Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

General Grabber ATX2 14-inch tire question
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Krumby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:07 pm    Post subject: General Grabber ATX2 14-inch tire question Reply with quote

Aloha ,
I’m having a hard time finding a 27x8.5 14 inch general grabber at2 tire for my 84 vanagon. Has anybody ever tried atx as a replacement ? I have 3 good at2 tires and really don’t want a different tire. I live on Maui and the shipping is insane from some suppliers I found a at2 from Morris off-road but they want 199 to ship f that !
Mahalo for the help
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: General grabber atx2 14 inch tire question Reply with quote

I wouldn't run 3 and 1, but you could order 2 and put the 2 newer ones on the front (or back if low traction driving is a regular thing for you.)

Keep the 3rd used good one as a spare tire.
smd333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: General grabber atx2 14 inch tire question Reply with quote

https://simpletire.com/hankook-vantra-ltra18tires I purchased these this year and I have been very pleased. I kept checking the price because it fluctuated from as low as 60 to 115. I think I bought them at 76/apiece and had them installed at a firestone location.

You can see if the shipping is high to Maui, I had a good experience with simple tire
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: General grabber atx2 14 inch tire question Reply with quote

General Grabber ATX is very similar to AT2, some difference in the design of shoulder and sidewall, may be rubber compound but not sure.

I have a 2WD tintop van with AT2 all around, on a trip one tire had a severe damage on the sidewall and replaced it with an ATX (can't find AT2)... no problem since 2 years ago... I run a match pair in the front...
912 outlaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: General grabber atx2 14 inch tire question Reply with quote

Costco doesnt have them
Krumby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: General grabber atx2 14 inch tire question Reply with quote

Aloha,
Ended up just getting a pair of grabber atx. 14 inch off-road tires are getting hard to find. May have to go to 15 inch tires next time around. Got free shipping from amazon and signed up for the credit card and got 70.00 off the price. I think I paid about 75.00 a tire.
Mahalo
Dave
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: General Grabber ATX2 14-inch tire question Reply with quote

It seems quite a few volks are running some version of Grabbers on their 14" rims. The current version has a load rating (1,520) that's less than what I've read from different sources as being the OEM or preferred spec (1580 or even way more). Has anyone noticed driving issues or even problems with installers refusing to put them on a Westy?

My BFG KOs are nearing the end of their life and I'd like to get one more set of tires on my 14"s before moving to a larger wheel. I'm considering upsizing the wheels now but there's really nothing available that I would be completely happy with - so I want to buy more time to shop and figure out spacers, re-boring, etc.

Thanks.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: General Grabber ATX2 14-inch tire question Reply with quote

SCM wrote:
It seems quite a few volks are running some version of Grabbers on their 14" rims. The current version has a load rating (1,520) that's less than what I've read from different sources as being the OEM or preferred spec (1580 or even way more). Has anyone noticed driving issues or even problems with installers refusing to put them on a Westy?

My BFG KOs are nearing the end of their life and I'd like to get one more set of tires on my 14"s before moving to a larger wheel. I'm considering upsizing the wheels now but there's really nothing available that I would be completely happy with - so I want to buy more time to shop and figure out spacers, re-boring, etc.

Thanks.

SCM have you taken your westy across a scale to see what it really weighs? I have a stone yard local to me and they weigh you in and out. I can easily get weighed, maybe you can too.

Then you'll really know if those tires are up to the weight you have (I suspect they are).

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
fishgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: General Grabber ATX2 14-inch tire question Reply with quote

SCM wrote:

Thanks.

I have 25,000 miles on my tires on the Westy and they've been really nice replacements from the BFG KOs. Rotate them every 7K miles. 14"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: General Grabber ATX2 14-inch tire question Reply with quote

There is a bit of propaganda to the Vanagon tire "info" on the web.
27x8.5R14 are LT truck tires that can carry their maximum load at all times.

Look at the driver door sticker.
See what it says for maximum axle load.
Rear should be 2866 lbs (2wd vans)
So each rear tire could be 1433 lbs
The Grabber LT tire rating of 1520 lbs EXCEEDS that.

SL and XL or RF tires are different and are NOT allowed to carry their maximum rated load except occasionally.
Their weight rating must be reduced when used in truck applications like Vanagons. The reduction is 9%
VW fitted XL/RF tires on the factory alloys to many later Vanagons.
The tire was rated at 1580 lbs but after the 9% reduction that became only 1437 lbs.

So in fact the Grabber capacity is rated HIGHER than the tires VW actually used on many Vanagons.

Mark

SCM wrote:

Thanks.
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: General Grabber ATX2 14-inch tire question Reply with quote

[quote="dobryan"]
SCM wrote:
SCM have you taken your westy across a scale to see what it really weighs?

That's a great idea! I do contract work at my city's landfill so I could easily weigh my van on their scale.

fishgo wrote:
Rotate them every 7K miles. 14"

This should be a "sticky". I neglected to rotate my BFGs soon enough so here I am, 2 tires look brand new but the others are worn. They're all 6 years old though so...

crazyvwvanman wrote:
There is a bit of propaganda to the Vanagon tire "info" on the web.
27x8.5R14 are LT truck tires that can carry their maximum load at all times.

Look at the driver door sticker.
See what it says for maximum axle load.
Rear should be 2866 lbs (2wd vans)
So each rear tire could be 1433 lbs
The Grabber LT tire rating of 1520 lbs EXCEEDS that.

SL and XL or RF tires are different and are NOT allowed to carry their maximum rated load except occasionally.
Their weight rating must be reduced when used in truck applications like Vanagons. The reduction is 9%
VW fitted XL/RF tires on the factory alloys to many later Vanagons.
The tire was rated at 1580 lbs but after the 9% reduction that became only 1437 lbs.

So in fact the Grabber capacity is rated HIGHER than the tires VW actually used on many Vanagons.

Mark

Thanks Mark. That's exactly what I wanted to hear! FWIW, my driver's door sticker was scrapped off by a PO for some reason. My tires issues / pressures are a constant guessing game.
korfmach
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: General Grabber ATX2 14-inch tire question Reply with quote

I put studded 14" ATX's on my van for hunting and skiing season. They work fine, load rating is adequate (my '89 Westy is 3850 lb empty, according to the local landfill scale), no trouble getting around in snow or mud.

BUT...they have a >20% fuel consumption penalty. Mileage bottomed out at 13 mpg this past winter (mostly short in-town trips) and the van feels noticeably more sprightly now that I've got the Hankooks and alloy wheels back on for springtime. The ATX's on steel wheels feel like they're at least 60 lb each.

Gone, but not forgotten:
1974 Dorper Baywindow, "The Bleeding Trout"
1998 Jetta TDI, "Trixie"
1987 GTI, "Heike"
1974 Thing, "The Luftwaffel"
1974 Ghia
1966 Ghia
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: General Grabber ATX2 14-inch tire question Reply with quote

korfmach wrote:
...studded 14" ATX's ...have a >20% fuel consumption penalty...

WHOA, that's rough...and nowhere near my experience with (nearly identical) AT2's... Eh?

Just curious, what PSI you were running front/rear...??? Question

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
korfmach
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: General Grabber ATX2 14-inch tire question Reply with quote

35 front, 44 rear

Gone, but not forgotten:
1974 Dorper Baywindow, "The Bleeding Trout"
1998 Jetta TDI, "Trixie"
1987 GTI, "Heike"
1974 Thing, "The Luftwaffel"
1974 Ghia
1966 Ghia
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: General Grabber ATX2 14-inch tire question Reply with quote

I put 42 Front - 46 Rear on empty

I put 44 Front - 48 Rear on loaded
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: General Grabber ATX2 14-inch tire question Reply with quote

^^^ Similar for me...front never below 42; rear never above 48; front always 5psi lower than rear.

Q: Would 35psi fronts be enough reason to cause a drop in mpg by maybe ~25%...???

<shrug>

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: General Grabber ATX2 14-inch tire question Reply with quote

I just run approximately the specs given for the stock 205/70r14's in my 27x8.5r14s. 32 psi front & 40 psi rear. Seems to work well. I do add a few extra PSI when I am doing sustained long distance highway driving with a goodly load.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: General Grabber ATX2 14-inch tire question Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
^^^ Similar for me...front never below 42; rear never above 48; front always 5psi lower than rear.

Q: Would 35psi fronts be enough reason to cause a drop in mpg by maybe ~25%...???

<shrug>

- Dave

No way you lose that much by a very small drop in pressure.

The only way to drop mpg is to use more energy. In this case that energy would have to be due to the slightly under inflated tire. That energy would have to be expended as heat thru the tire. No way the tire survives.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:21 am    Post subject: Re: General Grabber ATX2 14-inch tire question Reply with quote

SCM wrote:

Thanks.
Why don't you get these from Go Westy
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

. I was determined to have better tire choices but wanted a stock look. Fairly inexpensive as well. You need to order the hubcap mounting kit as well. Running 215-75R15 BFG all terrains
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:23 am    Post subject: Re: General Grabber ATX2 14-inch tire question Reply with quote

The ATX is the updated replacement for the AT2. Any AT2 you find now is old stock
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: