Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Coolant Temperature Reference Map: 2.1L 2WD
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:05 pm    Post subject: Coolant Temperature Reference Map: 2.1L 2WD Reply with quote

I'd like to construct a baseline Coolant Temperature Reference Map for a healthy 2.1L 2WD Vanagon.
This will be very handy for debugging cooling problems, like I have right now.

If you have 10 minutes, an IR temperature gun and a healthy, warmed up 2.1L 2WD, can you take the following readings and post them here?

Once we get 8-10 measurements, we should have a pretty good mapping of average temperatures at these locations.

I don't know whom to attribute the base coolant flow map, it's on Ben's site and TK used it unattributed in a post.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Coolant Temperature Reference Map: 2.1L 2WD Reply with quote

Excellent idea, Sanchius!

Hope to buy an IR gun soon, and hope I can participate. I really study our cooling system vigorously, but only on the gauge. We've never come close to overheating thus far but would like to expand knowledge on this as you propose.

Thanks!

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Coolant Temperature Reference Map: 2.1L 2WD Reply with quote

Below is my current temperature map with a too hot or malfunctioning 87C thermostat

Yes, it is overkill, but I like the picture of the coolant system that emerges.
And the picture will be even clearer once a couple of other people take the same measurements.

I hesitate to post it here as the 1st map as my instrument temp gauge says I am overheating.

My instrument panel temp gauge has always read ~95+% and it now steadily climbs to 101% and just stays there with the LED flashing. There is no reduction in the indicated temp showing the Thermostat (TS) opening and introducing cool water into the system during warmup. Yet the pipes to the front are quite warm to the touch, indicating that the TS has opened.

The radiator fan never turns on automatically, I have to manually switch it on.
And the engine exhibits no unusual behavior, knocking or boil-over indicating overheating.

New water pump, thermostat (Stant 13649, OE 190 Degrees Fahrenheit with small air portal), tank, cap and radiator.
The thermostat did open fully when put in a pan of boiling water and the coolant system does hold pressure.
System was pressure filled and bled several times.
Since I no longer trust the 33 year old stock coolant temperature sensors, new Temp & Temp II sensors, and radiator fan switches are on the way.

The question I have is "Are these normal coolant temperatures or do I really have an overheating problem?"

(The unusually cool radiator face temperatures (C-F), cooler than the Radiator Outlet (I) and Thermostat return line (S) temperatures, may indicate that the IR gun is reading the radiator fins, not the internal radiator coolant pipes. )

sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Coolant Temperature Reference Map: 2.1L 2WD Reply with quote

Below is my current temperature map under normal operations, with the instrument gauge steady at 60%.

The big change from the earlier map is that I removed the 87C thermostat and installed a 80C thermostat.

The air temperatures were almost 20C cooler as well

New water pump, 80C thermostat, tank, cap, radiator, Temp & Temp II sensors, and radiator fan switches.

Some values don't make sense, such as L.,J.,H. But maybe one of them, possibly J. is an inaccurate reading.

JEL91Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Coolant Temperature Reference Map: 2.1L 2WD Reply with quote

Reviving this thread, as I have an entirely new cooling system and have been trying to sort out a temp sender / gauge issue. I actually posted last night asking someone to just give me a temp from the lower thermostat housing on a warmed up 2.1 with correctly operating system. This goes above and beyond what I was looking for. One potential issue I see with this approach may be the accuracy of the IR guns, but I assume they should all be within 5 deg of each other, which is close enough for this purpose.

It looks like you solved your problem, but I will take some measurements this weekend and fill in the blanks assuming this data will be very helpful to others trying to sort their system. This should probably be added to the facts thread.

Thank you.
Joe
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: