Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ice pick handle lock adjustment screw - SOLVED
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
catahoula lou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:21 am    Post subject: Ice pick handle lock adjustment screw - SOLVED Reply with quote

I've already searched the forums for help, but did not find what I need.

I replaced the screws on both handles with ~20mm long screws with ~12mm sticking out through the floating inserts toward the inside of the ice picks themselves (toward bottom of photo), but I can still open both doors, even when locked/unlocked. Following "exploded" photo shows screw backed out to halfway:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Verified that the locking slider that goes both ways in each handle works and that each insert/screw head does not bind when assembled.

Am I using screws that are too long (20mm) and/or setting the amount of stick-out (12mm) too far?

A quick reply would be appreciated so that I can finally get my doors finished.

Best,
Thom
1 1958 pantina red Lowlight Ghia (the "Chili Pepper")

Still looking for:
(1) My Dad's 1955 356 (he raced it amateur-class at Riverside and other courses during 1950s),
(2) My parent's black 1955 hardtop bug (CA license plate FWC 201 or FWG 201), and
(3) My parent's agave green 1957 ragtop bug (CA license plate LFK 734).

Last edited by catahoula lou on Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:12 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
catahoula lou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Ice pick handle lock adjustment screw Reply with quote

Anybody?

But then, maybe they did not originally come with the screws and the PO had modified them with screws because the "floating paddle" ends wore down through the years?

Still looking for:
(1) My Dad's 1955 356 (he raced it amateur-class at Riverside and other courses during 1950s),
(2) My parent's black 1955 hardtop bug (CA license plate FWC 201 or FWG 201), and
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Ice pick handle lock adjustment screw Reply with quote

There were a couple different styles used on Beetles..

up through 1955
and
56-59

None which look like those..

Those have been modified..with a screw added. It appears the paddle syle of 56-59 was modified to be used on the finger style pre 56 ..

What year door do you have ?

Handle style choice is dependent on the year of door and mechanism used.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=448860

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=119411

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
catahoula lou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Ice pick handle lock adjustment screw - KINDA SORTA SOLVED Reply with quote

Solved the "problem".

As it turns out, the screws shown that the PO had installed were not needed at all. Took both out and the LHS works, but the RHS still sticks.

But, as my neighbor said the other day "you only need LHS to get in, then open RHS from inside".

I have keyed versions, of the left one shown in upper photo shown above, in both doors my 59 ragtop bug (yes, I realize likely not original setup).

Best,
Thom

Still looking for:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: