Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1976 Beetle FI STD - 1st of many questions
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrCleanHead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1976 Beetle FI STD - 1st of many questions Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Very nice! I wish my paint looked as good as yours. My two tone gold just dont cut it for me. But it has grown on me.
MrCleanHead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1976 Beetle FI STD - 1st of many questions Reply with quote

OK, so I have my car up on the lift for the last week or so and finally can get back to working on it. So Since I have acsess to the valves I figure I would adjust them. I found TDC since my pully has the dimple on the outside and a notch to the left on the inside (5ATDC). Double checked that this was correct and double checked again and only had adjust a couple .001 or so (they were at .007).

So that went well but when I removed the cap on the distributor to verify I was pointing at number one the whole distributor moved (turned).

I dont remember how much or what direction but it did move, just not much. I read the 100 pages or so on how to time the car but Im more confused than before , but a little smarter though.

This is the distrubutor I have:

Beetle 1975-1979 * 1600 FI Manual Trans
Distributor: VW 043-905-205H, Bosch 0231 176 044
Can Use:
Condensor: 02 074
Rotor: 04 033
Dust Cover: 039-905-241, Bosch 1230 500 139 > 1230 500 147
Cap: 03 010
Distributor Cap Clip: 034-905-265, Bosch 1231 251 033
Parts Kit (Shims, Washers & Hardware): 059-998-211, Bosch 1237 010 007
Coil: 00 012
Vacuum Can: 07 114
Ignition Wires: 09 001
Spark Plug: W8AC
Timing Set At:: 5deg ATDC @ 800-950rpm w/strobe, vacuum hose(s) connected.
Advance/Retard Range: Vacuum: 5-8deg Adv, 11-13deg Ret; Centrifugal: 6-12deg @ 1500rpm, 20-23deg @ 3500rpm

Here is where I get lost. I dont have a timing light but Im sure I can find one from a friend. But still dont know how to use it. I watched lots of youtube videos and have an idea. I do have a regular prob light.
Do I need to set the static (idle) first? at 5ATDC? How do I do that?
Also I can only turn the distributor so far and then it hits the EGR Tube. It real close to it now, maybe .020 away.

Since it didnt move much I did start it and it seems fine, but I would like it to be right.

Again, thanks for the help.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1976 Beetle FI STD - 1st of many questions Reply with quote

MrCleanHead wrote:
Since it didnt move much I did start it and it seems fine, but I would like it to be right..

Good, because it has to be right, a little off one way or the other can be a big problem.
To start with check your points gap and lube the cam the points ride on in there with a little dab of grease, also put a couple drops of light oil down the middle of the shaft where the rotor goes so that felt pad down there is wet. If you can get your hands on a dwell meter even better, setting used points with a feeler gauge doesn't always give the best results. It's important to set the points first since a change in gap changes the timing too.
Your local auto parts store likely has a timing light you can rent or borrow, Craigslist usually has lots as well for cheap. That distributor doesn't respond well to static timing, but in a pinch to get it running time it to 7.5* BTDC static since those other retard numbers only happen when the engine is running.
Read through the procedure below and see if it makes any sense to you:

busdaddy wrote:

(pay attention to the parts that are for type 1 to time a beetle)
Here's the sermon Very Happy
First you need to determine exactly where TDC is on your pulley and then set the timing at speed like this: Here's my timing for noobs rundown (keep in mind this assumes you have a degree wheel, timing scale or dial advance timing light and know where TDC really is, if you don't understand the marks on your type 1 pulley read this: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=251672&highlight=stock+pulley+marks ). Or if type 4 see this: http://www.ratwell.com/technical/FindTimingMark.html

If you only have one hose attached to your distributor pull it off, you don't need to cap it (no need on single hose systems), if you have 2 pull them both off but plug the one that was connected to the nipple facing the distributor (retard {not you, that's what the hose does}). Now connect the timing light to the battery and the #1 plug wire according to the timing light instructions (and set it to zero if it's the type with adjustments). Now start the engine and shoot the timing light at the scale and pulley (hold the light in your right hand), see the mark on the pulley?, good. Now using your left hand slowly open the throttle on the side of the carb or throttle body (move it the same way the cable pulls it) and watch the timing mark VS: the scale, the mark on the pulley should start to move to the left, open the throttle a little more and continue until the mark no longer moves to the left any more (yes it's loud, isn't it?), give it a bit more throttle just to confirm the mark is staying put at wherever it stopped (hopefully 28 degrees) and then release the throttle. If it stopped at 28 move on to carb/FI adjustment, if it went past or didn't make it all the way loosen the distributor clamp a little and turn the distributor a few degrees one way or the other (you pick, if it's worse go the other way), repeat until you find the happy spot and don't forget to tighten the clamp when you are done (make sure the distributor is pushed down all the way into the case too). Avoid loose fitting clothing and long hair near spinning fans and belts too, no need for a trip to emergency. Now put the hose back on, pack up the timing light and move on to carb or FI adjustment.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1976 Beetle FI STD - 1st of many questions Reply with quote

If you can start the engine, don't worry about static timing. Static timing is only used to get the engine running. Once running you NEED to set timing using a strobe timing light.
    Start the engine and get it warmed up so it can idle in the normal range (800-950rpm for manual trans).
    With both hoses connected to your DVDA distributor set timing at idle rpm to 5ATDC (the notch CCW from TDC) using a strobe timing light. Rotate the distributor body until the 5ATDC notch lines up with the case split.

IMPORTANT CHECK = While you have the timing light connected and can see the 5ATDC mark lined up with the case split, disconnect the vacuum retard hose (connected to the nipple closest to the distributor cap) at the distributor end and plug the open end of the hose with your finger to prevent a vacuum leak. You should see the timing mark jump so the case split is now on the other side of TDC (somewhere around 3-7BTDC). This confirms the vacuum retard system is working as designed.
    If this does not result in the timing mark moving... it means your vacuum retard is broken! If the vacuum retard is broke then 5ATDC is the WRONG timing for your engine. The 5ATDC timing at idle is based on the vacuum retard removing 8-12deg of timing advance while at idle. Without the vacuum retard connected the idle timing would be somewhere in the 3-7BTDC range. This problem is not that unusual since these distributors are well over 40yrs old.
    Until you can source a new distributor, set your idle timing to 7BTDC with both hoses disconnected and plugged.

TEST YOUR VACUUM ADVANCE = connect a hose between the vacuum advance port on the distributor and the vacuum retard port on the carb (this port has strong vacuum at idle). This should cause your timing to jump 8-12deg. This shows that your vacuum advance is working. Reconnect the vacuum advance hose to the left side of the carb.

'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
MrCleanHead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1976 Beetle FI STD - 1st of many questions Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:
If you can start the engine, don't worry about static timing. Static timing is only used to get the engine running. Once running you NEED to set timing using a strobe timing light.
    Start the engine and get it warmed up so it can idle in the normal range (800-950rpm for manual trans).
    With both hoses connected to your DVDA distributor set timing at idle rpm to 5ATDC (the notch CCW from TDC) using a strobe timing light. Rotate the distributor body until the 5ATDC notch lines up with the case split.

IMPORTANT CHECK = While you have the timing light connected and can see the 5ATDC mark lined up with the case split, disconnect the vacuum retard hose (connected to the nipple closest to the distributor cap) at the distributor end and plug the open end of the hose with your finger to prevent a vacuum leak. You should see the timing mark jump so the case split is now on the other side of TDC (somewhere around 3-7BTDC). This confirms the vacuum retard system is working as designed.
    If this does not result in the timing mark moving... it means your vacuum retard is broken! If the vacuum retard is broke then 5ATDC is the WRONG timing for your engine. The 5ATDC timing at idle is based on the vacuum retard removing 8-12deg of timing advance while at idle. Without the vacuum retard connected the idle timing would be somewhere in the 3-7BTDC range. This problem is not that unusual since these distributors are well over 40yrs old.
    Until you can source a new distributor, set your idle timing to 7BTDC with both hoses disconnected and plugged.

TEST YOUR VACUUM ADVANCE = connect a hose between the vacuum advance port on the distributor and the vacuum retard port on the carb (this port has strong vacuum at idle). This should cause your timing to jump 8-12deg. This shows that your vacuum advance is working. Reconnect the vacuum advance hose to the left side of the carb.

PERFECT! I got myself a timing light and followed the instructions from the above and busdaddy and everything is working as designed. I dont have the timing marks to the right but it visually looks correct. I will measure them out and mark them and recheck next. I didnt dig into the distributor but I did add a little oil to the felt pad. Car runs good. Ill drive it till the snow flies and the salt is down. Come on spring!

Thanks to all for helping me on this, Im sure there will more questions as time goes on but I feel like Im in a good spot with this car (probably got lucky). I almost want to get another one Smile and another one Smile and a bus or two Smile
Gr0unded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1976 Beetle FI STD - 1st of many questions Reply with quote

MrCleanHead wrote:

PERFECT! I got myself a timing light and followed the instructions from the above and busdaddy and everything is working as designed. I dont have the timing marks to the right but it visually looks correct. I will measure them out and mark them and recheck next. I didnt dig into the distributor but I did add a little oil to the felt pad. Car runs good. Ill drive it till the snow flies and the salt is down. Come on spring!

Thanks to all for helping me on this, Im sure there will more questions as time goes on but I feel like Im in a good spot with this car (probably got lucky). I almost want to get another one Smile and another one Smile and a bus or two Smile

It's wonderful to see the great progress you've made. Springtime is here and pollen is flying, hope the beetle is still running well. It's my turn to fix some issues my '76.

Stop Dead Photo Links! Post your VW photos to the Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MrCleanHead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1976 Beetle FI STD - 1st of many questions Reply with quote

Yep, its spring time. The car has been running good. I take it out to do shorts runs anytime I get a chance. Its amazing that the attention it gets. Everyone stops to talk about it.
PuddleRainbow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1976 Beetle FI STD - 1st of many questions Reply with quote

Nice Car! I have a "Topaz" '76 as well.

Did you time out to 20 deg (noted above) or 28 deg (like normal SVDA) at 3500 RPM?

Thanks

Jeff
61 BUS Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1976 Beetle FI STD - 1st of many questions Reply with quote

Nice car. My first new car was a '76 Topaz Metallic beetle. I've owned a total of three 76's with my current one being the metallic green version. It's presently carbureted but I have two complete sets of fuel injection parts that I intend to use to return the car to F.I. when I get the time. Keep yours fuel injected.
MrCleanHead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1976 Beetle FI STD - 1st of many questions Reply with quote

[quote="PuddleRainbow"]Nice Car! I have a "Topaz" '76 as well.

Did you time out to 20 deg (noted above) or 28 deg (like normal SVDA) at 3500 RPM?

---------------

To be honest I dont remember, but I just followed the manual and the car was running great.

I have been driving it every chance I get until my 80 year old father backed into it and crushed the rear end. Im still sick over it.

Its repairable but I will need some parts, I think like the rear deck lid needs to be replaced. I dont think I can pound it out straight enough.

So if anyone in and or around Ohio has a replacement deck lid, rear apron or just a solid parts car that will work, hit me up. I really miss driving this car.
PuddleRainbow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1976 Beetle FI STD - 1st of many questions Reply with quote

Thanks and bummer. I bet a good shop could beat the fenders, lid, and apron back into shape.

If you do end up getting a deck lid and doing it yourself, I repainted my lid, fenders and top with rattle can L99D from PaintScratch https://www.paintscratch.com/cgi-bin/select-color.cgi and it looks good.

Someone with more skill and patience would make it look like new. Only tip is to keep a rag in off had to wipe the can nozzle every other pass or so as the lip will collect drips.

Also, I compressed one of the bumper mounts and was able to stretch it back out. If mounts not other wise damage, you may be able to re use them.

Jeff
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1976 Beetle FI STD - 1st of many questions Reply with quote

Oh damn, that sucks, looks like Dad is getting some payback for all the grief you caused him as a teenager.

That looks very repairable, the right body man could fix that without any new parts. Did anything get damaged on the engine?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
MrCleanHead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1976 Beetle FI STD - 1st of many questions Reply with quote

It still runs and I dont think anything happened to the engine. But I only drove it back into the shop and haven't touched it since. Out of sight out of mind, right....The apron is against the muffler when there was about a 1-2" space there. Im affraid since I had rot where the bumper was mounted that I will have a hard time pounding anything back because there is no metal there, basically no structure.

PS: I was a good kid and never got in trouble with my parents....or should I say I never got caught Smile
Gr0unded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1976 Beetle FI STD - 1st of many questions Reply with quote

MrCleanHead wrote:
It still runs and I dont think anything happened to the engine. But I only drove it back into the shop and haven't touched it since. Out of sight out of mind, right....The apron is against the muffler when there was about a 1-2" space there. Im affraid since I had rot where the bumper was mounted that I will have a hard time pounding anything back because there is no metal there, basically no structure.

PS: I was a good kid and never got in trouble with my parents....or should I say I never got caught Smile

Man, what a shame. My blood would be boiling. But looking at the bright side no humans were hurt in that event. Sounds like the collective experience says the metal it's fixable, which is another good sign!

I imagine your bumper was mangled a good bit as well?

Stop Dead Photo Links! Post your VW photos to the Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: