Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

heating system diagram
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
daveswoodcraft
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:47 am    Post subject: heating system diagram Reply with quote

Looking for a complete diagram on heating system and components for a 1970 Bug. I read the heating tutorial and it is great information but I am trying to figure out what all parts I am missing in my bug. IE control wires not running to anything under rear seat etc. I am not sure if I will ever move back to NH again if I do I need heat even in September, the car will be stored before road salt season starts which last at least 4 months there.

Thanks for any help or direction you can give

Dave
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: heating system diagram Reply with quote

I just went to Google and typed in “1970 bug heat diagram”. Came back with a number of diagrams.

Might be one in there!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
daveswoodcraft
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: heating system diagram Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
I just went to Google and typed in “1970 bug heat diagram”. Came back with a number of diagrams.

Might be one in there!

Morning Jimbo

Thanks I did that, and there was a couple of flow charts nothing with specific parts, I am thinking (and that may be the problem) that the wire under the reat seat hooks to something to direct/divert the air between the back to front or even to allow the air to come out under the seat. All those pieces are missing and this being my first bug I am clueless what I should be looking for as far as parts.

Thanks again

Dave
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: heating system diagram Reply with quote

That cable connects to a flap, if we are talking about the same one (pictures work great) to a flap at the panel below the rear seat rail.

I am off to work or I would find the picture for you. If no one gets to you, I will post one up tonight.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
daveswoodcraft
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: heating system diagram Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
That cable connects to a flap, if we are talking about the same one (pictures work great) to a flap at the panel below the rear seat rail.

I am off to work or I would find the picture for you. If no one gets to you, I will post one up tonight.

Thank you Sir
much appreciated
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: heating system diagram Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:

Might be one in there!

Did that for grins, this is mildly disappointing - https://www.jbugs.com/category/vw-heater-parts-boxes.html (scroll down a bit)
It's mostly well diagrammed.. but they've got the damn heater boxes backwards. The exhaust pipe is even pointing at the cabin.
This means that when they show the 'closed' diagram no air flows through the heat exchangers, which is incorrect.

Anyways.
daveswoodcraft wrote:
I am thinking that the wire under the reat seat hooks to something to direct/divert the air between the back to front or even to allow the air to come out under the seat. All those pieces are missing and this being my first bug I am clueless what I should be looking for as far as parts.

The part you're looking for is the Y that sits under the rear seat, it's typically covered with a bit of insulation.

Pic from the gallery -
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It has a flap inside which is controlled by a wire hooked to one of the handles by the hand brake

Some air will always flow into the heater channels, but with that flap open a significant amount will exit under the rear seat.

The classifies here has some of the y's
Here's one ad - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2288483
Be sure to request one with a working flap, many have broken or gone missing.

I completely rebuilt the heat system on my '70 and it works well enough.
Do you know if your heat exchangers are aftermarket or factory?
It makes a fairly big difference
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: heating system diagram Reply with quote

daveswoodcraft wrote:
VW_Jimbo wrote:

Thank you Sir
much appreciated

Said cable & flap:

You can see the cable sticking out in this diagram (#40)
https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/wolfsburg_new/chassis/bug_chassis.cfm?type=1

I pieced some diagrams together from WolfsburgWest to sort of show how it all comes together

Used these WW pages:
https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/wolfsburg_new/chassis/bug_chassis.cfm?type=1
https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/wolfsburg_new/Body_misc/misc_bug_body.cfm?type=1
https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/wolfsburg_new/fuelsystem/bug_mufflers.cfm?type=1

I know you already looked through the heating tutorial, but I'd just like to add these here for anyone who stumbles onto this thread too.
I also found these useful to understand the levers and where the cables go:
AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:
Found these on Jbugs which illustrate the heater channels and the heater lever functions pretty well:

Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: heating system diagram Reply with quote

AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:
Found these on Jbugs which illustrate the heater channels and the heater lever functions pretty well:

...yes, that one right there. Backwards heat exchangers.
It's irking because it's so close, but makes you question if the author really understood what they were doing.
Where, exactly, did they think that bottom tube was going?

For the record, the cable to the heat exhcangers opens a bypass vent that dumps the hot air under the car.
If air were not flowing through the heat exchangers they would get very, very hot. Right below the heads.

edit - I've emailed them. They're otherwise nice diagrams.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: heating system diagram Reply with quote

windfish,
I never noticed those heat exchangers were backward. I can fix that for us on the samba. hopefully jbugs will too.

ill get Everett to remove the others from my gallery.
daveswoodcraft
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: heating system diagram Reply with quote

Thank you Everyone

I will have time tomorrow to go through all the pictures and see what I am missing.

You folks ROCK
Paul Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: heating system diagram Reply with quote

AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:
windfish,
I never noticed those heat exchangers were backward. I can fix that for us on the samba. hopefully jbugs will too.

ill get Everett to remove the others from my gallery.

After you edit these, would you mind adding them the the Cooling Tutorial? Those are nice diagrams!

1984 Mexican Beetle
-1914cc
-L3 Heads 35x32 valves 52cc chambers
-0.040" deck for about 9.1:1 Compression
-Engle W110 cam
-CB Super Stock 1.1:1 Rockers
-Stock Heat Exchangers w/ Tri-Mil Muffler
-Dual Weber IDF 40s w/ 26mm venturis
-034 SVDA Distributor

2013 Chevrolet Volt DD
2005 Pontiac Montana SV6

MAHLE Service Solutions
Applications Engineer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: heating system diagram Reply with quote

Those diagrams are OK, but aside from the backwards heat exchangers it would have been nice if they accurately depicted what happens to the air when the heat is turned off.

Whether the heat is turned on or not, air is always flowing through the heat exchangers and being heated, so in that sense the heat is always "on."

The lever in the car just controls a valve at each heat exchanger. When the lever is down, the valve dumps the heated air out under the car with the rest of the waste heat.

When the lever is up, the valve directs the heated air into the cabin.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: heating system diagram Reply with quote

Okay done.

I'll PM Everett to delete the others from my gallery.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: heating system diagram Reply with quote

Nice!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: