Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New steering rack bushings... OMG, awesome!
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
4mymalamute
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:43 pm    Post subject: New steering rack bushings... OMG, awesome! Reply with quote

So I ordered up some Powerflex steering bushings just because I figured why not, originals in there I am sure..Well, I have to say, such a HUGE improvement. Makes Sally the Syncro feel a bit more solid while driving down the road. I would say to anyone that has been thinking of doing it, do it. An hour job if that (I was taking my time) and under 60 bucks total.

1969 Bucky the Bug Convertible...red, rusted, work in progress....LOTS of work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: New steering rack bushings....OMG awesome! Reply with quote

cool beans, ya!

An hour?

huh.. I was on my back with my legs up in the rack and then toes push-pulling the front of the tire for at least 2 hours AFTER I got the bolts off! Took an hour just to figure out how to use the right combination of tools to get the old nuts freed up. AND, that was with the help of an air hammer!!! I did get a wrench stuck at one point which took so much time just to figure out how to NOT use a cutting wheel to resolve. Glad I was patient.

I really need to realize that I need to multiply these project time frames by a factor of 3 or 4, I'm just floored when I get done. (probably my health history .. there ARE worse things than dying)

BUT, I do agree, the PS bushings made a huge performance gain, no doubt!!

Smile

-bobby
Marshj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: New steering rack bushings....OMG awesome! Reply with quote

Agreed. Single greatest improvement made to my van.

It was uncomfortable and unsafe above 63 mph before. Drove 73 today for a minute.
erikgundy98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: New steering rack bushings....OMG awesome! Reply with quote

Is this the one? https://www.powerflexusa.com/shop/product/pff85-10...FkQAvD_BwE

If so I’ll order it right up. Need to do this
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: New steering rack bushings....OMG awesome! Reply with quote

erikgundy98 wrote:
Is this the one? https://www.powerflexusa.com/shop/product/pff85-10...FkQAvD_BwE

T3technique stocks powerflex and whiteline steering rack bushings
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: New steering rack bushings....OMG awesome! Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=438134
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: New steering rack bushings....OMG awesome! Reply with quote

erikgundy98 wrote:

You might want to support Chris as he's one of our own!

http://t3technique.com/suspension-bushings/powerflex-suspension-bushings/
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: New steering rack bushings....OMG awesome! Reply with quote

yeah, I replaced the stock ones on my Manual Str. Rack and replaced the rubber coupler right in front of the rack at the same time. Def. improved the steering.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
erikgundy98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: New steering rack bushings....OMG awesome! Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:
erikgundy98 wrote:

You might want to support Chris as he's one of our own!

http://t3technique.com/suspension-bushings/powerflex-suspension-bushings/

For sure! I just googled the Powerflex and that was the first hit I got.

I didn’t know if the OP was referring to Chris’s or not. I will definitely order from T3
T3messie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: New steering rack bushings....OMG awesome! Reply with quote

From T3technique website:
"The stock rubber steering rack bushings allow the steering rack to move on the chassis during steering input and from road forces that are transmitted through the tires to the steering system."

The stock bushings are spared on the sides so the rack can move and these forces are not transmitted to my arms.
I like that. My T3 are not for racing.
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: New steering rack bushings....OMG awesome! Reply with quote

the poly bushings give MUCH less feedback to my arms compared to probably original equipment stock. Much much less. Maybe new stock would be different, but as I posted in a similar thread some weeks ago, this is a great and easy upgrade.
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: New steering rack bushings....OMG awesome! Reply with quote

Is there a possibility of over tightening the bushings when installing? Since they have a metal sleeve, they can only get so tight... I think I read 18ft lbs is the number, but I just went to good-n-tight which I assume is more than a measly 18 ft pounds.
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: New steering rack bushings....OMG awesome! Reply with quote

I did the torque setting whatever that was in Bentley- I'd say yes, overtightening is a possibility.
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: New steering rack bushings....OMG awesome! Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:
I did the torque setting whatever that was in Bentley- I'd say yes, overtightening is a possibility.

Cool, thanks MtnBikeMike - I'll back off the torque to the bentley...

FYI -
Don't forget your history,
Know your destiny

You got the horse race
You got the dog race
You got the human-race
But this is a rat race!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: