Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

LED replacement bulbs for Bay Window Transporters
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:18 pm    Post subject: LED replacement bulbs for Bay Window Transporters Reply with quote

I have changed out a few of my old incandescent bulbs for LEDs over the last few years and found that some are about right in brightness while others are a bit dim. Thought I would start a thread where others could post the sources and brands/part numbers of the LED bulbs they have had success with.
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: LED replacement bulbs for Bay Window Transporters Reply with quote

I swapped all of my bulbs out to led several years ago. I purchased mine off of ebay so I won't be of much help. That being said, leds have advanced over the last couple of years so I would put more credence in answers from those that have recently upgraded.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: LED replacement bulbs for Bay Window Transporters Reply with quote

This should be an interesting thread! Lots of different small bulb solutions going on in the market these days.

I am kind of intererested to see different LED configurations people post. About as many are just the simple LED block/chip soldered to two wires. Some are domed or lensed. Others are very small arrays with multiple angles. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: LED replacement bulbs for Bay Window Transporters Reply with quote

How about this?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://flowcon.us/td/LedDashLightConversion (available 9am to 9pm, PST)
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: LED replacement bulbs for Bay Window Transporters Reply with quote

I've tried LED replacement bulbs in a couple vehicles and haven't really liked any of them.

In the Thing, I bought a set of LED replacement headlights that are/were available in the classifieds and I fought them for 3 years. They would always blink a little bit, go from high to low beam when you hit the brakes and all sorts of weirdness.

I cleaned up wiring connections lots of times to no avail. Finally swapped in some regular H4/9003 bulbs and they work just fine.

Also tried LED taillights and had similar results. I swapped them into a couple different cars cause they weren't cheap, and didn't like them anywhere.

Perhaps they work fine if everything is perfect, but in my experience they are VERY sensitive to any wiring imperfections at a minimum.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
22manybugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: LED replacement bulbs for Bay Window Transporters Reply with quote

This isn't a bulb replacement, but here's the LED interior light fixture I installed:

Comparison to the original fixture:

When I got the bus, the PO had put in drop-in "wafer" card LEDs in both the dome light and interior light that were bright white. The dome light is okay because it's on only for short times, but the interior light was too jarringly white and unpleasant after any length of time.

I love this new interior LED fixture. It's warm white, it feels like a normal incandescent light. Either one side or both sides can be turned on (like the old fixture). The footprint is a little bigger, but it is thinner so I don't bonk things into it like the old one. This one fixture puts out a good amount of light; I might get another one of this same fixture to mount on the passenger side so I can reach in and turn it on from outside before climbing in the bus.

This is the brand, bought on Amazon. I bought just one, but it looks like they are sold in packs of 3 now. I definitely recommend this fixture:
"MICTUNING 12V LED RV Ceiling Double Dome Light Fixture 11.5 inches RV Interior Lighting with Switch for Trailer Camper (Warm White, Pack of 3)"

1969 Karmann Ghia convertible
1971 Westfalia camper
Clementine79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: LED replacement bulbs for Bay Window Transporters Reply with quote

Ours is a tube type bulb and I do not like the color of the light at all, looking for interior LED that gives a warm yellowish glow like a table lamp in a home would.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: LED replacement bulbs for Bay Window Transporters Reply with quote

McintoshType2 wrote:
[img]Ours is a tube type bulb and I do not like the color of the light at all, looking for interior LED that gives a warm yellowish glow like a table lamp in a home would.

LED lighting comes in many colors. If you want more of the color of incandescent lights, look for "2800K" or "3000K" on the packaging. 4000K and higher are the really white lighting.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
aquarius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: LED replacement bulbs for Bay Window Transporters Reply with quote

I just found some LED replacement bulbs that improved the back-up lights on a '71 bus immensely. First, I cleaned out the reflectors and covered them with aluminum tape. Then, I installed these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H54SP6O/ "LUYED 2 X 1700 Lumens Extremely Bright 1156 4014 102-EX Chipsets 1156 1141 1003 7506 LED Bulbs Used For Backup Reverse Lights,Xenon White"

They fit into the stock housings and are at least twice as bright as the incandescents. The beam pattern is fine, an even floodlight effect. Not every LED bulb is an improvement, but these are!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: LED replacement bulbs for Bay Window Transporters Reply with quote

Well here is my entry

It is an off the shelf aftermarket marker light used in conjunction with the stock bus marker lens. This particular aftermarket light lent itself to being hollowed out to fit the curvature of the bus sheet metal, but many others do not. The screwholes match perfectly, but you need to use screws long enough to go all the way into the metal of the body.

Sorry I do not know the brand and have not been able to find another that works as well, but will keep looking.
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: LED replacement bulbs for Bay Window Transporters Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:
How about this?

http://flowcon.us/td/LedDashLightConversion (available 9am to 9pm, PST)

If you want to avoid impairing your night vision, it would be better to reduce the white-light intensity or use red LEDs which your night vision will see as black.

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Auggie West
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: LED replacement bulbs for Bay Window Transporters Reply with quote

I love the above custom install by Telford dorr so much I just replicated it in my bus! Thanks for the post!
Here’s some of my other custom LED installs that I’m very fond of...

I believe if you click on the picture, it will take you to the gallery with the description...

Dual port 1600
'69 Westy (Pearl)
My former summer home, and has traveled to 31 states, mostly via the scenic route, so far...
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: LED replacement bulbs for Bay Window Transporters Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
I've tried LED replacement bulbs in a couple vehicles and haven't really liked any of them.

In the Thing, I bought a set of LED replacement headlights that are/were available in the classifieds and I fought them for 3 years. They would always blink a little bit, go from high to low beam when you hit the brakes and all sorts of weirdness.

I cleaned up wiring connections lots of times to no avail. Finally swapped in some regular H4/9003 bulbs and they work just fine.

Also tried LED taillights and had similar results. I swapped them into a couple different cars cause they weren't cheap, and didn't like them anywhere.

Perhaps they work fine if everything is perfect, but in my experience they are VERY sensitive to any wiring imperfections at a minimum.

The flickering is a problem with LED arrays where they are simply a resistor and three LEDs in series - the LEDs drop about 10 volts, the resistor drops 2 volts at 12 volts in. If the voltage dips one volt to 11 volts with LEDs the current and brightness halves. With a filament bulb at worst it dims 8% .. so the brake lights were dipping the headlamps by drawing current from the dashboard area of the car making the voltage drop.
If you had fitted LED tail light bulbs the problem would be less.

A better system would involve a boost power supply feeding a longer chain of LEDS with a current limiting design - and more than 3 LEDs in series in the headlamps. Pay more and that is what you may find. Generally this more expensive solution is a little more efficient too.

The little dashboard LEDs have only one LED, so they dont flicker, the LED strips tend to flicker more as they use clusters of three LEDs again.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: LED replacement bulbs for Bay Window Transporters Reply with quote

Auggie West wrote:
I love the above custom install by Telford dorr so much I just replicated it in my bus! Thanks for the post!
Here’s some of my other custom LED installs that I’m very fond of...

I believe if you click on the picture, it will take you to the gallery with the description...

Clicking on thr pictures will simply give one the links to the pictures themselves without any description, as follows:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/2050442.jpg

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/2050441.jpg

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/2050439.jpg

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/2050438.jpg

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/2050437.jpg

Ideally, you need to include the gallery links as well.

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BryanDC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: LED replacement bulbs for Bay Window Transporters Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I read the whole thread posted below which sort of deteriorated when people started fighting over whether the glow of incandescent was important to the VW experience.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=343154&highlight=dashboard+bulb

Never really got a good answer to my question so I’ll put it you.

I have a couple bulbs burned out. I don’t see any reason not to replace with LED. I’m particularly interested in replacing the high beam warning light with an LED because when it’s on at full blast it is barely visible. Just for fun I searched something like “1971 VW bus dashboard bulb” on amazon and got a bunch or options for LED’s which look a lot like the same base as my current old incandescent bulbs and they’re pretty cheap.

I know I’m not supposed to use them in the alternator warning light. Don’t care why. Let’s not start that discussion.

I wanted to be able to search for the actual part I needed so I could really see what my kelvin options were etc. I’m pretty sure that the key seems to be something in the phrase “168 T10” and most likely “T10” based on my limited knowledge of bulb names.

Does that sound right to you guys?

Also, can I just switch the bulbs out or do I need to jump through other hoops to make the bulbs happy?

I’m looking to get some 2700K type bulbs if I can but maybe I just accept what I can get. If anyone has learned anything new about buying dash LED’s lately I’d be happy to hear it!! Thanks guys!
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: LED replacement bulbs for Bay Window Transporters Reply with quote

BryanDC wrote:
I’m particularly interested in replacing the high beam warning light with an LED because when it’s on at full blast it is barely visible.

Apparently, that's by design. If you disassemble the light cluster, you'll find a black mask with a small hole in it blocking the HB indicator. Remove that, and it's just as bright as the other indicators.

BryanDC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: LED replacement bulbs for Bay Window Transporters Reply with quote

Thanks Telford!! Good to know! I was really confused why the bulb seemed so bright from the back and dim from the front. Wonder why they did that. Knowing VW there was an excellent reason.
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: LED replacement bulbs for Bay Window Transporters Reply with quote

Maybe they wanted to match the dim gauge lighting...

One other thing: gauge illumination LEDs won't dim properly using the stock headlight switch dimmer (there are ways around that problem). And if you do retrofit a LED specific dimmer, LEDs and regular bulbs dim at different rates, so plan on using either one type or the other for ALL gauge illumination bulbs.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: LED replacement bulbs for Bay Window Transporters Reply with quote

BryanDC wrote:
Wonder why they did that. Knowing VW there was an excellent reason.

There was a time in this world when one could drive for hours at night and seldom see an oncoming car and having dim dash lights helped with maintaining good night vision. Today many states have so many reflectors along their roads that you can't maintain good night vision no matter what, so people are less apt to care about a bright high beam indicator light or other dash light shining in the eyes.
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: LED replacement bulbs for Bay Window Transporters Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:
BryanDC wrote:
I’m particularly interested in replacing the high beam warning light with an LED because when it’s on at full blast it is barely visible.

Apparently, that's by design. If you disassemble the light cluster, you'll find a black mask with a small hole in it blocking the HB indicator. Remove that, and it's just as bright as the other indicators.

I think I mentioned several years ago, the black mask with small square aperture for the headlamp main-beam tell-tale warning lamp, which I removed back in the early 1990s.

This will be superceded by one of the warning lights in my Lucas 60 mm diameter, 8-segment warning-light cluster.

Nigel A. Skeet

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: