Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Karmann Ghia’s predecessors and successors
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:12 am    Post subject: The Karmann Ghia’s predecessors and successors Reply with quote

Ok, I’ve heard of Ghia’s Lincoln d'elegance and its relationship to the Karmann Ghia—

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

but Ghia’s Plymouth Explorer?!

Last edited by Trylon on Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:26 am; edited 1 time in total
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1954 Ghia Plymouth Explorer Reply with quote

You'll find Ghia like a lot of the other Italian design studios had a distinctive "House Style" where a lot of the styling accents were repeated through designs for other marques.

The Volvo P1800 was a Ghia design built in the same Karmann factory as our beauty. Note the P1800's roofline...

also the '52 Lancia Aurelia Ghia was also sporting the distinctive roofline before the arrival of the Chrysler d'Elegance...

...the 1952 Fiat 8V Ghia Coupe...

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Last edited by John Moxon on Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:59 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1954 Ghia Plymouth Explorer Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
You'll find Ghia like a lot of the other Italian design studios had a distinctive "House Style" where a lot of the styling accents were repeated through designs for other marques.

The Volvo P1800 was a Ghia design built in the same Karmann factory as our beauty. Note the P1800's roofline...

Actually, Volvo wanted Karmann to build the cars but Volkswagen, threatened threatened to cancel their contract for the Karmann Ghia if they did.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1954 Ghia Plymouth Explorer Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:

Actually, Volvo wanted Karmann to build the cars but Volkswagen, threatened threatened to cancel their contract for the Karmann Ghia if they did.

Yep you're right I forgot that little detail...however the other early '50s cars designed by Ghia illustrate that the roofline wasn't an exclusive Exner feature.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1954 Ghia Plymouth Explorer Reply with quote

A lot of Ghia is interesting, they had their fingers all over the place! If I recall Fords top trim line was known as Ghia for many years.

I was surprised when Audi brought out the TT model that VW didn't seize the unit, make a few cosmetic tweaks and badge it as a new Karmann Ghia.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1954 Ghia Plymouth Explorer Reply with quote

How interesting! Didn't realize there was such a family resemblance across Ghia automobiles.
art_lessing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1954 Ghia Plymouth Explorer Reply with quote

this too...never forget!!!

The side scoop indent makes the rear fender shape that most Ghia designs share...
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1954 Ghia Plymouth Explorer Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
If I recall Fords top trim line was known as Ghia for many years.

Dave

Yes Ford bought the Ghia design studio in the mid '60s and simply used the name for top of the range interiors and wood-grained dash facings. Bit of come-down for the name of Ghia. Sad
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1954 Ghia Plymouth Explorer Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
djkeev wrote:

Dave

Yes Ford bought the Ghia design studio in the mid '60s and simply used the name for top of the range interiors and wood-grained dash facings. Bit of come-down for the name of Ghia. Sad

Ford destroys everything it touches. Look what they did to the Jaguar.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
1973 Ghia convertible
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1954 Ghia Plymouth Explorer Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
John Moxon wrote:
djkeev wrote:

Dave

Ford destroys everything it touches. Look what they did to the Jaguar.

Jaguar was a screaming POS before Ford acquired them, but they certainly did nothing to improve upon them.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
KMW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1954 Ghia Plymouth Explorer Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:

Actually neither Ghia nor Karmann.
Design was by Swedish designer Pelle Pettersson and the first years it was built in England.
Later Volvo moved production to Sweden, the 1800S models.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1954 Ghia Plymouth Explorer Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:

Looks more like a Nash Healey than anything.
Now, just photoshop Ivanka Lloyd-Wright in there and you'd have a winner. Laughing
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1954 Ghia Plymouth Explorer Reply with quote

KMW wrote:
John Moxon wrote:

Actually neither Ghia nor Karmann.
Design was by Swedish designer Pelle Pettersson and the first years it was built in England.
Later Volvo moved production to Sweden, the 1800S models.

Perhaps a proxy Ghia... Wink
Wiki wrote:
Styling was by Pelle Petterson under the tutelage of Pietro Frua when Frua's studio was a subsidiary of the prestigious Italian carrozzeria Ghia,

KMW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1954 Ghia Plymouth Explorer Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

I was surprised when Audi brought out the TT model that VW didn't seize the unit, make a fee cosmetic tweaks and badge it as a new Karmann Ghia.

Easy, VW owns neither of the names Karmann Ghia.
Karmann still exists as builder of mobile homes even though VW bought the Osnabrück factory after that part of Karmann went bankrupt.
Ghia was bought by Ford in the 70s thus Ford would object to the use of that name.
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 Ghia Plymouth Explorer Reply with quote

art_lessing wrote:
this too...never forget!!!

The side scoop indent makes the rear fender shape that most Ghia designs share...

Yes! I think I know this subliminally but its never been a conscious fact until now.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 Ghia Plymouth Explorer Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
A lot of Ghia is interesting, they had their fingers all over the place! If I recall Fords top trim line was known as Ghia for many years.

I was surprised when Audi brought out the TT model that VW didn't seize the unit, make a few cosmetic tweaks and badge it as a new Karmann Ghia.

Dave

The design is nearly as classic. I find the TT to be my #1 recent design choice. Too bad the quirks are so many. My Brother in Law's 02 had a transmission issue that ended up costing $7,000 to 'fix' (replace). My sister's was in the shop more than on the street. I still want one, heck, maybe two! Just the MK1 tho, the newer ones lost something I can't quite put my finger on. And, the coup, not the roadster, those are pretty ugly IMHO.
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 Ghia Plymouth Explorer Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
djkeev wrote:

Dave

The design is nearly as classic. I find the TT to be my #1 modern design choice. Too bad the quirks are so many. My Brother in Law's 02 had a transmission issue that ended up costing $7,000 to 'fix' (replace). My sister's was in the shop more than on the street. I still want one, heck, maybe two! Just the MK1 tho, the newer ones lost something I can't quite put my finger on. And, the coup, not the roadster, those are pretty ugly IMHO.

Had my 2013 TTS coupe since new— never a single issue! I tend to agree that the first model was more the dream car— became more plebeian in the later incarnation. Every car I see seems to have the same scooping side and the corporate front doesn’t quite work on it as it does the other models.

But don’t tell anyone— trying to finance my Karmann Ghia Fever with it!
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 Ghia Plymouth Explorer Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
John Moxon wrote:

Looks more like a Nash Healey than anything.
Now, just photoshop Ivanka Lloyd-Wright in there and you'd have a winner. Laughing

The entire roof of that Fiat 8V Ghia Coupe could be replaced with a VW Karmann Ghia roof and nobody would ever be able to tell the difference. Smile
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 Ghia Plymouth Explorer Reply with quote

I’ll agree.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kurt912
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 Ghia Plymouth Explorer Reply with quote

Here's an interesting one:Renault Fregate Ondine cabriolet, designed by Ghia and dating approx. 2 years before the production Karmann Ghia coupe.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: