters to take into account. I am running out of good weather likely won't get back to it until next Spring.

Last edited by tomsbuggered on Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RLFD213
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: TP's 56 Oval Project Reply with quote

Put the body back on the pan and tighten it down. That helps with your door gaps.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: TP's 56 Oval Project Reply with quote

RLFD213 wrote:
Put the body back on the pan and tighten it down. That helps with your door gaps.

x2. That’s what I did for all of my welding.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: TP's 56 Oval Project Reply with quote

RLFD213 wrote:

Thanks for that, I'll give that a go! I know I have some play in the hinges that I still need to put oversize pins in, but I've been putting off doing that.

If the gap isn't solved before snowfall, I will hibernate and thaw it out in the Spring.

I'm going to mess with getting the interior bits to paint this fall, I checked out with my paint supplier and am going to get the signal housing scanned for colour as well as the Polar Silver body colour. I blasted and primed everything except the seat frames.(L71)
tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: TP's 56 Oval Project Reply with quote

Today I spent time sourcing paint match for the interior bits which I thought would be reasonably simple.

The scanned sample was too tan so we had to wing it, and got a close match, albeit a slightly lighter than original. The photo doesn"t capture it well. I can live with it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Positive vented, down draft paint booth.

tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: TP's 56 Oval seat restoration Reply with quote

I have been taking advantage of the warm weather we've had to disassemble the seats
The were surprisingly rusted in places so took everything down to bare metal. The areas I couldn't reach I hit with rust killer.

Have frames in primer and first finish coat

I plan on upholstering this winter.
tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: TP's 56 Oval Project Reply with quote

I am going to do my own upholstery, it will be a good winter project and save me some money.

I did a test swatch to get the pleat width for hidden stitching. The centre one is as per original.

I am using an old industrial machine that is not suggested for vinyl but I think it might be up to the task.

I'm making a steering wheel cover on my restored wheel as a start, to get my head around sewing again.
tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: TP's 56 Oval Project Reply with quote

Steering wheel upholstered, hand stitched to wheel.

tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: TP's 56 Oval Project Reply with quote

With the snow and colder temperatures I started making templates and patterns to upholster the front seats.

I have done a material takeoff to complete the interior upholstry and will be ordering it within a week. I have done some modificatons to my industrial machine to make it more suitable to do cording and top stitching.

I have to leave body work for now, with hopes of getting back into it in early Spring.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: TP's 56 Oval Project Reply with quote

Good to see all the support stuff getting sorted and dealt with! Never heard of a “front butt”. Most butts I know of are in the rear! 🤪

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: TP's 56 Oval Project Reply with quote

Quote:
Never heard of a “front butt”. Most butts I know of are in the rear! 🤪

Ha ..Jimmy, butt..bott all the same. Would rather be spending time on the body work, "butt" all in good time.

Tom
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: TP's 56 Oval Project Reply with quote

tomsbuggered wrote:
Quote:
Never heard of a “front butt”. Most butts I know of are in the rear! 🤪

Ha ..Jimmy, butt..bott all the same. Would rather be spending time on the body work, "butt" all in good time.

Tom

Ah....misread that. Thanks for the education. I now have a new word. And bonus, I know the definition!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: TP's 56 Oval Project Reply with quote

I got my sewing machine dialed in for doing the cording on the seat edges. This is just scrap pieces I had laying around.

The money tree in the backyard lost all its green for winter so I have to wait until the New Year to buy the material to start.
tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: TP's 56 Oval Project Reply with quote

I finally ordered and received my material to upholster my 56 Oval. I wanted to get as close to original vinyl as I could get locally. I talked to a couple upholstery shops and finally found a colour I was happy with. The shop was good enough to order the material for me

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: TP's 56 Oval Project Reply with quote

Looks good!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: TP's 56 Oval Project Reply with quote

Slow going, but sewed the piping on passenger front seat bottom.

After considerable deliberation, I opted to go with black piping.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: TP's 56 Oval Project Reply with quote

I think black piping looks best! That’s what is going back into the 54!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: TP's 56 Oval Project Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:

Thanks Jimmy, I am trying to keep the integrity of the Oval, but the piping was an area that I just went with my heart. I originally sewed up a greyish white piping material but I think the black gives it a little "elegance".
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: TP's 56 Oval Project Reply with quote

tomsbuggered wrote:
VW_Jimbo wrote:

Thanks Jimmy, I am trying to keep the integrity of the Oval, but the piping was an area that I just went with my heart. I originally sewed up a greyish white piping material but I think the black gives it a little "elegance".

Agreed! That is what was in my Oval.

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: TP's 56 Oval Project Reply with quote

Quote:
Agreed! That is what was in my Oval.

Mine originally had the white piping, but good to know they also used black in the Ovals.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: