Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to Install Fuel Tank Nipple?
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vancer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:00 pm    Post subject: How to Install Fuel Tank Nipple? Reply with quote

69 VW Squareback, originally Fuel Injected but converted to carbs. Fuel tank is original. I sealed return line opening.

I purchased an EMPI Fuel Tank Nipple kit. It came with the fuel tube with circular plate which has a flange on the curved end, a filter, a fiber washer, and a 22 mm nut.

I have done this before. Filter inserted in tank opening until crush washer makes contact. Then, fiber washer over straight portion of fuel tube, resting on circular plate, then nut over bent end of tube. Put fuel resistant Teflon tape over threads and tightened nut. It leaked from 22 mm nut.

Logic tells me the fiber washer should go over the flanged end of fuel tube. This would seal between the nut and lower side of circular plate. However, opening of fiber washer does not allow for it to fit over flange.

Anyone with experience with this?
Thanks,
Vancer
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Vancer on Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: How to Install Fuel Tank Nipple? Reply with quote

It goes: sock, bent tube with flange, washer, nut.
Vancer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: How to Install Fuel Tank Nipple? Reply with quote

Thank you for your response. Please see photos above. Washer will not fit over flange.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: How to Install Fuel Tank Nipple? Reply with quote

Vancer wrote:
Thank you for your response. Please see photos above. Washer will not fit over flange.

Keep in mind that most of the sock kits are set up for carbed cars using 1/4 inch hose. Since your car was original FI, it uses a 5/16ths set up. This is why the washer doesn't fit.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Vancer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: How to Install Fuel Tank Nipple? Reply with quote

This kit should fit itself. Also, as an aside, I have had 2 64 Notchbacks myself. Wish I still had at least one (wife wanted it gone).
tonyvitello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: How to Install Fuel Tank Nipple? Reply with quote

Just bought a fuel tank for 76 bus. Have the same issue with the flanged side and washer. Was there ever an answer in this thread ? Thanks
bmas2144
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: How to Install Fuel Tank Nipple? Reply with quote

Same issue! What did you guys end up doing?
seattle_jerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: How to Install Fuel Tank Nipple? Reply with quote

I just had the same issue. From as near as I can tell, the hole in the nut is out of tolerance, or the flare is too big.

I very slightly drilled the nut hole so the flare would fit through the hole.
The hole I drilled is still smaller than the internal diameter of the sealing washer.

Looking at my original nut, it's hole was a lot larger.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: