Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW Approved Electric Conversions on the Horizon?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
stuzbot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:54 am    Post subject: VW Approved Electric Conversions on the Horizon? Reply with quote

This is interesting:

https://www.electrive.com/2019/09/02/vw-components-is-electrifying-vintage-cars/

TLDR; Volkswagen Group Components (VWGC) has partnered with a German electric vehicle conversions company to develop conversions for classic VW models. They've already produced an electric Beetle, but the bit that's of interest to [at least some of] us:

“We are already working together to prepare the platform for the Bulli...

Sounds exciting to me.

I know there are already companies who will do bespoke conversions of classic motors to electric. But with VW themselves being in involved in this venture, it should make things a lot easier [and hence cheaper] to do this kind of conversion, as the conversion companies won't be having to shoe-horn off-the-shelf components from other sources into these old motors.

Moderator note:
Due to the propensity of several members to post off-topic videos or complaints about electric vehicles:
Anything off this VW conversion topic can expect to be deleted.

1992 VW LT35 2,4D [SOLD]
1993 VW LT35 2,4D [SOLD]
1992 VW T3 1,6TD Syncro [SOLD]
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: VW Approved Electric Conversions on the Horizon? Reply with quote

IBTL...I heard they are using Subi electric motors
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: VW Approved Electric Conversions on the Horizon? Reply with quote

stuzbot wrote:
it should make things a lot easier [and hence cheaper] to do this kind of conversion, as the conversion companies won't be having to shoe-horn off-the-shelf components from other sources into these old motors.

didn't the last electric thread get locked?

anyway...

they will need to recoup all the r+d costs plus the manufacturing costs before they turn a profit. if you think VW is doing anything out of the kindness of their hearts, you're nuts.

I trust vw about as much as I trust gas station sea food

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: VW Approved Electric Conversions on the Horizon? Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
stuzbot wrote:
it should make things a lot easier [and hence cheaper] to do this kind of conversion, as the conversion companies won't be having to shoe-horn off-the-shelf components from other sources into these old motors.

anyway...

they will need to recoup all the r+d costs plus the manufacturing costs before they turn a profit. if you think VW is doing anything out of the kindness of their hearts, you're nuts.

I trust vw about as much as I trust gas station sea food

Car companies don't make money repowering antique models of something that they already sold.

Mmmm, gas station sushi.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Approved Electric Conversions on the Horizon? Reply with quote

VW will cash in on nostalgia in a heartbeat!

Remember they dug out an old Beetle to use in ads and tug at the heartstrings of us old farts? They saw the possibility of making a buck.

They previously abandoned the Air Cooled crowd completely and quickly! They don't care about our old product, only with selling new. They are even hostile to VW clubs hanging up or using the VW sign!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Approved Electric Conversions on the Horizon? Reply with quote

Yes but if there’s a dollar to be made they will do it.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Approved Electric Conversions on the Horizon? Reply with quote

If it has the blessing and badging from VW, you can pretty well count on it not being cheap. Probably also require installation at a dealership for any warranty coverage to be valid.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Approved Electric Conversions on the Horizon? Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
stuzbot wrote:

Yes, let's stay on the topic of this article rather than the general overall complaints that kept coming up in the overall electric car thread... please
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Approved Electric Conversions on the Horizon? Reply with quote

I highly suspect the author of that article is jumping the gun. I cannot see any car manufacturer getting involved in an old car retro fit program. From both a business and a liability standpoint it would be just foolish.

I could see them involving a known and reputable conversion company in building a few show/parade cars for publicity purposes to move around from show to show and dealer to dealer to generate hype around thier new E car offerings. I think that is what they are up to.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Approved Electric Conversions on the Horizon? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
I highly suspect the author of that article is jumping the gun. I cannot see any car manufacturer getting involved in an old car retro fit program. From both a business and a liability standpoint it would be just foolish.

I could see them involving a known and reputable conversion company in building a few show/parade cars for publicity purposes to move around from show to show and dealer to dealer to generate hype around thier new E car offerings. I think that is what they are up to.

Ding! ding! ding! ding!, winner!
Sounds to me like a way for some of the big shots and marketing types to get photo op's with a classic Bus or Bug, they can ride in onto the stage at some big shareholders meeting and pat each other on the backs about how forward thinking and green they are, maybe some trade shows too. And of course the press releases and video clips will get attention on every news service for a day or two, big bonuses for all!

There's no way VW would support 50 year old products, it's just carefully disguised marketing hype for future products.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
stuzbot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: VW Approved Electric Conversions on the Horizon? Reply with quote

I'm not under any illusion that either:

1: VW are doing this for any altruistic reasons

or

2: That the resulting 'kit' [for want of a better word] will be in any way affordable.

But I still think it's generally positive news, for a few reasons. Not in any particular order. Just as they flit across my vacant skull:

1: Given they're showing off this electric Beetle at a trade show, it'll raise awareness of the idea that owners of classic cars don't have to scrap them, when the inevitable ban on ICE engines comes in. There are conversion options.

2: As far as I know, this is the first major motor company to jump on board [for whatever selfish reasons] with electric conversions of classic motors. All the stories and videos I've read and seen about these kind of conversions before have been hobbyist efforts or small independent companies doing it.

You can be sure that once VW have done it other manufacturers of collectable vehicles will be doing it too.

3: I'm totally in agreement with the argument that VW would much rather you buy an expensive new electric vehicle off them, than convert your old jalopy. But, after the recent scandals involving them faking emissions and fuel economy figures, their reputation has taken a hell of a battering. From their point of view, being able to unveil a few converted classic Beetles is a great PR stunt. The Beetle is almost universally loved and harks back to a 'golden age' for VW, untainted by their recent fiddling of the figures.

I think that, if these conversions garner a lot of interest from the press and public, VW might actually find a lot of people waving wads of cash under their noses and shouting "Take my money!". In that case, they may decide that it's worth their while to start producing the kits in serious numbers. After all, it's not like everything in the conversion kits is going to comprise parts especially produced for the classic Beetles only. They'll be mainly re-using components from their existing electric car line-up. The only bespoke parts will be things like the mounting brackets, wiring looms, possibly custom built battery cell housing. In other words, nothing that would involve massive R&D never-to-be-recovered spending.

4: I'm still convinced that electric conversion of classic motors is going to be massive in the next decade or so. For the majority of people who just view their car as a means of getting from A to B, the ban on ICEs will just prompt them to scrap their existing motor and get a similarly 'commodity' electric vehicle. Owners of classic vehicles, on the other hand, tend to be enthusiastic [in some cases fanatical] about their motors. I mean, how many of you on here have poured thousands into keeping your classic, temperamental old VWs on the road when, for a fraction of the price, you could have been running round in a modern, reliable, economic vehicle?

Motor manufacturers aren't stupid and nor are OEM suppliers. they must realise that there's going to be a massive market out there in a few years time; of classic vehicle enthusiasts who will be determined to keep their beloved old motors on the road after the world goes electric. If I was lucky enough to own a garage or parts supply business, I'd be gearing up as fast as I could to offer classic car electric conversions or conversion kits. I'm convinced this is going to be huge in a few years time.

5: Back to VW again. The original article mentioned that they were also working on a conversion kit for the "Bulli" –which [in case that passed anyone by] is what the Germans nickname the Transporter / Vanagon / Tx –which was why I originally posted this in the 'Vanagon' section. That at least suggests that, even if VW choose not to make these classic conversion kits commercially available, they are intending to extend their experimentation beyond just the obvious choice of the Beetle.

6: Even if VW choose not to make the kits available themselves, the fact that they've teamed up with a 3rd party German electric conversion company makes me hope that they might at least license the kits to be made by others. And, if there's a 'standardised' conversion kit, created with VW's input, then it's sure to be copied by 3rd party manufacturers anyway which should bring down prices –as people looking to convert their own vehicles won't have to re-invent the wheel each time, by working out how to shoehorn everything in there. There'll be a standard [and presumably VW tested] blueprint for the job.
1992 VW LT35 2,4D [SOLD]
1993 VW LT35 2,4D [SOLD]
1992 VW T3 1,6TD Syncro [SOLD]
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: VW Approved Electric Conversions on the Horizon? Reply with quote

Says it is based on the e-Up electric platform, so they modified it to put a Beetle body on top. They could also adapt for a 356. Batteries likely in the floor. I've wondered for a while how to hide the batteries in an electric conversion. But, who would do this to a pre 1968 Beetle? or a 356?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Approved Electric Conversions on the Horizon? Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
But, who would do this to a pre 1968 Beetle? or a 356?

someone with more money than brains. sad thing is, there seems to be a lot of them out there...

I don't see any auto manufacturer offering a kit, for a lot of the reasons mentioned. they want you to buy new. they don't want you retrofitting your 2010 or your 1960. this is just feel good bs.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Approved Electric Conversions on the Horizon? Reply with quote

stuzbot, I will suggest that with your confidence in the total world wide ban of the engine and vision for conversions that you drop you life's saving into the conversation industry and get rich. I will watch from here...
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Approved Electric Conversions on the Horizon? Reply with quote

I think VW approved conversions in Europe is simply another way to sell electrification.
VWaA sold 1800 eGolfs in 2019, they are not going to be bothered with 12 people that really want to, and pay to electrify their old air cooled Bug.
But it would be nice if the VW Aftermarket could get past slapping an electric motor onto a 50 year old VW transaxle.

There were about 90,000 electric cars sold in the US, I'm sure Copart has a few that could be bought for drive train & batteries.
Meanwhile I've been watching this guy dissect a Chevy Bolt

Link

Link

Link

Link

Link

Link

View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Approved Electric Conversions on the Horizon? Reply with quote

It uses a custom floorpan and drivetrain, so it's not really a "conversion" like the "swap engine out for motor" conversions we've seen posted here.

It has maybe 25% more HP (though way more torque from a standstill) and 1000# more weight (50% more), so it's never going to be terribly efficient, and it's range isn't much over 100 miles. And I hope they upgraded the drum brakes!

I think it's being labeled a "conversion" so that it can be sold without being required to pass new car crash standards, which is course this hasn't got a chance of doing.

I wonder if this effort is part of their "pollution penance"?

Notice the "VOLKSWAGEN" script is missing... this probably won't be sold as a VW legally, again so it's not a "new" car.

https://jalopnik.com/volkswagen-will-now-convert-classic-beetles-to-electric-1837900039
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Approved Electric Conversions on the Horizon? Reply with quote

For those who think VW isn’t really interested in this concept car (conversion), just remember that many thought the same about the “New” Beetle which, as the years rolled by, eventually was mass produced.

And there will be a profit for VW. We should remember that millions of these cars still exist, south of the border in Mexico, Central, and South America, as well as many other countries all over the world. Millions of conversion kits, equals many millions of dollars in profit.

And, remember. Some form of electric conveyance other than gasoline-powered cars is coming, as surely as the horse was replaced by the automobile. If I can get a kit to keep my bug on the road, I’m all for it. The alternative is to crush it, or store it in the garage as an heirloom.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Approved Electric Conversions on the Horizon? Reply with quote

VW is just demonstrating the versatility of their new electric platform.

The Jalopnik article has more info about this conversion. It is a modified original pan. Looks like the frame horns may be cut off? Additional mounts welded to torsion tube.

Batteries mounted under the floor?

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Approved Electric Conversions on the Horizon? Reply with quote

Its far easier efficiency wise...to just convert a beetle engine to natural gas. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: VW Approved Electric Conversions on the Horizon? Reply with quote

nothing new
https://de.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/VW_T2-Elektrotransporter
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: