Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone enter their VW in car shows?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:45 am    Post subject: Anyone enter their VW in car shows? Reply with quote

At the beginning of August, of this year, I have started entering my 63 beetle in to local car shows. The shows I attend are open to all years/makes/and models.

At the majority of the shows, there are a number of cars that have a really nice sign display that will have info about the car, down to every detail. Some are very simple, and some are very elaborate and you can tell, a lot of time/money was put in to it.

I got to thinking about doing something similar, but not so much about my car, but rather the year. Maybe a list of things that happened in 1963, fun tid-bits, trivia, etc. Not that it would add anything to my car, but gives the spectators a brief mental walk through history. Although I am still tinkering around with the idea, how much info, and how large the display should be is an important part of it.

Does anyone here have a car show display that you set out every time you go to a car show? Would you post any pictures of your set up, or possibly any pictures of ones that you have seen and possibly taken a picture of? Fun to see what others have done, and see how creative you all are.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone enter their VW in car shows? Reply with quote

depends on your level of show

a lot of times your display counts for up to 1/3 of your points (depending on the show)

if you are competing for awards I say go for it. otherwise do you want to haul the stuff around with you?

I use to show like that...full sign, roll out a carpet, remove a wheel, use mirrors etc. kind of zapped the fun out of it for me as you pretty much had to stay handcuffed to the car.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone enter their VW in car shows? Reply with quote

ya, the shows I attend (so far) have not been that elaborate. Granted, there are random car enthusiasts that have, but it's rare. More times than not though, I do see the signs. Which gave me the idea.

I certainly don't want to haul around much at all, just giving people something to read. As of right now, my car does the talking Laughing . Tons of attention, and stories from spectators comes along with it.
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone enter their VW in car shows? Reply with quote

I have a display I constructed with some left over junk VW parts.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Depending on what type of show I'm at I can change the info on the plaques.

A real plus is the weight. It won't blow over in a breeze!
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone enter their VW in car shows? Reply with quote

do you find a lot of spectators pay attention to the display?
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone enter their VW in car shows? Reply with quote

crankbait09 wrote:

Hard to say.
I don't spend much time with my car as I'm off gawking at all the others.
The info is there for those who care to know.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone enter their VW in car shows? Reply with quote

kingkarmann wrote:
crankbait09 wrote:

Hard to say.
I don't spend much time with my car as I'm off gawking at all the others.
The info is there for those who care to know.

It sort of depends on what is there but I usually look at and read that sort of stuff if I'm interested in the car.

I'd say I'm more interested if it is original paperwork or dealer stuff like manuals/booklets/receipts/etc.

Sometimes people have photo albums of their restos, I've looked through those before too.

Your stand is pretty cool, better than the normal large standing sign.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone enter their VW in car shows? Reply with quote

I love period literature too!
I have a collection of vintage VW ads that I rotate depending on what type of show I'm at.

Recently I was invited to display the Ghia at event that highlights mostly exotics. Lambo's, McClaren a couple of Porsche 918 Hybrids. I displayed this

The attendees who took notice loved it!

If I'm at a VW show I tend to keep the engine build info on display. I think VW people are interested in that sort of stuff Cool
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone enter their VW in car shows? Reply with quote

I bought my 65 111 "A" Sedan 1200 Custom 1968. I started showing the car when Vintage Volkswagen Club of America became a club. Because my car was so different from a U.S. export 1965 113 I needed to provide some information so that people wouldn't say I modified the car, and also to VVWCA judges would know this was a different model and a subset of the 111 1200"A".
The answer to your question is yes!, a placard showing exactly how the car should look and telling the differences in the mechanicals was essential to judges as well as informative for the average VW enthusiast.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone enter their VW in car shows? Reply with quote

I used to roll into the show didn’t even wash the car and left coffee cup in the holder. My thinking it’s a driver and it has stone chips, rust and normal wear. It’s a real car not some trailer queen. That said I usually don’t win anything but I do have better parking and maybe a few goodies for entering. Im there to have fun not be waxing and making love to it. Here’s my show car.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone enter their VW in car shows? Reply with quote

I didn't do a "display" but I did put a spec sheet in the window. I also had my photo album with pictures of the rebuild, the Birth Certificate and all sorts of literature.

I won Best Engine at the last Norwalk show and was told listing all the drivetrain mods made it stand out from all the chrome and billet engine parts others had.

The spec sheet also let the uninformed to know it was far from stock.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone enter their VW in car shows? Reply with quote

kingkarmann wrote:
I have a display I constructed with some left over junk VW parts.

Depending on what type of show I'm at I can change the info on the plaques.

A real plus is the weight. It won't blow over in a breeze!

Very nice display. Cool

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone enter their VW in car shows? Reply with quote

Depends what you are into. I have a good friend that has a range of vintage cars and he is really big on period correct props. There usually is a build sheet/description in a window or two. Does great and he enjoys it.

We might just bring a little foldup table with some of the build scapbooks and some flyers for my shop.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone enter their VW in car shows? Reply with quote

Awesome display stand...

For just a car show sometimes I go all out:

And other times just with the photo binder:

The toys attract the kids so it brings a few more spectators closer. The photo album I think attracts more adults and it shows the 50 year story...
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone enter their VW in car shows? Reply with quote

YDBD wrote:
Awesome display stand...

And other times just with the photo binder:

The toys attract the kids so it brings a few more spectators closer. The photo album I think attracts more adults and it shows the 50 year story...

Now that's the way to do it! Cool
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone enter their VW in car shows? Reply with quote

kingkarmann wrote:
YDBD wrote:
Awesome display stand...

Now that's the way to do it! Cool

yes 10/10 - but that palm tree must be a pain to cart around! Laughing

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
grandpa red
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone enter their VW in car shows? Reply with quote

Going to my first in Santa Cruz next sat.
Just gonna park it.
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone enter their VW in car shows? Reply with quote

A FIY on Easy Ups. Most shows will not allow them. Last month at a car show I went to some guy had one. All of a sudden ( happens in AZ a lot ) this whirlwind out of nowhere attacks this guys easy up and the registration booth next to it. There were registration forms a 100 feet high and that easy up landed on a buddies 66 Mustang fastback and 86ed the roof and windshield. If a show allows them stay well clear of them.
By the way those cars were parked on grass and the easy up "was" staked to the ground!
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone enter their VW in car shows? Reply with quote

This is a common sense item and I live in a very windy area. If you use that easy and up you either stake all four corners or use sandbags. One enterprising fellow used junk flywheels as anchors. I too have seen these things cause problems. Who was it that said “common sense ain’t so common any more” ?

I went ahead and looked it up and I’ve Bastardized it........ Voltaire
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone enter their VW in car shows? Reply with quote

We have in the past, and continue to show our Thing. It's especially fun when we can get an award, and all the other old people, I am 68, with a fortune tied up in some 70's muscle car don't. Has happened more than once. Tomorrow we are showing at The Steeltown Shakedown a Pittsburgh regular, which has a lot of rat rods. We usually go pimped out in hawaiian shirts and color, basic black does nothing for me, and we get a lot of love for our car.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: