Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Protecting cars from mice
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:46 am    Post subject: Protecting cars from mice Reply with quote

My car is garages but I just recently moved to a rural area. How do I protect my bug from rodents.....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Murmsk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Protecting cars from mice Reply with quote

get a cat?

s
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dubsteez79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Protecting cars from mice Reply with quote

I was always told to put a bar of soap(in box with slits cut in it) under the seats. I currently have irish spring in all of my cars and have never had mice in them. I have 2 large fields around my property that are full of mice and other rodents, but I also have 2 cats that could be being helpful lol. Not saying that this is proven on a scientific level, but my experience has been positive and ive not been proven wrong yet. Plus, I like the smell of irish spring lol.

I put speedy dry or cat litter in a sock, tie off and put that under the seat as well. This does seem to help keep the cars from smelling dank and musty after sitting for long periods of time in our humid, rainy, summer weather here. My cars are under shelter but still exposed to humidity and heat. Some of them leak a bit as well, and this most definitely aids in them drying faster.
d2bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Protecting cars from mice Reply with quote

I agree with getting a cat. Not only will it deal with the mice, but you have a moving obstacle course when walking through your house. Usually when your arms are full.
Some say the smell of mint keeps them away, and there are also ultrasonic noise makers, but I have no experience with either.
Usually a search brings up "Block all holes that mice can enter through." Yeah, right.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Protecting cars from mice Reply with quote

Murmsk wrote:
get a cat?

s

This is ABSOLUTELY the best solution. My family has always lived in urban areas but our houses have always had a yard backing up to wooded area or fields (same with my house now.) We always had a couple of cats- no nests and not a single wire has ever been chewed through.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Protecting cars from mice Reply with quote

Dryer sheets, preferably the scented ones.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Protecting cars from mice Reply with quote

Actually, there are many humane traps. You trap the beasties, then take them for a drive in your Bug. A rather long drive. Catch and release.

Whatever you do, don’t poison them, as they will crawl into inaccessible areas of your cars and die. The smell is somewhat off putting—for months.

We have a house cat, and a feral cat that we feed (this last one has a heated cat house for winter). Neither cat is allowed access to my garage where the cars are kept. I have had paint scratches in the past. Yes, it happens. They just can’t seem to keep from sliding off the front hood.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Protecting cars from mice Reply with quote

Victor mouse trap work great. One snap problem solved...peanut butter gets um.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
dubsteez79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Protecting cars from mice Reply with quote

beetlenut wrote:
Dryer sheets, preferably the scented ones.

Ive been told that dryer sheets also help keep mosquitoes and other flying insects at bay when outside. Havent tried this but I cant see a downside with one that has a pleasant scent. Should overcome the sweat stank from hiking in the summer if nothing else lol.
cyclehobby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Protecting cars from mice Reply with quote

I have used the little plug in electrical ultra-sonic (?) devices for a long time. Got them in Home Depot, but most hardware stores sell them.

I have seen an occasional mouse in my basement, but never any in my (attached) garage, where the devices are. I guess I can't say it's definitely because of them, but you can do the math.

I have heard of the slices of soap under the back seat. Irish Spring, specifically. I haven't tried that as a mouse deterrent, but I know people who swear it keeps deer away from plants in the yard if you hang a bar in the bushes inside an old nylon stocking.

The plug in things don't last forever. When you plug them in, you can hear/feel a slight vibration. After a while, that seems to diminish or stop completely, so they should be replaced. I've done it a few times over the years.

I also recommend being sure to keep things like bird seed or trash cans in the garage where you store your car. I know it seems logical that mice are attracted to this stuff, but it's easy to forget and then the next thing you know, you have a mouse family living in your Bug.
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Protecting cars from mice Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
Actually, there are many humane traps. You trap the beasties, then take them for a drive in your Bug. A rather long drive. Catch and release.

That's a great 'nice' option as long as you check the traps every day. Don't have to worry about other pets tripping them as well.
For 'set and forget' the snap traps are more humane.

Do make sure to take the captured mice a good distance out - https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/5/1/99-0125_article
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Protecting cars from mice Reply with quote

Dumps tend to attract rodents.
1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Protecting cars from mice Reply with quote

OH lawd have mercy, the scratches and pee!!!! Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Murmsk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Protecting cars from mice Reply with quote

We live on a farm And have barn/garage cats . there are always cat prints on the car but no scratches. If I had a $20,000 paint job I might cover the car but I don’t so I don’t mind cat prints. As long as the cats can come and go and are female they do their business outside. On occasion they will leave us a present just to prove their worth.

It comes down to I would rather wash cat prints once and awhile than fix chewed wiring?

Didn’t mean to get folks fired up , just offering a solution that works for me.

S
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Protecting cars from mice Reply with quote

I second the Victor mouse trap. Smear a tiny amount of peanut butter on the bait holder. And you will get....

This one came with the recently purchased 54! Parked it in the garage and started to notice mice droppings. Set a trap out immediately!

Good luck!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Protecting cars from mice Reply with quote

I don’t know. The older I get, the more compassion I have for animals (and the more I dislike people Rolling Eyes ). That’s why it’s possible to go down to ACE hardware and get a humane trap. Yes, you have to check it every day. But it makes me feel good when I allow some creature to go on living.

When I see a lizard or a frog stuck in the pool, I fish them out, and it’s kind of cool to know that I listened when Horton hears a Who.

However, the snails are exempt from my empathy Evil or Very Mad .

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Murmsk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Protecting cars from mice Reply with quote

If you feed the cats regularly they won’t kill many.... might get a couple but the big benefit is mice stay away from cat areas.

S
atari
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Protecting cars from mice Reply with quote

For me, the keys are:

1) Block off exhaust. Stuff a plastic shopping bag in each peashooter.
2) Moth balls spread out underneath Bug
3) Dryer sheets liberally deposited inside vehicle. Like, nearly a whole box's worth.

Haven't had issues with critters and the bug, and it is outside (covered) from Freeze-til-Thaw (anytime between October and May in NH).
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Protecting cars from mice Reply with quote

https://www.amazon.in/s?k=rat+repellent+for+cars+e...b_ss_i_6_6
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Protecting cars from mice Reply with quote

Get a jar of cheap peanut butter and several boxes of your mouse trap of choice.

Bait with peanut butter, set traps.
Check regularly and dispose of the offenders.

Replace bait and or traps as necessary.
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: