Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sterling Kit Car
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ratrog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:18 am    Post subject: Sterling Kit Car Reply with quote

I am currently in the process of building a Sterling Kit Car. The car # is S069 and it was built in the mid 70's. I have owned the car for about a year but only recently began the restoration.

I'm not new to Sterling's or VW's. My first VW was a bug I bought in 1982. I have owned a Sterling for about 10 years (car #310 unfinished project). I finished car #114 about 2 years ago and have been active on the Sterling Kit Car site. I make several of the cars parts myself and have average mold making and fiberglass skills. I do all of my own work including paint, body and mechanical.

I'll start this entry off with a few photos of the #114 car that I already finished and is currently a running / driving car.

I'm not new to the site but typically do not post in any of the forums.

My name is Roger and I'm in Tampa Bay Florida.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jmacgreg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Sterling Kit Car Reply with quote

Very nice. I love the color and black accents. What motor/tranny are you using?
ratrog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Sterling Kit Car Reply with quote

jmacgreg wrote:
Very nice. I love the color and black accents. What motor/tranny are you using?

Thanks! Color is Dodge Destroyer Grey. Motor is a 1600 I believe. I didn't build this one. Dual Carbs, runs good. Its a swing axle car, trans ratio also unknown.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ratrog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Sterling Kit Car Reply with quote

The dash, center console, seats and AC shroud are all custom pieces I made in my shop. I also made the ground effects, hood, rear wing, rear spoiler, inside pockets and the entire lower rear section of the car.

rubenski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Sterling Kit Car Reply with quote

Wow, super nice car!!!!!!!!!!!!!
weasel_ugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Sterling Kit Car Reply with quote

nice Applause
LesbleuBuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Sterling Kit Car Reply with quote

That's very cool !
ratrog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:59 am    Post subject: Re: Sterling Kit Car Reply with quote

Thanks Guys!

So this new project, car #S069, started last year when I made the road trip north to buy the car from one of the guys on the Sterling Kit Car Site. I didn't need another project for sure but, I'm kind of addicted to Sterlings. I had just finished the Grey car above and was also building car #S068.

#S068 is another car I had bought earlier in the year but ended up selling to a local guy who had contacted me on the Sterling site. Since he didn't have a place to build it I had agreed to work on it for him.

Like all new toys it got my attention for a couple of days while it sat on the trailer. Sanding off some recently sprayed primer so I could see what was underneath and access what needed to be done. Doing some repairs to the fiberglass, filling holes etc. The paint had been stripped with a heat gun and a straight razor which created a lot of extra work.

Then the car got covered up and sat for about the next year.

ratrog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: Sterling Kit Car Reply with quote

Fast forward to this July, more because it was in my way, I started to look over the car again. Then the wheels start turning and the old toy becomes new again.

The new plan for the car was to try and keep it on a budget in regards to time and money spent to finish the car. Not getting too carried away trying to make it original again, just deal with what is there or should I say not there. I started at the rear of the car, trimming up the body, sanding and priming so it looks like something was accomplished.

ratrog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:10 am    Post subject: Re: Sterling Kit Car Reply with quote

Moving on to the front trunk area, this is back breaking work. Lots of gouges to fill and working on all of these concave shapes is murder.

ratrog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: Sterling Kit Car Reply with quote

July and August have been pretty much all about fiberglass repairs and body work. A couple hundred hours worth so far.

I won't bore you with all the details, that is available on the Sterling site: http://www.sterlingkitcars.com/members_n_forums/bu...069-a.html

ratrog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: Sterling Kit Car Reply with quote

I make a lot of changes to the engine compartment and rear wheel well area. Enclosing the area to make it look much cleaner then original.

ratrog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: Sterling Kit Car Reply with quote

More recently I have been working on the canopy hydraulics. The original plan was to use electric actuators however this proved to be more of a pain in the butt then originally thought. So plan b is just do what you already know. The pump is a marine trim pump, pneumatic cylinders and some misc plumbing items.

ratrog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: Sterling Kit Car Reply with quote

I make the steering column for the Sterling pretty much the same as I have for the buggys I have built in the past.

ratrog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: Sterling Kit Car Reply with quote

Yesterday I reset the rear spring plates and worked on the rear shelf area behind the seats.

That gets us up to speed. A more detailed write up is on the Sterling site: http://www.sterlingkitcars.com/members_n_forums/bu...069-a.html

From here forward I'll try to keep this current.
WMAGRU
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Sterling Kit Car Reply with quote

Very Nice!
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Sterling Kit Car Reply with quote

Very cool. I remember seeing the Sterling factory in San Lorenzo
Rockbound
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Sterling Kit Car Reply with quote

looking good!
ratrog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Sterling Kit Car Reply with quote

BL3Manx wrote:
Very cool. I remember seeing the Sterling factory in San Lorenzo

My #310 car came out of that factory. I have been in touch with the original owner who ordered it and had it delivered.
ratrog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Sterling Kit Car Reply with quote

Only got a couple of hours in the evening. Started fitting the center console cutting out the area for the e-brake. The console is a part I make in my shop. Still some trimming to do. The rain slowed me down from cutting glass outside.

Welded in the nut for my harnesses and then started making the rear seat support. The seats are original type Cimbria kit car seats which I need to make a mold of so I can make a few extra sets. They fit pretty nice in the drop pans. I'll have to make the covers as well.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: