Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

No crank
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gregburb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:55 am    Post subject: No crank Reply with quote

When trying to start my vanagon for the past year or so there was sometimes a delay of 4-5 seconds from turning key before any cranking would occur. There would be a delay, then crank and start with no problem. This morning when I tried to start, it would not crank at all. I could hear the fuel pump doing its thing, but no crank. What should I check first?
Thanks, Greg
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: No crank Reply with quote

Ignition switch first, I'd then start checking the wiring going to, coming off the starter. Does the starter make an audible click, but no crank or is it dead silent?
gregburb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: No crank Reply with quote

I don't hear anything except the fuel pump.
Greg
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: No crank Reply with quote

I'd check your battery voltage too- it may be producing enough power to cycle the relay for the pump but not enough to turn over the starter.

I should add, I'm just a driveway hack mechanic, not a pro. As always, refer to the Digijet/fant pro training manual for a actual pro guidance.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: No crank Reply with quote

Thick old grease in the solenoid can cause this. It warms up as you hold the key and once the grease is warmed a bit the plunger in the solenoid will break free and move.
gregburb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: No crank Reply with quote

Is it possible to clean the grease?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: No crank Reply with quote

gregburb wrote:
Is it possible to clean the grease?

Yes, with certain style of solenoids it is very easy as they come apart as you remove them, while others you can just use a spray to clean them and then lube them with something like a Superlube working the plunger repeatedly to get the grease where you want it.
Luckyphil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: No crank Reply with quote

I had this exact problem that would come & go over a couple of years. I installed this relay kit after a mate had the same problem diagnosed by his auto electrician and no further issues and as a bonus it protects your ignitian switch which is a known weak point in these vans. I have no commercial interest in this product.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1066289
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: