Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Febi vs Empi king pin kits
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wayne1230cars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:34 am    Post subject: Febi vs Empi king pin kits Reply with quote

I recently ordered a king pin kit from Rock Auto. The photo of the part clearly showed it as “Febi.” What I received was an “Empi - made in China” part. I was less than thrilled and just not comfortable using this part for such a critical suspension part. Anyone used the Empi king pin kits? Would you use them or should I just send them back and use a better quality kit?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Febi vs Empi king pin kits Reply with quote

Measure them, and compare them to your reamer. The shop I used to work at had a dealer VW ream. It was adjusted to ream the bushing the correct size for a correct size pin, and worked perfectly for a long time with all manufacturers pins. All of a sudden the Brazilian/German pin kits, that were supposed to be the higher quality kits, started coming with pins that weren’t properly ground. The Empi kits had the only pins that fit properly to the proper reamed size bushing. As far as the materials of the pin/bushings, you won’t have a problem.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Febi vs Empi king pin kits Reply with quote

I had a similar experience with those crooked bastards doing business as PartsGeek. The pics in my gallery tell the story, albeit for link pins. And the Chinese link pins wouldn't fit the Febi bushings already in my spindles (I had misplaced the Febi pins and needed to make the car a roller at the time...I wouldn't normally mix/match parts).
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Febi vs Empi king pin kits Reply with quote

It really bugs the crap out of me when they post a picture of the part, then send you something else. I went through this when trying to get a set of Mahle cam bearings. The picture showed Mahle, Silverline kept showing up in then mail... Multiple times. Each vendor gave me the same excuse: "We gave you a free upgrade". A free downgrade more like it.

IDK the quality of the EMPI link pin kit but I would complain to the seller.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Febi vs Empi king pin kits Reply with quote

Rock Auto does that. I bought a bunch of parts shown as Febi since it looked like a good deal. I received EMPI. You can email them about it. They won't budge. They will just say it is for reference purposes. Typical bait and switch.

I learned my lesson and I went to order from them again. This time I asked them to verify the manufacturer of the part. They refused to do so.

Please send me a PM if this has happened to you.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Febi vs Empi king pin kits Reply with quote

So much for rockauto.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Febi vs Empi king pin kits Reply with quote

I'm surprised no one has called them CrockAuto…

I'm rather annoyed to learn of this sort of substitution, as I've dealt with them before, and always got exactly what was described.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Febi vs Empi king pin kits Reply with quote

heimlich wrote:
Rock Auto does that. I bought a bunch of parts shown as Febi since it looked like a good deal. I received EMPI. You can email them about it. They won't budge. They will just say it is for reference purposes. Typical bait and switch.

I learned my lesson and I went to order from them again. This time I asked them to verify the manufacturer of the part. They refused to do so.

That's bullcrap. Not only does the picture show Febi, it says Febi in text. EMPI is not Febi, so the order wasn't fulfilled. I'd dispute the charge with my credit card company if Rockauto won't make it right.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Febi vs Empi king pin kits Reply with quote

I haven't used them for VW parts ... rather use one of our regular VW vendors. But I did use them once for some parts for my RV. There were several choices for the washer pump and filters I ordered, and I got exactly the parts I selected.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Ovally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:02 am    Post subject: Re: Febi vs Empi king pin kits Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote :
""Not only does the picture show Febi, it says Febi in text. EMPI is not Febi, so the order wasn't fulfilled.""

I agree.They must deliver Febi!
But also remember : Febi Bilstein makes decent parts. Lots of Febi stuff is made in China these days, it isn't unusual.
As long as the end control / final inspection is OK, it's no problem.

Regards.
Mazda 929 Hardtop 1977
Mercedes SLC 180 Roadster 2018
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Febi vs Empi king pin kits Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
heimlich wrote:

That's bullcrap. Not only does the picture show Febi, it says Febi in text. EMPI is not Febi, so the order wasn't fulfilled. I'd dispute the charge with my credit card company if Rockauto won't make it right.

I sent it back but had to pay shipping both ways.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wayne1230cars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Febi vs Empi king pin kits Reply with quote

heimlich wrote:
Pruneman99 wrote:
heimlich wrote:

I sent it back but had to pay shipping both ways.

In my case, the part was $30.48 plus $14.64 shipping x 2 to send it back. Lesson learned. Previously I had pretty good luck with RockAuto and generally received what I ordered as described in their on line catalogue.
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Febi vs Empi king pin kits Reply with quote

With all of the good VW suppliers out there, I don't understand why anyone rolls the dice with these guys.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Febi vs Empi king pin kits Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:
With all of the good VW suppliers out there, I don't understand why anyone rolls the dice with these guys.

I tried them a couple times and the shipping killed me. Most VW vendors have free shipping for over $100 and most will ship USPS if you are under that amount, which is typically very inexpensive.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Febi vs Empi king pin kits Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
splitjunkie wrote:

I tried them a couple times and the shipping killed me. Most VW vendors have free shipping for over $100 and most will ship USPS if you are under that amount, which is typically very inexpensive.

I believe in supporting any vendor that specializes in air cooled VW as long as it is a good vendor. Every time someone buys from a Rock Auto or the like it are not supporting those specialized vendors which eventually will drive more of them out of business.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
GBUCKLEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Febi vs Empi king pin kits Reply with quote

I now - this is an old thread. But, I just had the same experience before I ordered from RockAuto. Their Febi Bilstein ball joints (according to photo) were too cheap to believe, so I double checked.

Two responses

1. ===All of the information we have on the products we sell is listed on our website. Please see our Help page: Choosing a Part.

If you're not seeing the details you are looking for, we do not have them. That also means they are not important for fitment. The manufacturer always lists the details that will be important to determine if the part will fit your vehicle.===

2. ===We're sorry for any confusion. You will ALWAYS receive parts sourced directly from the manufacturer from which you order them.

Please do be aware: sometimes manufacturers buy parts from other manufacturers and re-sell them as their own. In doing so, they declare the quality of the part worthy of their name and stand behind the product with their warranty. We understand that it can be frustrating to find a different part inside the manufacturer's box, but please understand that we do not have control over manufacturer supply chains.
If you disagree with the manufacturer's purchasing decision, you may return the part for a refund of the part cost using our Order Status & Returns page.

For further information, please see our Help pages or click the link(s) below:

...the part I received looks like it was made by a different brand or company!
How do I view my return instructions?
How much does return shipping cost?
What is your return policy?====

I don't like it. Give me what I asked for, not what you think will fit. And who wants to deal with returns? However, if you buy with Paypal, they will reimburse for returns. Nice benefit!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: