Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon Hacks go here! (Super-secure that cooler/box/item)
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ride-Fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Vanagon Hacks go here! (Super-secure that cooler/box/item) Reply with quote

Ok, so there is a lot of great info here on the Samba. Lots of great, in-depth, DIY instructions for complicated and simple jobs alike, but you have to do a lot of research and thread dredging, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing.

What I thought might be useful though, is to have a thread on one step, one trick ponies to help the Vanagon life be better. I know I’ve seen a lot of cool tricks and hacks, but again, I’ve found them deep in the recesses of different threads on how to do this or how to do that. So if you don’t mind, please add to this thread with a Title to best describe what the hack is about, even if you’ve already posted them in other threads.

I’ll start with something I came up with to secure a Yeti 65 cooler. I initially used 3 bungies when I was using a lightweight, POS Coleman cooler. But when I got the Yeti, I realized I needed something way more secure because in an accident, the Yeti would go flying with my current bungy system.

Awhile back, I replaced a couple of rear seatbelts and rather than throwing the old belts out, I kept them thinking they might come in handy. As luck would have it, the bits did come in handy. I cut out the old anchors off the belting and used them to make a secure holding/anchor point for the Yeti. Remove the current seatbelt anchor bolts and add the old anchors on top (or bottom) to the current ones. Voilá!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Hacks go here! (Super secure that Cooler/box/item using) Reply with quote

I used the eye bolts you can get that are threaded for seatbelts. All cast, work great.

Also Use them to hook up a dog leash to if your pet is prone to wander.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Hacks go here! (Super secure that Cooler/box/item using) Reply with quote

K-Bar! have my Dad's old one from WWII and a couple new ones. great gear for camping or wrassling large critters.

say... that fire extinguisher looks pretty vintage, had one just like it. didn't work when i tested it. the powder can pack down in really old ones and not release. Dave and i regularly flip ours upside down a couple times, hopefully monthly, to keep them free. but i'd get a new, bit larger one.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Hacks go here! (Super secure that Cooler/box/item using) Reply with quote

x2 re: fire extinguisher... Confused

I have similar strap setup but prefer cam-locks for easy operation: https://www.amazon.com/Audew-Ratchet-Tie-Down-Stra...ock+straps

Personally, I hate ratchet straps...I never seem to flip 'em or strap 'em the right way,
result being a frustrating waste of time. Must be the Norwegian side of my brain...???

Rolling Eyes Wink

- Dave

PS: Dad was Army, so I'm a Randall man... Cool

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Hacks go here! (Super secure that Cooler/box/item using) Reply with quote

I recently used those same seatbelt anchor brackets in my T4 to secure a WBX I was transporting to/from NWCR for a rebuild. Very convenient.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Ride-Fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Hacks go here! (Super secure that Cooler/box/item using) Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
K-Bar! have my Dad's old one from WWII and a couple new ones. great gear for camping or wrassling large critters.

say... that fire extinguisher looks pretty vintage, had one just like it. didn't work when i tested it. the powder can pack down in really old ones and not release. Dave and i regularly flip ours upside down a couple times, hopefully monthly, to keep them free. but i'd get a new, bit larger one.

I know that fire extinguisher probably won’t work so I need to replace that one, but I do have a new 5 lb extinguisher behind my seat.

I love knives. I’ve got the Benchmade next to the Ka-bar. I need to find my navy issue aviators survival knife and put that next to these two. Very Happy
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Hacks go here! (Super secure that Cooler/box/item using) Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
I used the eye bolts you can get that are threaded for seatbelts. All cast, work great.

A cast eyebolt would not be suitable for a seatbelt anchor.
You mean "forged"? A forged eye-bolt is very strong. I'm a little surprised you can find an eyebolt in "seatbelt thread".

dhaavers wrote:
Personally, I hate ratchet straps...I never seem to flip 'em or strap 'em the right way,

You need a lesson then. Ratchet straps are one of the world's greatest inventions and once you know the (very few) simple details about their operation you will come to worship them. One of the details is that when you open it flat, it releases.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Ride-Fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Hacks go here! (Super secure that Cooler/box/item using) Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
You need a lesson then. Ratchet straps are one of the world's greatest inventions and once you know the (very few) simple details about their operation you will come to worship them. One of the details is that when you open it flat, it releases.

So true! Ratchet straps are the best. Used them all the time in the C130!
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Hacks go here! (Super secure that Cooler/box/item using) Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
... I'm a little surprised you can find an eyebolt in "seatbelt thread"...

FWIW: http://www.gowesty.com/product/seat-belts/4372/eye-bolt-kit-

I have them too, and love them! Cool

- Dave

shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Hacks go here! (Super secure that Cooler/box/item using) Reply with quote

Yes the eyebolt kit is very nice. I built a full size set of cornhole boards and stood them up right behind the passenger seat and use a ratchet strap to hold em up
clift_d
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Hacks go here! (Super secure that Cooler/box/item using) Reply with quote

Not sure how you'd get the eyebolts to the correct fixing torque?
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Hacks go here! (Super secure that Cooler/box/item using) Reply with quote

they're shouldered. they tighten in just fine.

ALL seatbelt bolts are a standard 7/16-20 thread.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gordo_89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Hacks go here! (Super secure that Cooler/box/item using) Reply with quote

I used climbing hangers to secure the spare wheel and create a lashing point.

vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Hacks go here! (Super secure that Cooler/box/item using) Reply with quote

Deleted
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798

Last edited by vanagonjr on Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:56 am; edited 1 time in total
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Hacks go here! (Super secure that Cooler/box/item using) Reply with quote

I do NOT see how that would keep the tire secure in any form of traffic accident.
appears that it would launch it into or past the front seats..

Gordo_89 wrote:
I used climbing hangers to secure the spare wheel and create a lashing point.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Hacks go here! (Super-secure that cooler/box/item) Reply with quote

x2...

Confused

- Dave

IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Hacks go here! (Super-secure that cooler/box/item) Reply with quote

Funniest recent thread cave in I've seen in a while.

OP: Hey guys, share your best hacks.

US: Let's criticize each hack and chase our tails.

Me specifically: Total amusement, no malice at all, I just think it's kinda funny and it's totally situation normal with a bunch of smart, alert types. Heh.....
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:52 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Hacks go here! (Super-secure that cooler/box/item) Reply with quote

[quote="Ride-Fly"]

I have a extra seat belt facing backwards in this location to "secure" the cooler, but I'm thinking it might not really secure it in a bad accident. I think your way is certainly better.

My Weekender has threaded holes in the floor for clamps for the factory fridge-perhaps I can utilize those with your anchor method, as well.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Hacks go here! (Super-secure that cooler/box/item) Reply with quote

I've become more aware of "free floating cargo." Especially after Erics (E1) mishap.

Anyone have a good way to secure that stuff behind the rear seat on top of the camper cushion as you travel?

You can't very well put eye bolts in the floor, they would be lumpy at night!

Some sort of net over the top? Secured to what?

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Hacks go here! (Super-secure that cooler/box/item) Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
Funniest recent thread cave in I've seen in a while.

OP: Hey guys, share your best hacks.

US: Let's criticize each hack and chase our tails.

Me specifically: Total amusement, no malice at all, I just think it's kinda funny and it's totally situation normal with a bunch of smart, alert types. Heh.....

Well...... yes and no.

When securing items to stay in place there are amazing forces at work in an accident that many fail to recognize.
That tire? Its a giant hinge, it needs to be secured not only from front and rear movement but also movement off the floor.

It is far better to learn this now while healthy and whole rather than later after the tire removes your head.

I'd view this as an teachable moment rather than as a criticism.

I know that I'm always happy to learn from members here which is why I post photos like I do. There is tremendous knowledge on the site! I've been corrected more than a few times over the years.
I also share my "Oops! Don't do this moments" to help others who follow after doing the same tadks.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: