Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Propex propane tanks
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TopBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:32 pm    Post subject: Propex propane tanks Reply with quote

I am thinking about a heater. I have a tintop syncro converted to a camper, I do not have a propane tank. Is it possible to have a propex with a removable propane tank like https://www.acehardware.com/departments/outdoor-li...gK7YfD_BwE
I have one of these already and just don't really want to mount a tank underneath. I will have to buy the tank and loose ground clearance. Thanks
If anyone has a set up like this please share a photo or two. Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncromike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: propex propane tanks Reply with quote

You can run in to insurance/liability/resale value issues permanently mounting a large propane tank inside your van. A lot of people are pretty passionate that it's quite unsafe as well.
I didn't want to put a tank on the inside permanently but when I camp I take out the jump seats and I have a "camper module" that I mount temporarily behind my drivers seat that has sink, gray water, 1 burner stove, Olympia Wave 6 catalytic header, and 10# propane tank.

Works well for me, the heater doesn't draw any battery power and does a decent job heating up the cabin. I don't sleep with the heat on.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
TopBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:58 am    Post subject: Re: propex propane tanks Reply with quote

I wasnt thinking of permanently mounting the propane. thanks for the modular idea
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:25 am    Post subject: Re: propex propane tanks Reply with quote

I would go with one of the Webasto gas fired units since you have no propane tank.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: Propex propane tanks Reply with quote

If you look at ANY commercially made camper/motorhome/trailer you will not find a propane tank inside the unit. If you do, it is well vented to the outside.

Why?
Propane and propane tanks can be dangerous.

That being said, how often do you hear about tank problems and people dying?
Nope, not very often at all, and if you do, it is often a house fire with the tank in the garage or close to the house.

Gasoline is way more dangerous with loose vapors and poor refueling habits by the public while doing so.

In light of this, many are willing to assume the risk of keeping a 20lb tank in their vehicle (yours is only 5lbs)

Once you assume that risk make sure it is secured somehow. You don't want a steel cylinder whacking you in the head if an accident happens!

The suggestion of the cabinet is a great idea.
Best solution is to buy the proper tank and mount it properly, but I understand your thinking about that.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Honuak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Propex propane tanks Reply with quote

FWIW I had a tough time getting my (two different) propex heaters to work below ~15 deg F. I changed/cleaned tanks, regulators and lines. The propane doesn't want to flow well at cold temps. I suspect that the small orifices in a propex make them sensitive. After years of frustration I bought an Espar gas (BL1), took the propane tank off the van (use 1 lb spin on bottles for the cooktop, fridge is DC) and haven't looked back. Also, according to a smarty-pants friend propane is a "wet" heat leading to more condensation. I now have single fuel and the performance of the espar is impressive. If you want to have a removable system there are portable kits made from diesel fired espar copies available cheap on ebay etc, they even come with a little diesel tank. The design is tried and true having been made for many decades with some variation of it in every long-haul semi on the road. Personally I would not rely on propane for real cold temp camping (one of the coldest nights I've spent was a December in Flagg).
I'm sure this post will fire up (pun intended) the propex faithful. Apologies. Just my experience shared.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
TopBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex propane tanks Reply with quote

Thanks for all the responses. I once saw a vanagon with a propane tank on the rear swing out. That would be my most ideal situation. I live in Flagstaff Az which is 7000' and often camp higher than that. I just saw a thread on the FB about the Webasto heaters, and they have issues above 5000'.
Honuak- does your espar BL1 work at higher elevations? We are hoping the syncro will become our ski "chalet." If I do the propex, it is expensive especially with the propane tank. I am leaning more towards a one fuel set up, (Espar gas or Webasto) but I have heard of issues in higher altitudes. I know there are lots of threads of this. I have been reading them all for years. I already have a small propane tank and would love to mount a propane tank outside on a swing out- If I go propex. these guys have a propane set up like I was thinking but without the propex
https://slowcarfasthouse.com/2015/03/10/things-are-heating-up-in-here/
Winter is approaching and just want to use the syncro. I finally just finished up a bostig conversion for reliability
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: Propex propane tanks Reply with quote

Propex issues related to temperature are either a) contaminated propane (moisture) b) defective or improperly set regulator, or c) airflow sensor issues on pre-2010 models. I've plenty of customers who use them at subzero temps and altitude up to 11,000'. Honuak, perhaps yours was a relatively old one from pre-2010? There were failures of airflow sensing fans then, which have since been replaced by solid state sensors with no moving parts. I've seen the gamut of installer errors too in the 16 years of being the US distributor.
Using a disposable Chinese clone of a reputable heater, one with no warranty or parts / service option, plus crapshoot of cheap sensors, I guess there are those out there who want such cheap stuff...however Espar and Webasto cost has come way down as they're now made in countries with cheaper labor, at least you get a long lasting product with manufacturer support.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Honuak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Propex propane tanks Reply with quote

My propex heaters were indeed older models, and although I did calibrate and replace regulators there could have been issues there. Hard to say about the quality of the propane. Living in Anchorage Alaska I've not tried to use my heaters above ~1500' so I cant speak to the higher altitude performance issues. I can say that the area around Flagstaff is wonderful (we go about once a year-wife's family is there) and I hope you get your chalet dialed in.
dgbeatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Propex propane tanks Reply with quote

Personally I don't like propane tanks inside.
BUT in Europe and England it is common practice. The Mercedes Marco Polo has two smaller tanks inside. It is rare in Germany that you see a van older than ten years that still has the external tank. There is an expensive and intensive recertification required every ten years.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: