Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gallaher Lake, WA (Syncro) Anyone up for Sep14-16 2019?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:06 pm    Post subject: Gallaher Lake, WA (Syncro) Anyone up for Sep14-16 2019? Reply with quote

Summer is running out and I'm getting a little worried I did not do enough Syncro camping this year.

Anyone up for a flash mob Syncro trip to Gallaher Head lake?
Google time of 1:19 time from Cle Elum seems ambitious. https://goo.gl/maps/RspX4dQ9UQEQDeFe9

Heres some good pics: https://pnwoverland.blog/2016/07/17/gallagher-head-lake-camping-july-2016/

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's a pic from 2007.

I don't know if the trail is even passable with a Syncro this year (2019).

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb

Last edited by Sodo on Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:45 am; edited 2 times in total
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Gallaher Lake, WA (Syncro) Anyone up for Sep14 2019 ? Reply with quote

Reality update:
I got a little too excited to get out this weekend, and didn't check the weather.
That "0.35 inches" number is the serious number that makes the "50% chance" of rain real.
And it's 5,600 ft elevation.
Cloud cover all day Saturday.
Friday eve could be nice, but not worth the risk of getting trapped in the mtns.

If 0.35" of rain arrives on Sept 7,,,, (average for the area), what might this wash look like?
Pretty sure you'd wanna be on the home side of it BEFORE 0.35 inches of rain. Shocked

But it might NOT get .35" thus
......NEXT weekend (Sept 14) is hopeful and the forecast is pretty clear for now....
......but for Sept14 the fam has already ditched me so I'd be solo......

===== 2009 teaser pics ======

Here's a pic of the mountain blueberries that were plentiful at Gallaher Head lake on Sept 9, 2009.
These are the sweetest, most flavorful wild berries.

Pancakes shall be required.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Gallaher Lake, WA (Syncro) Anyone up for Sep6/7/8 2019 ? Reply with quote

If poaching is allowed, I'd love to come along in my FZJ80 LandCruiser Wagon. That's a place I have wanted to go for years. I could strap a spare Vanagon grille across the front, complain about the power (straight 6, 5300lbs empty), and such!

Anyhow, that's a great looking trip.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Gallaher Lake, WA (Syncro) Anyone up for Sep14-16 2019? Reply with quote

I'd love to do that trip again — especially now that I have tires that can handle it! Blew two tires and bent a rim last time Laughing
Sadly I don't have the time to make it.

Here's some POV of Syncros hitting the trail, with some axle-breaking action on Crankshaft Hill:

Link

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Gallaher Lake, WA (Syncro) Anyone up for Sep14-16 2019? Reply with quote

Crankshaft hill is not enroute to Gallaher, right? I’m pretty sure Crankshaft hill comes about when you’re sitting at camp and someone says “Ok who wants to go bust up some sh*t?”

photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Gallaher Lake, WA (Syncro) Anyone up for Sep14-16 2019? Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Crankshaft hill is not enroute to Gallaher, right? I’m pretty sure Crankshaft hill comes about when you’re sitting at camp and someone says “Ok who wants to go bust up some sh*t?”

Yep, it's on the Hawkins Mountain Mine road above the lake.
Optional side trip if you really want to test your limits! (I'd done enough testing and went as a passenger.)

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Gallaher Lake, WA (Syncro) Anyone up for Sep14-16 2019? Reply with quote

edited

Last edited by bobbyblack on Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:08 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
termuehlen Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Gallaher Lake, WA (Syncro) Anyone up for Sep14-16 2019? Reply with quote

For you BobbyBlack:

flomulgator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Gallaher Lake, WA (Syncro) Anyone up for Sep14-16 2019? Reply with quote

Thanks for the video Dave. I'm considering this, but also don't have A/T tires. I'm on Nokian WRC 215/65/65s, which are a reinforced commercial tire with a 107 rating.

It looks like the tire you were running (and blew 2 of) was maybe the Nokian Entyre? I looked it up and that has a 102 rating and is a standard XL tire. So if my guess (?) of your old tires is right, I *should* have a thicker sidewall and be better off, despite the not-so-aggressive street look. I have aired down the WRC to about 70% plenty of times for rocky roads like the WABDR and they've handled it great but that video shows some next level rocks! Shocked

Do you recall the tire model?
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Gallaher Lake, WA (Syncro) Anyone up for Sep14-16 2019? Reply with quote

Bobby,

HAHAHA! Trump fan here but that totally cracked me up. Not sure everyone got that but you tickled my funny bone right there!!!!

Doug
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Gallaher Lake, WA (Syncro) Anyone up for Sep14-16 2019? Reply with quote

Well, that makes sense...
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Gallaher Lake, WA (Syncro) Anyone up for Sep14-16 2019? Reply with quote

Doug,

At least someone thought it was funny.. thanks. Obviously, someone else didn't
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Gallaher Lake, WA (Syncro) Anyone up for Sep14-16 2019? Reply with quote

Yeah, bummer the cultural stigma with politics, but IMO we should all be hanging around campfires together more. Everybody’s actually on the same side and its obvious from a lawn chair, less so from a keyboard...
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Gallaher Lake, WA (Syncro) Anyone up for Sep14-16 2019? Reply with quote

flomulgator wrote:
Thanks for the video Dave. I'm considering this, but also don't have A/T tires. I'm on Nokian WRC 215/65/65s, which are a reinforced commercial tire with a 107 rating.

It looks like the tire you were running (and blew 2 of) was maybe the Nokian Entyre? I looked it up and that has a 102 rating and is a standard XL tire. So if my guess (?) of your old tires is right, I *should* have a thicker sidewall and be better off, despite the not-so-aggressive street look. I have aired down the WRC to about 70% plenty of times for rocky roads like the WABDR and they've handled it great but that video shows some next level rocks! Shocked

Do you recall the tire model?

They were WRC 205/65/15. Great street tire, awesome in the rain and snow, lousy off-road tires!
Much happier with my BFGs, even though they're much noisier and give a harder ride on pavement.

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Gallaher Lake, WA (Syncro) Anyone up for Sep6/7/8 2019 ? Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
If poaching is allowed, I'd love to come along in my FZJ80 LandCruiser Wagon. That's a place I have wanted to go for years. I could strap a spare Vanagon grille across the front, complain about the power (straight 6, 5300lbs empty), and such!

Anyhow, that's a great looking trip.

Best would be some feller in a Syncro with two lockers and a solid shaft drive all the way in, then come back and tell us how it went. I went in solo in 2007 and again in 2009, loaded heavily (as we used to load Syncros back in the day..... with just one locker and a VC.

There will be nice days in September, but have to hit it when the weather is good.

Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Gallaher Lake, WA (Syncro) Anyone up for Sep14-16 2019? Reply with quote

Sept 25-27 , 2020

Edit: Torrential rains in the forecast!
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/us/wa/cle-elum/KWACLEEL46

A little ambitious for me, as a shakedown cruise.
I haven’t driven my Van yet, only ran it like 10 seconds.
“New” Long block (2011 EJ25)

But anyway,,,,, if a fella were to set an ambitious goal of getting said van on the road
and up to Gallaher on ..... say,,,, Sept25-27,
would anyone else join?
You’d have to go without me if I can’t get it together.

Which would hurt, but I can take it.

I think the biggest problem of Gallaher Head Lake might be the Jeeps with 37” tires digging 15” deep ruts & their sloppy little mudbaths. Then the responsible trail-person blocks all the braided paths around it and the hole gets about Jeep-deep. 28” wheels can’t follow 37” wheels in such conditions.

Need someone to scout it with a scooter first.
Or ‘lectric MTB etc.
Any Syncro folks available to scout midweek?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: