Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

67 seat belt weave?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:42 pm    Post subject: 67 seat belt weave? Reply with quote

I'm investigating replacement seat belt webbing for the front seatbelts of my 1967 Beetle, however I no longer have the original webbing. If you still have yours, could you post a close up picture of your front seat belt webbing? Multiple angles (showing depth) would also be great. Thanks for your help!!

- Harry
ISO Albuquerque "Imported Motors" dealership paraphernalia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jos.Hall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: 67 seat belt weave? Reply with quote

Harry, sorry these pictures suck but I just got home from work was/am exhausted and took them in the dark quick. I’ll get better ones in the next day or so and upload them.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: 67 seat belt weave? Reply with quote

Thanks, Jos! These look like great pictures. I'll post what I find out!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: 67 seat belt weave? Reply with quote

Keep in mind the material, weave, and sewing for seat belts is a science, with the right combination of strength and stretch. Generally not for the novice to try! There are good vintage-looking (and modern 3-point inertial) belts available.
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: 67 seat belt weave? Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Keep in mind the material, weave, and sewing for seat belts is a science, with the right combination of strength and stretch. Generally not for the novice to try! There are good vintage-looking (and modern 3-point inertial) belts available.

I am definitely looking for a professionally loomed seat belt webbing - and I'm having trouble finding the correct pattern (pebble weave for the rear, and ladder weave for the front). Do you have any commendations of companies or people to talk with who might have the right looking webbing?

I was going to have http://www.ssnake-oyl.com do the actual webbing (previously I have used Safety Restore).
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 seat belt weave? Reply with quote

Not saying its the best way to go ...but I know people who have got 'bulk' seat belt material from new cars at the wrecking yard (new, modern, stronger (?) belt material) and then had a shoe-repair shop (yes ....there's still a few around) custom sew them to match the sewing on older belts from vintage cars. I supposed this post will cause a sh*t-storm of NO NO NO ....but....
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 seat belt weave? Reply with quote

Digger89L wrote:
Not saying its the best way to go ...but I know people who have got 'bulk' seat belt material from new cars at the wrecking yard (new, modern, stronger (?) belt material) and then had a shoe-repair shop (yes ....there's still a few around) custom sew them to match the sewing on older belts from vintage cars. I supposed this post will cause a sh*t-storm of NO NO NO ....but....

OMG - that just seems to be asking for trouble with little benefit! Wow. The goal of my car is to get it back to what it was when it came from the factory, *including* safety!
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 seat belt weave? Reply with quote

That's 1.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 seat belt weave? Reply with quote

Digger89L wrote:
Honestly see no problem with that. As long as the car isn't wrecked, there is no difference between having a seat belt restorer sew them and having someone else sew them as long as they use heavy duty thread and do the right amount of stitching.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
clarkster75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 seat belt weave? Reply with quote

Have you ever had original 67 belts on while driving the car? IMHO. Get some standard lap belts. The 67 style is uncomfortable. Every time you hit a bump the ratchet goes up one more notch. After about 5 miles you need to take the belt off to keep blood flowing to your legs.
The plastic housing gets dirty/brown/yellow too. Just overall, not a good design.
I get the "original" part, but if you are going to drive it, just standard belts are best.
Jos.Hall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:42 am    Post subject: Re: 67 seat belt weave? Reply with quote

Guys if he wanted to he could just buy some seat belts of CIP or WW or wherever and go on with his day. The goal isn't just to have a seat belt but rather to have as close or exact to the original seat belt as possible while maintaining enough safety to take the family for a drive.

The common thought is that the weaving of a 50 year old lap belt is compromised due to age. I'm not sure where I stand on it yet but I get it. Harry's goal and my goal is not to just go online to WW or another retailer and click add to cart but rather find NOS and/or Mint original parts to build the most accurate beetle that we can. To have it exactly as it was when it drove off the showroom. (although I must admit mine wont be exact Twisted Evil )
Jos.Hall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: 67 seat belt weave? Reply with quote

Harry, you ready for this?..... I scored 6 '67 seat belts (albiet not convertible belts) this weekend.

I've known of two different types of '67 sedan belts in the past but I've discovered there's at least 3 different variations if not more. Not only are there 3 different "sheaths" but theres also 3 different belts.

Pebble weave in Grey
Ladder weave in Grey
Ladder weave in Black

Here's a photo of the 3 different sheaths they're in just for further documentation

Note how the far right has no ribbing and the left belt has smaller ribbing than that of the middle.

'67 L41 Sedan 117333192
'67 L41 Vert 157343589
'67 L19K Vert 157452166
'67 L19K Vert ??????
'67 L282 Vert 157419653
'67 L620 Sedan 117534350 (Sold)
'67 L54 Vert 15745800 (Parted out)
'52 Split based Devin
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: 67 seat belt weave? Reply with quote

Jos.Hall wrote:
Harry, you ready for this?..... I scored 6 '67 seat belts (albiet not convertible belts) this weekend.

You're killing me, Jos! Wink I see there are labels on at least two of those - are there any differences in the labels (part numbers, manufacturers, date of manufacture, etc.)?

Nice score, by the way!

Next you are going to tell me you found mesh screens with different color flocking...
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: 67 seat belt weave? Reply with quote

The major concern for driving a car with 50 to 60 year old seat belts is not whether they are "just like off the showroom floor". It's whether they are actually going to protect you from harm in the case someone else on the road does something stupid (like THAT never happens...Right?)

NOS 1967 belts are still 53 years old and the material is dramatically weaker than it was in 1966 or 67. I spent 11 years on plastic industry R&D doing research on material strengths and deterioration under exposure to various environmental factors.

If you want a museum piece. keep it in the museum. If you want to actually drive it, make it safe. Don't be stupid. Belts from a wrecking yard re-stitched with polyester thread on original hardware would be vastly safer than NOS '67 belts that have been sitting on a shelf in a parts department under fluorescent lights (that put out more UV light than direct sunlight) slowly deteriorating.

My own '67 Bug had belts just like the pebble grain ones at the left in the pictures above. I replaced them nearly 30 years ago because the Bug was a daily driver and I did not trust the original belts anymore. Lucky I did. Because a few months later, some fool woman backed out of a blind driveway at Warp 3 into the side of my pretty little Bug, leaving it totalled with the whole right side caved in about a foot. I was not injured other than losing my Bug. I'm not sure I would have come out of it so well with the original belts still in it. The original lobster claws were pretty sketchy regardless of the condition of the belt fabric and stitching.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: 67 seat belt weave? Reply with quote

Are there documented cases of old belts failing in crashes?

I survived several crashes with 30 plus year old belts, no belt fails

Bug On Safely!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 seat belt weave? Reply with quote

I agree - I do not trust 50 year old seat belts for my safety (whether or not they are actually safe is another conversation - or if they are safe in a car with a gas tank in the crumple zone...). That's why I started this - I wanted to find a modern replacement.

And I found one pretty similar for both the pebble and ladder patterns. The (un)fortunate part is that, I believe due to regulations, US seat belts all pretty much look the same with the same material. That is not as true in Europe. A company called FDTS (fdts-seatbelts.co.uk) had a close match in both the gray ladder for my front seatbelts and the black pebble I was using in my rear seat belts.

I am sending the seatbelts off to SafetyRestore (SafetyRestore.com - I've used them before) to reweb my current seatbelts with this new material. I'll post pictures when it is done (I'm still waiting for the original hardware to come back from chrome and plating).

Now, whether the lobster claw mechanism is originally reliable is another question...
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 seat belt weave? Reply with quote

harrymarlin wrote:

I am sending the seatbelts off to SafetyRestore (SafetyRestore.com - I've used them before) to reweb my current seatbelts with this new material. I'll post pictures when it is done (I'm still waiting for the original hardware to come back from chrome and plating).

Are they done yet??
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: 67 seat belt weave? Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
harrymarlin wrote:

Are they done yet??

Yes, and they did a pretty good job (I gave *very* specific instructions). Unfortunately I don't *think* I have pictures, and my Beetle is in the shop for interior work.

The rear seat belts are too short, so I'm going to have to send them back (not their fault - I measured the original fabric - I just don't know how the original's worked with the length they were!). At least my 9 year olds can strap in...

Thanks for the reminder!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: