Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Aluminum fuel tank-weld able M18X1.0 bung
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dlearl476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:56 pm    Post subject: Aluminum fuel tank-weld able M18X1.0 bung Reply with quote

Hey all, I finally threw in the towel on my VW fuel tank (rust) and commissioned a local place that makes aluminum boat tanks to build a tank for my Beck Spyder.

I really want to use the OEM spigot/filter, but I've looked all morning for a weld able bung to no avail. Anyone know of a possible source? If I can't find one, I've got two options:

a) AN- fitting (which precludes the filter)

b) Use one of their 3/8 NPT fittings and turn down and thread a 3/8 NPT adapter/extension, which I'd rather not do because it means 1 more connection/possible leak, and it's doubtful the filter would fit inside it.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Aluminum fuel tank-weld able M18X1.0 bung Reply with quote

https://www.google.com/search?q=aluminum+weld+in+b...p;ie=UTF-8

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
dlearl476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Aluminum fuel tank-weld able M18X1.0 bung Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
https://www.google.com/search?q=aluminum+weld+in+b...p;ie=UTF-8

Dale
Yeah. I spent two hours googling today. No male M18X1.0 aluminum bungs that I found, hence the thread.
GS guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: Aluminum fuel tank-weld able M18X1.0 bung Reply with quote

I doubt you'll find the metric thread "weldable" fitting you're looking for to match the OEM tank outlet, especially in aluminum.
If you can find someone with a good lathe you could have one custom machined.
Otherwise, you might have to cut the bung out of your old tank and have it welded to a readily available steel fitting (NPT or AN), then have the compatible fitting (in aluminum) welded to your tank. Yea, one more place to leak, but if you've got to have the original VW style connection...
dlearl476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: Aluminum fuel tank-weld able M18X1.0 bung Reply with quote

Yeah, I think I'm just going to have to accept that it's not going to happen. The tank place uses 3/8" NPT aluminum bungs, so I'll just go from that to a 90° NPT-1/4" barb.

No filter, but I also won't have to deal with rust in an aluminum tank. I have a filter pre-electric pump and a Malossi filter king filter/regulator in the back, so I should be good.

I also thought of getting one of these to measure and see if there's enough material to get it turned down to 17.75 and thread it, but it would probably cost more than it's worth to do that. The 18x1.0 die is $18 by itself.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
GS guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Aluminum fuel tank-weld able M18X1.0 bung Reply with quote

https://www.emachineshop.com/parts/

Maybe worth checking into to get a quote? Male NPT to male 18x1.0 adapter fitting. Brass would be a good durable material to make something like this from. I'd probably start with 1/2NPT to give enough wall thickness to open up the ID to fit the filter screen.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Aluminum fuel tank-weld able M18X1.0 bung Reply with quote

As long as theres a filter between the tank and the pump having a screen is of no real value.

brad
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Aluminum fuel tank-weld able M18X1.0 bung Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
As long as theres a filter between the tank and the pump having a screen is of no real value.

brad

Gotta agree with the man here. The stock pickup screen is a very coarse filter anyway.

Try looking into gas tank petcocks for motorcycle/ATV/UTV tanks. Or even for large lawn mowers.

My '58 bug has a screen with an aluminum ring at the base of it that fits under the aluminum cap that holds the reserve valve in the tank bung. That screen is big enough to cover the short brass reserve intake tube and the longer normal operation tube.

Maybe you could have them install a 3/8" fpt bung in the new tank. Then silver solder a stock tank screen into a brass fitting to screw into the bung and attach a hose to the outside of that. If you cannot solder a screen to the inner diameter of the brass fitting, then you could solder a section of tube into the bore of the brass fitting, then solder a screen onto that.

It seems pretty easy to me.

But then, I still think it's trying to solve a problem that really isn't much of a problem. When I finally took the reserve valve out of my '58 Baja in 2008 to rebuild the valve for the 1st time at well over 800,000 miles, there was virtually nothing on the outside of the screen.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dlearl476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: Aluminum fuel tank-weld able M18X1.0 bung Reply with quote

Yeah, I think it's overkill. With an aluminum tank, I won't have to worry about it anymore.

When I was first looking into it, I found an auto accessory site in the UK that had an AN-8 fitting that include a filter, but I neglected to bookmark it and now I can't find it. I kind of put it out of my mind because, unlike the OEM VW spigot, it would be flush with the bottom of the tank, allowing whatever settles to the bottom if the rank, i.e. water, to get into the fuel line. Which is my main worry about having a flush fitting with the Al tank.
dlearl476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Aluminum fuel tank-weld able M18X1.0 bung Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
slalombuggy wrote:

brad

Try looking into gas tank petcocks for motorcycle/ATV/UTV tanks. Or even for large lawn mowers.

I was just thinking that this morning when I woke up. Did a little search and it turns out Harleys have 3/8"NPT fuel line bungs. It will be perfect. In the "On" position it will do exactly what I want: draw fuel from ~1" from the bottom of the tank. It will have the added bonus of having a reserve (if I can figure out how to make it accessible) and a shut off, if (when) I need to remove the tank to get access to the steering box and the master cylinders.

Proving once again, great minds think alike! Very Happy
Thanks, Richard
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Aluminum fuel tank-weld able M18X1.0 bung Reply with quote

You're welcome!

My '58 has the "knob" of the petcock facing the front firewall. There is a tubular lever that slips over the round "knob" using a cotter pin to transfer rotation to the knob. The lever has a bend about 70°. It's made of tube about 1/2" OD.

The lever or knob on the petcock could be cut down and fitted with a lever like in an early Bug.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: