Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

LED replacement bulbs for Bay Window Transporters
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: LED replacement bulbs for Bay Window Transporters Reply with quote

I used Katur "1034" for front directional\running lights.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XD7QJM9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Katur 1034 in back for stop\tail, Alopee 1073 for directionals

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075QZY9QC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M4OADLZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And no name 7" 200w from Ebay for headlights

Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
VWSunny72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: LED replacement bulbs for Bay Window Transporters Reply with quote

https://vintagecarleds.com/shop/7-inch/vc3500-classic-kit/

These headlights were one of the easiest and bestest upgrades i've done on my bus. I installed them ~ 5 years ago and required no changes to relays or anything...plug n play. They look stock during the daytime and work very well to see where i'm going during the night time. Full low-beam/high-beam action.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vw donvieira
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: LED replacement bulbs for Bay Window Transporters Reply with quote

I just upgraded to LED cluster, except for alternator, on my 1971.
- My turn signals are all crazy now.
-Seems like I am forgetting something.
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: LED replacement bulbs for Bay Window Transporters Reply with quote

That's because the stock flasher is load sensitive, by design. If a stock front or rear turn signal bulb fails, the flasher is supposed to flash faster, so that you know a bulb is bad. LED bulbs pull so little current that the flasher goes nuts.

Solution: replace the flasher with a load-insensitive LED rated unit, or add suitable load resistors to restore the current draw to "normal".
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vw donvieira
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: LED replacement bulbs for Bay Window Transporters Reply with quote

Awesome. Thank you.

-I do have regular bulbs at the frt/rear turn signals.

-Will the new flasher cause any problem with LED cluster bulb and regular turn signal bulbs?
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: LED replacement bulbs for Bay Window Transporters Reply with quote

vw donvieira wrote:
Awesome. Thank you.

-I do have regular bulbs at the frt/rear turn signals.

-Will the new flasher cause any problem with LED cluster bulb and regular turn signal bulbs?

You need reverse polarity bulbs for the turn signal cluster. They are powered from the fuse block and ground is switched at the relay from the looks of the wiring diagram.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: LED replacement bulbs for Bay Window Transporters Reply with quote

vw donvieira wrote:
I do have regular bulbs at the frt/rear turn signals. Will the new flasher cause any problem with LED cluster bulb and regular turn signal bulbs?

You only need the LED flasher if the turn lamps are LED. If all you're changing is the dash indicators, then the stock flasher will work fine. As mentioned above, the indicator lamps must be either reverse polarity or polarity insensitive.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: LED replacement bulbs for Bay Window Transporters Reply with quote

I used LEDs for the instrument illumination lights (ordered through SuperBrightLEDs.com). First tried white ones, then went with red. "Red light in the wheelhouse" inspired. The red was nice, but too dim, as it turned out.

I have since reverted to all original bulbs in the instrument panel. It turns out that they are not too bright, and not too dim. Just right, and they respond to dimming properly, unlike the LEDs.

If anyone wants some dashboard illumination LEDs in various colors, you can have mine for the shipping.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: LED replacement bulbs for Bay Window Transporters Reply with quote

I like LEDs on the outside of the car, and for the otherwise dim interior (courtesy) light. I have them on the dash lights for the oil and gen, so they come on fast and bright when there is trouble.

Be careful using the dual-filament (tail/brake) combo LEDs in back. Many have the taillight TOO bright, so the effect of braking is not very noticeable. You want a very big difference between brake and tail brightness for safety.
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: LED replacement bulbs for Bay Window Transporters Reply with quote

There is a greenish dome over the instrument lights inside the instrument cluster that may block the red LED light. It can be removed with a little work.
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: LED replacement bulbs for Bay Window Transporters Reply with quote

http://auto-hub.com/

LED bulbs for Porsche and VW instrument and interior lighting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: LED replacement bulbs for Bay Window Transporters Reply with quote

For the indicators dash bulb, you need a bulb which lights up both ways round , for when the hazard switch is pulled out with the ignition on ...

Dismantling basic 0.2" LED dash indicator

New parts

Soldered together

End result

The 3528 size LEDs were recycled from another project - but are pennies each, so are the little MB6S bridge rectifiers if you buy them in lots of 50.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
creative native Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: LED replacement bulbs for Bay Window Transporters Reply with quote

ToolBox wrote:

ToolBox, have you bought LEDs from them before and if so, are you happy with the product?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: LED replacement bulbs for Bay Window Transporters Reply with quote

I did replace the incandescent bulbs with LEDs in my camper light. I can see tomorrow, that is how bright they are. I also put an LED in my overhead dome light. It is quite bright. I bought these LEDs from www.superbrightleds.com.

Last edited by creative native on Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:43 am; edited 1 time in total
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: LED replacement bulbs for Bay Window Transporters Reply with quote

One thing to remember is that you should try to purchase exterior LED bulbs specified for operation over e.g. 6v to 24v . Because this means they will have a proper voltage regulator built in to the system. Often the headlamp regulator is a separate module in the wiring.

They are usually more expensive than the basic LED bulbs.

Cheap LED lamps have stacks of 3 LED chips in series with a dropper resistor. They will be specified for 12 volts only.
These have the characteristic that if the supply voltage drops to 10 volts the current through the LEDs drops to about 1/3 of that at 12 volts.
So any supply ripple, brake light voltage drop and the LED headlamps will dim badly.
Going the other way, at 15 volts the current through the LEDs will double and the heat produced by the resistor goes up by a factor of 4.. resulting in melted solder, smoke and short lived LEDs.
This is because the stack of three LEDs drops about 9 volts, fairly constant once the LEDs light up, the remainder of the (supply volts - 9 volts) is dropped by the resistor which heats up.

On eBay / Amazon comparing prices is a good guide. For indicator and tail light bulbs the better 6-24v regulator can be built in ; on one of mine the regulator module is 1/4" square.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: LED replacement bulbs for Bay Window Transporters Reply with quote

mikedjames wrote:
Cheap LED lamps have stacks of 3 LED chips in series with a dropper resistor. They will be specified for 12 volts only.
These have the characteristic that if the supply voltage drops to 10 volts the current through the LEDs drops to about 1/3 of that at 12 volts.
So any supply ripple, brake light voltage drop and the LED headlamps will dim badly.
Going the other way, at 15 volts the current through the LEDs will double and the heat produced by the resistor goes up by a factor of 4.. resulting in melted solder, smoke and short lived LEDs.
This is because the stack of three LEDs drops about 9 volts, fairly constant once the LEDs light up, the remainder of the (supply volts - 9 volts) is dropped by the resistor which heats up.

FWIW: This technote popped up on another forum showing an easy, efficient way to drive LEDS from an unstable power source. Food for thought...
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: LED replacement bulbs for Bay Window Transporters Reply with quote

creative native wrote:
ToolBox wrote:

ToolBox, have you bought LEDs from them before and if so, are you happy with the product?

An unfortunate follow up:

I took a chance on auto-hub.com (aka Starbrite) since the company caters to Volkswagen people. I placed an order for instrument cluster LEDs on June 7th. Because mail moves so slowly these days, I have been patient for my order to arrive, which it never has (as of June 23). My emails have not been responded to and phone calls go directly to voicemail, of which none of my calls have been returned. So I felt it was necessary to open a dispute with PayPal. PayPal forwarded my complaint to them and still they have not responded. I use the pronoun "they," but I really believe this is a single man operation. Now I will have to wait until mid-July before PayPal will issue me a refund. Nowhere on their site do they announce that they would be closed for the month of June (or otherwise on vacation). Let this serve as a warning for anyone considering buying from this business.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: LED replacement bulbs for Bay Window Transporters Reply with quote

The final follow-up:

PayPal attempted to contact www.auto-hub.com a.k.a. StarBrite and apparently the vendor never responded to PayPal either, so PayPal refunded my $43.25 today.

As I said before, I believe this is a one man operation and something must have happened to this man. This is sad and unfortunate, but I say this business should be eliminated from anybody's future consideration.

I have had great luck with www.superbrightleds.com over the past few years. I just wanted to support this StarBrite business since he catered to Volkswagens.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: