Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

46 Bug
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ante76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:40 pm    Post subject: 46 Bug Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

...some leave her on a field looong time ago!!!
Grant Reiling Premium Member
Samba Slow-Change Artist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 46 bug Reply with quote

ante76 wrote:

...some leave her on a field looong time ago!!!

Looks to be an oval beetle.
(and not a modified split window, as a true 1946 beetle would've had).
Splits had a more "pointy" perimeter than this has ..so unsure where that supposition (that it's a '46) is from. Question
I do note the pressed-logo dash pod which may be the reason to believe its an earlier car...but the window opening looks un-hacked; yet clearly NOT a split window. Confused
Do you have VIN/chassis information on it? Question ...would be interesting to learn more. Arrow
What we imagine in our minds becomes our world. That’s just one of many things I have learned from water."
Misaru Emoto
The Hidden Messages in Water
oldovaldriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 46 bug Reply with quote

I hope we get more information on this beetle. I would put a lot more weight on the early dashboard than the oval rear window. Many beetles had their windows updated to remain fashionable, and many were done well with kits, salvage clips, etc. On the other hand there would be no reason to back date the dashboard.
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 46 bug Reply with quote

Grant Reiling wrote:

Looks to be an oval beetle.
(and not a modified split window, as a true 1946 beetle would've had).

looks to be a split to me. I find it hard to believe someone would add the '46 dash AND split one-piece window doors into an oval window. (one piece glass can not be use in oval doors)

one piece 'cal look' windows did not become cool until the cal look days...NOT before. It was incredibly uncommon, if not unheard of, to backdate a car way back when..everyone was installing later windows/doors/fenders/etc to earlier cars.
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:10 am    Post subject: Re: 46 bug Reply with quote

Why the secrecy about your location, given as Europe? If one looks in your previous pictures, your can see the pick up truck has an HR country sticker on it, which is Croatia, and in one picture you can see an envelope with your name and address on the front!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: 46 bug Reply with quote

not so sure that picture of dash goes with that picture of red car. It appears red car is an oval, black car pictured in his album posted same day is earlier. Black car....black dash???? On reddish VW even the taillights have been changed to later model. Anything is possible here.
ante76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: 46 bug Reply with quote

Martin Southwell wrote:
Why the secrecy about your location, given as Europe? If one looks in your previous pictures, your can see the pick up truck has an HR country sticker on it, which is Croatia, and in one picture you can see an envelope with your name and address on the front!

...no secrecy about location, sorry! Changed!!!
When I registered first time I wrote Europe and forget change...
I am from little village near Dubrovnik!!!
ante76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: 46 bug Reply with quote

...I am going to my garage and take look for chassis and body number!
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: 46 bug Reply with quote

wheel607 wrote:
not so sure that picture of dash goes with that picture of red car.

you can see the split dash inside the red 'oval'
oldovaldriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: 46 bug Reply with quote

I don't see anything red about the 'oval' car except surface rust. Both exterior and dashboard photos seem to show black paint and a lighter under coat, possibly primer.
ante76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 46 bug Reply with quote

body number 706x
chassis number 1-05812x
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 46 bug Reply with quote

ante76 wrote:
...I am going to my garage and take look for chassis and body number!

Could you take a picture of the inside of the spare wheel well please, where the wires run across for the headlights. If a 46, and original in this area, then this will help confirm if a 46 or not.

Just seen in the time that I was writing this, that you submitted a photo of the ID plate. Looks like you have a great find on your hands. Mid 46 by the look of it.

ps Croatia is a lovely country. Have been there 5/6 times. Was there in 1994 at the tail end of the war, when Dubrovnik was a war zone. Long story!

Last edited by Martin Southwell on Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 46 bug Reply with quote

sled wrote:
wheel607 wrote:
not so sure that picture of dash goes with that picture of red car.

you can see the split dash inside the red 'oval'

It's a rettiwz.
rod_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:40 am    Post subject: Re: 46 bug Reply with quote

I will go with Martin's request, please can we have a picture of the spare wheel well including the ID plate right to the bottom of the well.

I'm also intrigued about the ID plate as it is made differently to my '46. Of course they could have been back in the summer of 1946 as mine is late November.

1946 Beetle (Back on the road after over 50 years! Last major outing - Hessisch Oldendorf 2022)
2016 T6 Selfbuild Camper and a LWB MAN TGE in build.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ante76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: 46 bug Reply with quote

Ok I will
I have this two photo in mobile phone...

-rear lamp is diferent , don t know is it original for this bug

-and peace of original colour, some kind of green

virtanen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: 46 bug Reply with quote

Early 46 had this kind of license plate light, maybe the same like late Kübels? Could you look also the door hinges, how the look like?
New projects
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rod_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: 46 bug Reply with quote

If the rib shown in the lower picture is the one at the bottom of the flat area below the fuel tank then the body is not a 1946.

A picture of the complete area may confirm.

1946 Beetle (Back on the road after over 50 years! Last major outing - Hessisch Oldendorf 2022)
2016 T6 Selfbuild Camper and a LWB MAN TGE in build.
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: 46 bug Reply with quote

As Mika correctly observes, the rear light is the same as that fitted to the Kubel, and were fitted to early Beetles also. When this changed I don't know, but I would suggest that if mid 46, then there is a chance that this is original.

It's funny, as all of us early Beetle buffs get excited about such finds, as usually this is how we came across our own cars, and can appreciate your excitement.

What does the jacking point look like? The part underneath where you lift the car to change the wheel. Is it round, or is it square?

Shame we can't be with you, as we would all be crawling over the car!
ante76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: 46 bug Reply with quote

...think it is round!!! Bug is in bad condition and lot of parts are missing! I never see early split bug live so I need your help in every details ! I know this is veeeery expensive project but first I would like to know is this 1946 bug! Thanks everyone with help!!!
qwerty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: 46 bug Reply with quote

I have had two '46 beetles 1-061254 body 10086 and 1-061320 body 10089.
Your VIN/Body numbers seem in line.

I think in the original picture I can see a 5 fingered door hinge which would be correct. The green paint is correct for many chassis and brake backing plates etc. There was a dark green and a lighter green on both of my cars.

My understanding is that they didn't have the tooling for the brake light - both of my cars have the same as the one in the picture.

There are some pictures in the gallery if you search for user name qwerty

Nice find!
Mark
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: