Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Interior ideas for surfer van
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
baciamille
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:55 pm    Post subject: Interior ideas for surfer van Reply with quote

My 1977 is finally going in to get the body done next week (beyond excited!) and while it's away I have a few months to think about the interior.

I surf and my longest board is 9ft6". I sometimes carry one or two boards, a bunch of beach chairs, boogies boards and surf doodads like fins and wax. I like to be able to keep my boards inside the van because of theft, but I generally have anywhere from 1 to 4 people with me. I do have a full roof rack.

I currently only have a bench seat along with driver and passenger seats. I'm planning on building drawers under the bench seat and another sliding drawer kit in the trunk. I'm also considering a jump seat behind the passenger seat.

Has anyone done something fun with seating and surfboard storage? Thoughts? Ideas? Ruminations? Thanks!!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior ideas for surfer van Reply with quote

bears?
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior ideas for surfer van Reply with quote

Well, whatever you do you'll need plenty of room to change into your wetsuit.

Tough call.
JimmyJagged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior ideas for surfer van Reply with quote

I've liked the idea of using surfboard racks, or straps, hanging from the ceiling.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/205758276705068298/?nic=1
1985 Pop Top Weekender Vanagon (my 19yo son's first car. father/son project)
1985 Pop Top Weekender Vanagon w/ 2.5 Subaru

Past:
1976 Rabbit diesel (my first car). RIP. totaled by drunk driver (not me!)
1973 Pop Top Westfalia Weekender Bus. RIP. Blown engine due to 25yo ignorant of VW maintenance (me).
1986 Vanagon Transporter. RIP. totaled by drunk driver (not me!)
1987 Vanagon Syncro. I never should have sold.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior ideas for surfer van Reply with quote

I've carried ladders like that in my service vans. Works great!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior ideas for surfer van Reply with quote

cmonSTART wrote:
I've carried ladders like that in my service vans. Works great!

And 4 more people?, they must have been midgets. Sounds to me like you'll need a trailer or you'll have to put the boards on the rack while driving if you want to bring others along. 9'6" will stick into the back of the RF passengers head if you close the hatch, if you leave the RF seat empty there's still the problem of how will everyone else climb over/under to find a seat along the drivers side?

I foresee a Sprinter in your future, unless your pals take their own car. Wink

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior ideas for surfer van Reply with quote

changing into a wetsuit in a VW bus is for midgets. We used to open the sunroof to be able to stand up. Since the courts have decided talc causes ovarian and other cancers, be sure to spread lots around the inside of the van when you are suiting up too. Smile above all else, remember that while you are surfing the homeless are eyeing your bus as a potential new home. Laughing
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior ideas for surfer van Reply with quote

cmonSTART wrote:
Well, whatever you do you'll need plenty of room to change into your wetsuit.

Tough call.

fukin epic Laughing

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior ideas for surfer van Reply with quote

Look at the cool guys surfing in their VW van

bus

Right
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior ideas for surfer van Reply with quote

I’ve changed into my wetsuit in my westy many a time. You all are nattering nabobs of negativity. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
HoboBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:28 am    Post subject: Re: Interior ideas for surfer van Reply with quote

How about a little outside-the-box (outside-the-bus? Very Happy ) thinking...

Maybe try to find yourself a high-top top -- JUST the top.

Remove your rack, and bolt the high top to the top of your bus. Don't cut any holes in your bus roof, just use it as a "theft-proof rack". Make a rear door / side door to the top section, mount some rollers inside to load and unload the boards, etc. Kinda like a big pickup truck bed cap for the top of your bus.

Good luck,
Hobo

Just a beach-oriented camping Hobo with a bus.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:34 am    Post subject: Re: Interior ideas for surfer van Reply with quote

If it’s level one theft you are worried about, crime of opportunity, it should be hard TO fab cable locks for the boards.

If it’s level two theft or higher, your Bus is just a convenient carrying box for your surfboards
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Interior ideas for surfer van Reply with quote

Ok here’s my two cents. Put the boards on the outside. Get a lock for them if you’re worried. Slip them inside the bus when your at some place you think they might get stolen. Generally I put the boards on the rack, drive to the beach and use them. No issues then. I change into my wet suit almost daily, plenty of room in a bus and way better than a Subaru.
I’ve never had a board stolen in over 35 years of hauling them around. But again, put them on the rack, go to beach, used them, problem fixed. Wink
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71 tin top stock 1600 DP (project but runs)
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
1966 Sundial Camper "Boomer"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Interior ideas for surfer van Reply with quote

cousin lost a very expensive Surfboard's Hawaii on a roof rack just turning his back for 10 seconds to pick up a second board to load it on top.
xyzzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Interior ideas for surfer van Reply with quote

A 9'6 fits perfectly inside a 73 westy simply on the backrest of the back seat and the icebox.
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Interior ideas for surfer van Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
Welcome to TheSamba, Bay Window Bus Forum!

Link

Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Interior ideas for surfer van Reply with quote

Less is best when it comes to interior cabinets and boxes and all IMHO.

If you are doing this kind of thing with the ocean,
There will inevitably be water and sand involved.
Best to use a few Rubbermaid totes for anything that might be wet and sandy.
If you build anything out of wood to keep wet/sandy stuff in, capillary action will carry it to the far reaches forevermore.
I have different bins for different activities.
If I'm on a long safari with a need to camp, there's a shallow one that fills most of the floor.
Because mine's a Westy, the lift-bar across the middle of the opening makes a perfect drying rack for suits.
With the big wide shallow bin in the bottom of the floor, two suits can hang to dry and all of the water gets caught.

Also, if you look at the late Westy, all along the driver's side, from front to rear, it has a closet, then cooler, then big sink cabinet box thing.
The rear seat is not full width, it stops short at the cooler.
I removed the headbanger, closet, and big sink unit long ago.
The cooler was cut down smaller and lower as well, because it had wasted space underneath.
This way, I can stick a few boards in all along the driver's side,
And still have a couple of passengers, or sleep, camp, or..?

So look at the way the late Westy was set up, and envision what it would be like without all of those crappy cabinets in the way.

If you found a late Westy rock n' roll bed,
You would be 97% of the way there.

This setup has worked for me for many years and many surf missions.

It's crucial to be able to lock everything inside.
Two longboards fit easily - at least to 9'6" or so.
We'll have like five of them in there when company is in from out of town sometimes.

If you need longer then 9'6", you need to surf more, or retire altogether.. Razz

What’s That Noise?!?
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Interior ideas for surfer van Reply with quote

Clatter and 71whitewesty (Pro windsurfer) have probably the most experience with surfboards and Bays in this forum. Some solid advice.

Does anybody have experience with these?

Link

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
zabo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: Interior ideas for surfer van Reply with quote

I really like hobobus's idea. a nice fiberglass high top with a hatch in the back sounds great. cover the buses roof with some carpeting and it would be easy to slide boards in and out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Interior ideas for surfer van Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
Clatter and 71whitewesty (Pro windsurfer) have probably the most experience with surfboards and Bays in this forum. Some solid advice.

I cringe to even invoke the name but HastaAlaska has traveled extensively in places considered not crime-free with boards on his bay
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: