Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ghia speedometer/odometer interchage parts with beetle?
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:29 pm    Post subject: Ghia speedometer/odometer interchage parts with beetle? Reply with quote

Have a 69 Ghia coming in tomorrow with a non-functioning odometer. I looked up some of the threads with some fixes, but just in case something is broken, are any of the parts interchangable with beetle speedos? Have several in the "parts" tub.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia speedometer/odometer interchage parts with beetle? Reply with quote

Aside from the Beetle having a fuel gauge in the speedometer, I don't see why not.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia speedometer/odometer interchage parts with beetle? Reply with quote

Both type I chassis,
Both drive off the LF wheel,
Can't see that there would be gearing differences.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:29 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia speedometer/odometer interchage parts with beetle? Reply with quote

I have a spare metric speedo from a beetle made by SWF that looks identical to the VDO. I’d say a VDO from a beetle would be mechanically compatible
Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia speedometer/odometer interchage parts with beetle? Reply with quote

OK - will probably find out this weekend. The car showed up at the shop today and I want to try to just get this done quick. Thanks all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia speedometer/odometer interchage parts with beetle? Reply with quote

I was wrong! The clusters are very much different, at least in a ‘70. The Ghia cluster installs from the interior side, the Beetle from the trunk side. The mounting is different and so is the angle of the speedometer drive.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia speedometer/odometer interchage parts with beetle? Reply with quote

Fixed it - was interesting...The shaft that runs through the odometer was slid out away from the worm gear. Pushed it back in and it felt like it snapped in place. BUT if it came out before, it could again. Should have taken pics, but made a little retainer strap to keep a slight pressure against the gear at the end of the odometer shaft and used some silicone paste to lubricate it.

Biggest problems (as usual) were getting the trim ring off, attempting to remove the speedo needle so I could set the odometer barrels so they lined up right (no luck on needle, so used dental pic to manipulate them) and getting all the inidcator lights to work properly (forgot to take the dremel and wire wheel to the sockets)

All good.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: