Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How much did you pay for your ragtop
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
lizardking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:40 pm    Post subject: How much did you pay for your ragtop Reply with quote

In the market in buying a ragtop. Prices I see online seem a bit overpriced. When they are sold I can never find what it sold for. Looking for a 58 to 61 model but might be open to a 62 or 63. How much did you pay and what year did you buy it?
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: How much did you pay for your ragtop Reply with quote

2k, 1991
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: How much did you pay for your ragtop Reply with quote

Bone-stock '63 ragtop; all-original sheetmetal & glass (except windshield); solid rust-free pans & heater channels; clean straight body w/fairly decent repaint to original color; very good chrome; good top; pretty nice interior w/new headliner, excellent original door panels and original Sapphire AM radio; wiring not hacked-up and all electrical components working properly; new tires and brakes all around and a rebuilt link-pin front end.

Despite the tired number's-matching 40HP engine, the car drove quite well and I could've very easily just used it as-is. Paid $7K back in Aug. of 2013, then put in some additional $$ to bring it up to the next level.

Original photo from seller
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

How it looks now

'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)

Last edited by rcooled on Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mcflem74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: How much did you pay for your ragtop Reply with quote

I found what i consider a pretty good deal. it was 1K for a 63 ragtop. the chassis was a mess but the body was pretty good. 2018
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: How much did you pay for your ragtop Reply with quote

Not my car but a guy in Phoenix sold this 1961 for $25,000 around 2009:

More pics
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php...r=everettb

This might not be the best comparison for a buyer unless you are looking for mint condition.
I believe that was top dollar at the time but the car was one of the nicest I have seen, ever.
I'm not sure how much it would be now, maybe $30K-$35K?
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: How much did you pay for your ragtop Reply with quote

If you are looking only at classifieds you are not getting a realistic picture about which these cars actually sell. Realistically, you could take a bunch of advertised prices in YOUR market and guess that the average seller would sell for 10-15% less than asking price right off the bat. With a greater discount the longer the car hangs around. Not that helpful- but...

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
sbnova
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: How much did you pay for your ragtop Reply with quote

Im not sure if this link will work-

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fsrp=1&_nkw=v...Complete=1

but you can search ebay for "completed listings" and see what cars actually sold- or didn't sell, for.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/448794 (Vette,Nova,Typhoon)
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: How much did you pay for your ragtop Reply with quote

I’d be curious what you feel is “overpriced”? Also understand that prices have gone a little nuts over the last couple of years. I most likely overpaid for mine but it was essentially everything I wanted. Decent paint, rust free western car, finished interior and vintage speed engine. I would have spent considerably more trying to build this car.

Where you’re located will also give a better idea of what you’re looking at in costs. Rust free cars in the Midwest or northeast can get pricey. Give an idea of what you’re looking to lay and we can maybe say if it’s realistic or not.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: How much did you pay for your ragtop Reply with quote

lizardking wrote:
In the market in buying a ragtop. Prices I see online seem a bit overpriced. When they are sold I can never find what it sold for. Looking for a 58 to 61 model but might be open to a 62 or 63. How much did you pay and what year did you buy it?

If you think they're overpriced already today.... fast forward a few more years and see.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lizardking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: How much did you pay for your ragtop Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
I’d be curious what you feel is “overpriced”? Also understand that prices have gone a little nuts over the last couple of years. I most likely overpaid for mine but it was essentially everything I wanted. Decent paint, rust free western car, finished interior and vintage speed engine. I would have spent considerably more trying to build this car.

Where you’re located will also give a better idea of what you’re looking at in costs. Rust free cars in the Midwest or northeast can get pricey. Give an idea of what you’re looking to lay and we can maybe say if it’s realistic or not.

Looking into a 58 to 61 ragtop. All the listings are above 5 thousand in ok shape but rarely have I seen the ad say sold. Bugs with out rags in same shape go for about 2 to 3ish thousand. My budget is no more than 4. Located in CA socal
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: How much did you pay for your ragtop Reply with quote

lizardking wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:

Looking into a 58 to 61 ragtop. All the listings are above 5 thousand in ok shape but rarely have I seen the ad say sold. Bugs with out rags in same shape go for about 2 to 3ish thousand. My budget is no more than 4. Located in CA socal

Not trying to be obtuse but what do you consider “ok” shape? I read the thread on the “mostly stock” car you were looking at and kept wondering if we were looking at the same car. Good luck finding a good condition Ragtop for $4k. Most cars I see in the $4k range are usually pretty rough and they are non sunroof cars. Low end on rust free ragtops is going to probably be in the $5-6k range. I probably overpaid but I spent over 3x your budget last year for my 60.

I’ve since dumped a few more thousand into it.

“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Meiang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: How much did you pay for your ragtop Reply with quote

Nothing is overpriced. Its what people are prepared to pay.

I suspect when people complain that, they are no longer able to or want to pay the prices.
lizardking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: How much did you pay for your ragtop Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
lizardking wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:

Not trying to be obtuse but what do you consider “ok” shape? I read the thread on the “mostly stock” car you were looking at and kept wondering if we were looking at the same car. Good luck finding a good condition Ragtop for $4k. Most cars I see in the $4k range are usually pretty rough and they are non sunroof cars. Low end on rust free ragtops is going to probably be in the $5-6k range. I probably overpaid but I spent over 3x your budget last year for my 60.

Nice looking bug. I'm not trying to restore a bug. I know there is no set value for them and it varies from state. I'm sure in an area where every car have rust issues, a 50+ year old vw will have more value. In my area rust isn't much of an issue. Been keeping track of the prices people want to sell them for in my area but, doubt they sell for asking price. The bug I was looking at she wants 6500. I asked her if she has had a lot of people interested? She said yes but no one comes close to her asking price.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: How much did you pay for your ragtop Reply with quote

1960 in 1969..... $350

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: How much did you pay for your ragtop Reply with quote

lizardking wrote:
The bug I was looking at she wants 6500. I asked her if she has had a lot of people interested? She said yes but no one comes close to her asking price.

If you don't want to post some pics or the ad on here for feedback, maybe ask if anyone in this thread wants to give you direct offline feedback on the price?

It might be good to get another set of eyes to tell you what they think it's worth, that way you can either buy it or move on knowing it's overpriced.
Or tell her you are "I'm willing to pay $XXXX, Please contact me if you change your mind"
I've done that before and sometimes it works, sometimes the seller sells it anyway to someone else... sometimes even for less
(Yes, had that happen, they sold it for LESS than I told them I would pay, argggg)
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: How much did you pay for your ragtop Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
lizardking wrote:
The bug I was looking at she wants 6500. I asked her if she has had a lot of people interested? She said yes but no one comes close to her asking price.

If you don't want to post some pics or the ad on here for feedback, maybe ask if anyone in this thread wants to give you direct offline feedback on the price?

It might be good to get another set of eyes to tell you what they think it's worth, that way you can either buy it or move on knowing it's overpriced.
Or tell her you are "I'm willing to pay $XXXX, Please contact me if you change your mind"
I've done that before and sometimes it works, sometimes the seller sells it anyway to someone else... sometimes even for less
(Yes, had that happen, they sold it for LESS than I told them I would pay, argggg)

This was covered in his first thread. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=720068
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: How much did you pay for your ragtop Reply with quote

lizardking wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:
lizardking wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:

Nice looking bug. I'm not trying to restore a bug. I know there is no set value for them and it varies from state. I'm sure in an area where every car have rust issues, a 50+ year old vw will have more value. In my area rust isn't much of an issue. Been keeping track of the prices people want to sell them for in my area but, doubt they sell for asking price. The bug I was looking at she wants 6500. I asked her if she has had a lot of people interested? She said yes but no one comes close to her asking price.

I purchased this car out of Wyoming. A lot of people here on the East coast and Midwest buy cars out of California. We typically are willing to pay decent money for rust free cars in good shape. A lot of Europeans and Japanese do as well. I have so far purchased a car out of Texas, Wyoming and most recently a Cali car out of Washington State. Paying 14k plus shipping for a rust free car is a hell of a lot cheaper than buying a rusted POS for $5-6k and then dumping another $20k into it.
MANNAXMAN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: How much did you pay for your ragtop Reply with quote

$4k in 2009 for my 61. The ragtop needed to be replaced, there was rust in the passenger side A-pillar/heater channel junction and front wheel well, Centerline wheels, hard to put into 1st gear, needed brakes, radio hole had been hacked, 1500SP, 12V, steering wheel & column from a 64 (but correct 6-wire TS switch).
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: How much did you pay for your ragtop Reply with quote

100,000 cents in January 1989....

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: How much did you pay for your ragtop Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
100,000 cents in January 1989....

LOL! I was thinking not only does it depend upon condition, but more importantly WHEN you bought it! Cool

I paid $6,700 the first time I bought my early '63 California Black Plate car in 2006. (Yes, I bought it more than once!)

A solid, dry one like my former '63 without the original engine, with TMI seat covers, not so great headliner, some dings here and there, I would pay in the $8k to up to $10K range for a car like that. Now, clean, accident free, dings at a minimum, original interior in good shape, original engine, a few more bucks are certainly warranted.

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: