Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Get Karmann
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoeM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:16 am    Post subject: Get Karmann Reply with quote

Who would have thought, after watching Get Smart all those years ago, I would end up with a car just like on the show (season 3-4).
My plan for this is to get it on the road as soon as possible. I want it as a car I can drive every day.
It’s awesome to work on a project that is mostly complete, and once I finish my other project “Kombi Garage” I’ll get back to Karmann, and do a more thorough job.

Link
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Get Karmann Reply with quote

That's a good start Joe...keep 'em coming. Smile
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JoeM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Get Karmann Reply with quote

Thanks John.

I tackled the wiring for the Karman Ghia, which proved interesting. Just about everything was disconnected when I got it, so it took a while to work things out, even with my Bentley manual.

Link
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Get Karmann Reply with quote

Perfect Joe... a very professional presentation. I have a feeling this is going to build up to a very useful resource. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Get Karmann Reply with quote

Brake line wasn't even hooked up to the wheel cylinder... how weird.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Get Karmann Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

If you think about it, every previous owner likely had their "braking" point that finally tipped the scales over to "give up now and just sell this endless project before it drives me to either the madhouse or the poorhouse".

That one wheel cylinder may have been this Ghia's previous owner's "braking" point. Wink

I love the video format of this Karmann Ghia refresh thus far - I'm glad to see someone Get Smart and present their progress this way.

Keep up the great work!
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Get Karmann Reply with quote

As a brand new owner to be, I am rapt!
JoeM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Get Karmann Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:
EverettB wrote:

If you think about it, every previous owner likely had their "braking" point that finally tipped the scales over to "give up now and just sell this endless project before it drives me to either the madhouse or the poorhouse".

That one wheel cylinder may have been this Ghia's previous owner's "braking" point. Wink

Yes, when I bought it, it came with a number of items removed. Headlights, taillights, etc. So I guess someone had plans to redo the brakes and stopped at removing the brake line Confused

In the next video coming up, when you see the condition of the brake, it makes sense that someone would have started removing them.

Thanks for the support and feedback!
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: Get Karmann Reply with quote

Just for clarity, a braking point is the point where brakes are applied. A breaking point is when things start to break. Laughing
End of grammar lesson.
Nicholas
JoeM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: Get Karmann Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
Just for clarity, a braking point is the point where brakes are applied. A breaking point is when things start to break. Laughing
End of grammar lesson.
Nicholas

Yes, grammar can save lives, as in "Let's eat grandpa" or "let's eat, grandpa".
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: Get Karmann Reply with quote

JoeM wrote:
sputnick60 wrote:
End of grammar lesson.
Nicholas

Psst, that would be punctuation, not grammar.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
W088LY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: Get Karmann Reply with quote

Looking forward to more video's. Very helpful
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Get Karmann Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
JoeM wrote:
sputnick60 wrote:
End of grammar lesson.
Nicholas

Psst, that would be punctuation, not grammar.

I'm not certain if you'd consider purposely using the incorrect homonym inside quotation marks in place of the correct word choice a matter of grammar or puctuation, ... but I considered it an attempt at humor. Wink

Now let's get back to our regularly scheduled programming on this channel and watch some more videos! Smile
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Get Karmann Reply with quote

Uh, oh! I'm going to have to put a copy of Strunk and White in my garage now.
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
JoeM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: Get Karmann Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:
Now let's get back to our regularly scheduled programming on this channel and watch some more videos! Smile

I hear you.

Link
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:48 am    Post subject: Re: Get Karmann Reply with quote

JoeM wrote:
KGCoupe wrote:

I hear you.

Link

Great installment...just loving the Woody Woodpecker hammer action and wouldn't you know it...our wives are ALWAYS right. Laughing
JoeM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Get Karmann Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
and wouldn't you know it...our wives are ALWAYS right. Laughing

My wife just confirmed that this is true Very Happy
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Get Karmann Reply with quote

Once again, Agent 99 comes to the recue. Smile

Very cool video - I love how you clever people make everything look so easy.

Personally, I can't recall attempting any car repair that didn't involve one or more (usually more) aspect that had me stalled for an unfortunately long time - be it a rusted frozen fastener, not being able to find the correct tool, not being able to reach where I need to reach, or whatever.

I guess you did struggle with removing that one old wheel bearing, though.

Perhaps I'll consider filming myself doing repairs (with the audio muted, naturally Embarassed) so that I can later watch myself fast forwarding through all of those struggles.
I'm thinking what a confidence booster that would be watching myself just power right on through the difficulties and get them all handled swiftly and with ease. Smile

Thanks for the video, and please keep them coming.
JoeM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Get Karmann Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:
Personally, I can't recall attempting any car repair that didn't involve one or more (usually more) aspect that had me stalled for an unfortunately long time

You are right, and with my other project (kombi), I did just that, got stuck and learnt the hard way with many failures.

Don't worry, the rear brakes did have a few challenges that you will see in the next video. Wink
JoeM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:48 am    Post subject: Re: Get Karmann Reply with quote

Super excited!
I had my first drive in the Karmann Ghia, after completing the brakes.

Link
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: