Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Advice on what year Vanagon to buy
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KingAir42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:31 pm    Post subject: Advice on what year Vanagon to buy Reply with quote

I am looking to buy a Vanagon to drive daily. I have a short commute to work, around 20 miles round trip. I will also drive it further some weekends, around 300 miles round trip. I have had many aircooled VW's before, so naturally I think I would prefer an aircooled model, but maybe water is better? I live in Bakersfield California, it gets around 105 in the summer time. I tend to like the early to mid 80s models, just based off looks. I am trying to learn more about Vanagons, but I figured maybe someone here can point out certain years better suited for me.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: Advice on what year Vanagon to buy Reply with quote

700-1000 miles per month , just like AMERICA

Air cooled in dry sunny Bakersfield, why fuss with coolant when you don’t have to?
KingAir42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:19 am    Post subject: Re: Advice on what year Vanagon to buy Reply with quote

Ok thanks, I'll go sift through the stickies to figure out that years the aircooled were made.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on what year Vanagon to buy Reply with quote

If you do choose watercooled (appeared in '83.5), many recommend '86 and later due to improvements in suspension, air conditioning and the like.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on what year Vanagon to buy Reply with quote

campism wrote:
If you do choose watercooled (appeared in '83.5), many recommend '86 and later due to improvements in suspension, air conditioning and the like.

Plus the electric's -wiring and switches will be younger and in better shape.
If your in the north you will actually have heat as winter is coming! Well... Bakersfield is higher then Florida!

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on what year Vanagon to buy Reply with quote

I would say that model year is not very important here -- a good early example easily trumps a later one with rust. IOW overall condition is more important than how new the parts are - even the newer ones are going to be 30 years old.

Water-cooled is a sound design when sorted and properly maintained and parts availability may be better in some instances.

Did I mention rust? Okay, I'll mention it again. Avoid rust.
SyncroHead Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on what year Vanagon to buy Reply with quote

You can check at:
www.Vanagons.org
and see which models were produced each year. Includes descriptions of standard and optional features. Sorry there;s no '83 to '85 yet.

Jim

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KingAir42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on what year Vanagon to buy Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the help. And I will check the vanagons.org site as well.
KingAir42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on what year Vanagon to buy Reply with quote

I found a few in my price range, but they are automatics. I prefer a manual. Would you guys recommend an auto? If it is in good working order, whats the downside to it ? Are they less desirable? Way back when I knew nothing about bugs, my first one was the semi automatic. I soon learned no one wanted anything to do with it. Is an automatic vanagon kind of the same deal ?
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on what year Vanagon to buy Reply with quote

I personally would never buy an Auto, but I like working the gears and revs to my liking quickly, on dirt especially.

Others will tell Autos are stronger, and that seems true.

It's really about your preference, and how/where your priorities are.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KingAir42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on what year Vanagon to buy Reply with quote

I just realized about smog. Exempt is 75 and older. So am I stuck buying a California only vanagon?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:06 am    Post subject: Re: Advice on what year Vanagon to buy Reply with quote

If you’re county tests, yes.

Slow down those purchase until you can understand exactly what equipment any car you look at needs to pass smog. Don’t assume you can find everyth8mg you need.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Advice on what year Vanagon to buy Reply with quote

You're correct to be concerned about vans with engine swaps but an unmodified stock van with a federal engine should be no problem (at least it wasn't for me when I lived in OC).
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Advice on what year Vanagon to buy Reply with quote

I have to add, gloomily, that the air cooled Vanagons are hard to source parts for, are very difficult to get help with, and in general, are not as sought after than the latest Vanagons. The last part might mean you get a less costly Vanagon at purchase, the middle one is something I see "go check on the Bay Window Forum" very often, and the first one, I am so sorry for our AC gang about this. Just what I am seeing here.

Seek out and chat up Buggeee, great stuff on his threads!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=425615

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=709130
SyncroHead Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Advice on what year Vanagon to buy Reply with quote

Dazegone54 wrote:
So am I stuck buying a California only vanagon?

No. Vans originally sold in other states CAN be smogged in CA as long as they don't have an engine swap to something that's not CARB approved.

I've had an '88 with an automatic trans, an '87 Syncro and an '89 2WD with manual transmissions, so I have some basis for comparison.

I was a little concerned having an auto in 1988 (our first Vanagon) having had manual trans cars before that, but I was pleasantly surprised that it didn't sap much power worked very well. In general, the auto transmissions in Vanagons have a good reputation.

Good luck!

Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Advice on what year Vanagon to buy Reply with quote

Especially if you are driving in city traffic an automatic would be nice to have. They are very dependable units. Do consider replacing the cooler with an aftermarket unit as the OEM cooler is a point of failure.

I have owned both 1.9 and 2.1 water cooled Vanagons and have no strong preferences either way.
michaelbteam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on what year Vanagon to buy Reply with quote

Here's a thought: most advice offered here is valid and sometimes can make your process complicated.
After years of no Vanagons, I got back into the game about ten years ago because I saw an air cooled 83 Westy offered locally for $2000, in St. George, Utah. I took a shuttle from SLC and met the 82 year old [!] enthusiast where he had a wonderful immaculate home shop with high ceilings and three lifts. The 83 was nearly pristine, a desert relic with zero rust and perfect original paint, and ran well. He had rescued this van from an old friend and had little invested and just wanted to make room for another hobby project.
I drove it until I started having "Vanagon syndrome [??]" type issues, and with winter coming on, became reminded that the limited heating and defrosting in an air-cooled would not work for me. Think I sold it for $4K, a modest profit considering effort I had into it.
MY POINT: maybe find something [anything] reasonably priced that you can learn with, and not become over invested in, until you decide what is best for you. Maybe you'll get lucky the first time, but if not, pass it on when you find the right one.
Just one person's experience. Of course, I caught the disease and a few vanagons later, had to end up with a Syncro, just because...
KingAir42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on what year Vanagon to buy Reply with quote

I’m interested in this one. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2302925

Problem is it’s in Ohio, and I live in California. Before I get more serious about this one, what do you guys think
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on what year Vanagon to buy Reply with quote

Even the best Ohio car is going to be more costly to own than any decently maintained California car.
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on what year Vanagon to buy Reply with quote

No matter how you cut it in general newer is better they made small improvements each year. A early model probably won’t have air conditioning or power mirrors and other things but will sell for a lot less money. A late model will have more toys and sell for more money. I grew up on aircooled VW and loved them but the national speed limit was 55 mph at the time. I don’t think I would want one as a daily driver on today’s roads. With everything else aside it’s about condition and price. If you can afford a 86 or newer van with all the toys that’s what I would do. If not I would go to the 83.5-85 vans if the price is still to high then I would go to the aircooled or 1.6 diesel vans 80-83.5. Go Westy has a good wright up on the difference between years but they do try to steer you to the more expensive vans. I like the simple older vans my self mostly from a cost prospective(all my vans started as 82 diesels)Good hunting. John
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: