Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Emergency Brake light on dash stays on
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
txasylum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:02 pm    Post subject: Emergency Brake light on dash stays on Reply with quote

On my 1974 Super, the dash light for the emergency brake (hand brake) stays on even when the hand brake is disengaged. If I tap the brake pedal it goes off. Sometimes it stays off, other times it comes back on when I release the foot pedal.

Could one or both of the brake light switches on the master cylinder be the cause of this problem?

Thanks
Bob
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergeny Brake light on dash stays on Reply with quote

No, according to the '74 wiring diagram, the parking brake warning light is not
connected to the brake switches/warning light at all.

EDIT: Sorry, not true, I was looking at wrong wiring diagram.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Last edited by kreemoweet on Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergeny Brake light on dash stays on Reply with quote

The brake-still-on switch at the handbrake could be wonky—assuming you still have it.

If not, on my 1974 Super Beetle, I recently had the same issue. The brake light was staying on longer, going out, then coming back on. After driving and braking a bit, the light would go out. Like you, I thought it was an mc brake switch. In a manner of speaking, it was ... because it wasn’t faulty, it was just doing it’s job.

One of my rear drums was also getting much hotter than normal. As it turned out, the wheel cylinder was frozen, and the shoe was pushing against the drum—all the time. After replacing both rear wheel cylinders, the light went out as normal.

Apparently, the master cylinder switches also register uneven brake pressure.. or, that’s my theory, anyway; because, in effect, one rear brake cylinder was frozen, I replaced the offending cylinder, the light never came on again, except for initial start up (like it should).

This was a month, or so ago. No more brake warning light staying on, since.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
txasylum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:00 am    Post subject: Re: Emergeny Brake light on dash stays on Reply with quote

Yeah, I know. Doesn't make sense to me how just touch the brake pedal cause the dash light to go out.

kreemoweet wrote:
txasylum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: Emergeny Brake light on dash stays on Reply with quote

I've replaced the entire rear brakes, drums, slave cylinders. Did not change a thing. I did that because it needed it, not because of the light on the dash.

Tim Donahoe wrote:
The brake-still-on switch at the handbrake could be wonky—assuming you still have it.

If not, on my 1974 Super Beetle, I recently had the same issue. The brake light was staying on longer, going out, then coming back on. After driving and braking a bit, the light would go out. Like you, I thought it was an mc brake switch. In a manner of speaking, it was ... because it wasn’t faulty, it was just doing it’s job.

One of my rear drums was also getting much hotter than normal. As it turned out, the wheel cylinder was frozen, and the shoe was pushing against the drum—all the time. After replacing both rear wheel cylinders, the light went out as normal.

Apparently, the master cylinder switches also register uneven brake pressure.. or, that’s my theory, anyway; because, in effect, one rear brake cylinder was frozen, I replaced the offending cylinder, the light never came on again, except for initial start up (like it should).

This was a month, or so ago. No more brake warning light staying on, since.

Tim
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergeny Brake light on dash stays on Reply with quote

kreemoweet wrote:

This is not correct.
Here is the diagram for the '74 SB:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The parking brake switch is in track 32 as F9. You can see it is a switched ground circuit. Follow the (grey/green?) wire UP and you see it connects to the A terminal on the seatbelt interlock relay... but it continues back down to the HB terminal on the Brake Warning Lamp assembly. When the parking brake handle is UP it grounds the HB terminal on the Brake Warning Lamp. This opens a path to ground and allows current to flow from #15 thru the bulb.

To the OP, as a test wait for the next time the Brake Warning lamp is stuck ON. Leave the ignition ON so the Brake Warning light stays ON. Do not turn the key. If necessary, release the clutch with the car in gear to kill the engine so you can leave the ignition ON. With the Brake Warning lamp ON, walk around to the back of the car and confirm if the rear brake lights are ON or not. If the brake lights are ON it suggests a stuck brake switch. The Brake Warning lamp is powered by the brake switches only when one fails and power flows thru the other.
If the rear brake lights are NOT on, dig into the trunk and find the red wire that comes from the brake switches and runs to the Brake Warning lamp. This is the K wire. There should be a junction for this wire somewhere in the trunk. Without disconnecting this wire, test it for voltage with your test lamp or VM. If there is voltage, disconnect the two wires at the junction and confirm if the power is coming from the brake switches, or from the Brake Warning lamp? The source of power will be the failed (or miswired) item. The red wire from the brake switches is ONLY powered when one of the switches (or the brake circuit) has failed.

If the Brake Warning lamp still remains ON after disconnecting the red brake wire... it is being powered by the #15 wire at the Brake Warning lamp. There are two paths to ground that would be turning the lamp ON... thru the #61 wire which goes to the Hand Brake switch and the OIL or GEN lamp wire, or thru the #31 ground wire. The ground wire is used by either the press-to-test function of the lamp... or by the transistor inside the lamp. Find the #61 wire and disconnect it. If the lamp goes out, trace which wire path is grounding the #61 wire.
If disconnecting the #61 wire STILL leaves the Brake Warning lamp ON, the internal transistor has failed. I don't know if the transistor can be replaced. If you have narrowed it down to the transistor you should just find a replacement Brake Warning lamp assembly.

Report back what you find.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
txasylum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergeny Brake light on dash stays on Reply with quote

Wow! Thanks for the very detailed instructions to chase this thing down. I really appreciate it. I am going to print this off and follow your instructions. The problem is that I am going out of town tomorrow, so it might be a couple weeks before I can trace this down. But I will and let you know what I find out.

Bob

ashman40 wrote:
kreemoweet wrote:

This is not correct.

The parking brake switch is in track 32 as F9. You can see it is a switched ground circuit. Follow the (grey/green?) wire UP and you see it connects to the A terminal on the seatbelt interlock relay... but it continues back down to the HB terminal on the Brake Warning Lamp assembly. When the parking brake handle is UP it grounds the HB terminal on the Brake Warning Lamp. This opens a path to ground and allows current to flow from #15 thru the bulb.

To the OP, as a test wait for the next time the Brake Warning lamp is stuck ON. Leave the ignition ON so the Brake Warning light stays ON. Do not turn the key. If necessary, release the clutch with the car in gear to kill the engine so you can leave the ignition ON. With the Brake Warning lamp ON, walk around to the back of the car and confirm if the rear brake lights are ON or not. If the brake lights are ON it suggests a stuck brake switch. The Brake Warning lamp is powered by the brake switches only when one fails and power flows thru the other.
If the rear brake lights are NOT on, dig into the trunk and find the red wire that comes from the brake switches and runs to the Brake Warning lamp. This is the K wire. There should be a junction for this wire somewhere in the trunk. Without disconnecting this wire, test it for voltage with your test lamp or VM. If there is voltage, disconnect the two wires at the junction and confirm if the power is coming from the brake switches, or from the Brake Warning lamp? The source of power will be the failed (or miswired) item. The red wire from the brake switches is ONLY powered when one of the switches (or the brake circuit) has failed.

If the Brake Warning lamp still remains ON after disconnecting the red brake wire... it is being powered by the #15 wire at the Brake Warning lamp. There are two paths to ground that would be turning the lamp ON... thru the #61 wire which goes to the Hand Brake switch and the OIL or GEN lamp wire, or thru the #31 ground wire. The ground wire is used by either the press-to-test function of the lamp... or by the transistor inside the lamp. Find the #61 wire and disconnect it. If the lamp goes out, trace which wire path is grounding the #61 wire.
If disconnecting the #61 wire STILL leaves the Brake Warning lamp ON, the internal transistor has failed. I don't know if the transistor can be replaced. If you have narrowed it down to the transistor you should just find a replacement Brake Warning lamp assembly.

Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergency Brake light on dash stays on Reply with quote

Did you also replace the rear soft lines when you did the rear brake job?

Tim

Richard O'Brien
txasylum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: Emergency Brake light on dash stays on Reply with quote

No, I only replaced the drums, brake shoes, hardware (springs, etc.), and the slave cylinders. I inspected the brake lines and they looked good (not wet or leaking).

Tim Donahoe wrote:
Did you also replace the rear soft lines when you did the rear brake job?

Tim
txasylum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergeny Brake light on dash stays on Reply with quote

So I started to mess around with this issue today. I decided to check the wiring on the master cylinder. When I disconnect the brake switch connection closest to the firewall the light goes out. That did not do the trick, but I decided to check how tight the switch is on the car. I was able to tighten it up another two or three more turns. That seemed to help, meaning the light was staying off longer, but it still came on. So I decided to order a new switch since they are cheap enough. We will see.

txasylum wrote:
Wow! Thanks for the very detailed instructions to chase this thing down. I really appreciate it. I am going to print this off and follow your instructions. The problem is that I am going out of town tomorrow, so it might be a couple weeks before I can trace this down. But I will and let you know what I find out.

Bob

ashman40 wrote:
kreemoweet wrote:

This is not correct.

ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Emergeny Brake light on dash stays on Reply with quote

txasylum wrote:
So I started to mess around with this issue today. I decided to check the wiring on the master cylinder. When I disconnect the brake switch connection closest to the firewall the light goes out.

This is a BIG clue that the brake switches are bad... or they are wired incorrectly.

Here is a pic from Speedy Jim's site that shows how the brake switches and the Brake Warning lamp works.

When BOTH switches work properly, current flows to the rear brake lamps when there is pressure in the MC.
When one side of the MC fails and doesn't build pressure, the failed brake switch sends 12v+ over the red wire (K) to the Brake Warning lamp when there is a failure at the MC. It does this by connecting the Brake Warning lamp to the rear lamp circuit making the Brake Warning lamp a 3rd brake light.
The K circuit can also be powered if the brake switches are wired incorrectly. Pay careful attention to which colored wire connects to which terminal on the switch (bottom two diagrams).
txasylum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergeny Brake light on dash stays on Reply with quote

So, it seems I was having problems with the front switch only. With the rear switch (closest to front) connected, I disconnected the switch closest to get to the firewall. The light went out. I'm guessing that was the bad one. I ordered one switch only to change it out. From your post, is it possible the MC is bad? I am getting pressure to all four wheels when stepping on the pedal. If it means anything, the break lights work as they should, meaning they only come on when the break pedal is applied.

ashman40 wrote:
txasylum wrote:
So I started to mess around with this issue today. I decided to check the wiring on the master cylinder. When I disconnect the brake switch connection closest to the firewall the light goes out.

This is a BIG clue that the brake switches are bad... or they are wired incorrectly.

Here is a pic from Speedy Jim's site that shows how the brake switches and the Brake Warning lamp works.

When BOTH switches work properly, current flows to the rear brake lamps when there is pressure in the MC.
When one side of the MC fails and doesn't build pressure, the failed brake switch sends 12v+ over the red wire (K) to the Brake Warning lamp when there is a failure at the MC. It does this by connecting the Brake Warning lamp to the rear lamp circuit making the Brake Warning lamp a 3rd brake light.
The K circuit can also be powered if the brake switches are wired incorrectly. Pay careful attention to which colored wire connects to which terminal on the switch (bottom two diagrams).
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergency Brake light on dash stays on Reply with quote

Did you check the wiring at the brake switch boots? If the boots are wired wrong you cold have the same issue even with a working brake switch.

Test the switch and test the wiring. Look at the above diagram and you can see that the switch closes the opposing contacts when you step on the brake pedal. Use a test lamp or MM and test the switch.
Also, you can see that #81 and #81a are connected together when the switch is NOT pressurized. Confirm this is the case.

Test the brake switch plug. First make sure the correct colored wires are in their proper place on the boot (bottom right diagram). Test that with the ignition ON there is 12v on the black #82a wire.
Using a jumper wire connect #82a to #81 and the rear brake lights should turn ON.
Move the jumper wire so #81 and #81a are shorted together. This simulates a failed brake circuit. With the other brake switch connected to its plug and the ignition switch ON, step on the brake pedal and the Brake Warning lamp should turn ON along with the rear brake lights. This confirms that plug is wired correctly. Swap to the other plug and run the same tests.
txasylum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergency Brake light on dash stays on Reply with quote

Thank you all for the information. Yes, I did check the wiring, but suspected it was one of the two brake switches. So I ordered one, put it on and problem solved. IT was a bad brake switch. Glad it was that easy, sort of.... LOL

ashman40 wrote:
Did you check the wiring at the brake switch boots? If the boots are wired wrong you cold have the same issue even with a working brake switch.

Test the switch and test the wiring. Look at the above diagram and you can see that the switch closes the opposing contacts when you step on the brake pedal. Use a test lamp or MM and test the switch.
Also, you can see that #81 and #81a are connected together when the switch is NOT pressurized. Confirm this is the case.

Test the brake switch plug. First make sure the correct colored wires are in their proper place on the boot (bottom right diagram). Test that with the ignition ON there is 12v on the black #82a wire.
Using a jumper wire connect #82a to #81 and the rear brake lights should turn ON.
Move the jumper wire so #81 and #81a are shorted together. This simulates a failed brake circuit. With the other brake switch connected to its plug and the ignition switch ON, step on the brake pedal and the Brake Warning lamp should turn ON along with the rear brake lights. This confirms that plug is wired correctly. Swap to the other plug and run the same tests.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: