Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Break down in Knox county, Maine (running with only 3 cylinders)
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:43 am    Post subject: Break down in Knox county, Maine (running with only 3 cylinders) Reply with quote

Engine started knocking but not a rod knock I don't think. Turns over easily either direction until one spot stops with a clunk.

Engine will need to be pulled to see what happened.
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)

Last edited by sgellis on Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:08 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Break down in Knox county, Maine Reply with quote

Actually think it may be clutch... Pressure plate bolt maybe.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Break down in Knox county, Maine Reply with quote

Broken valve. Going to remove push rods and try 3 cylinders if I can't find a head today.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Break down in Knox county, Maine Reply with quote

Back in running on 3
Touch Nicks Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Break down in Knox county, Maine Reply with quote

Safe travels wherever you're headed!
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Break down in Knox county, Maine Reply with quote

Made it to BBTB. Runs good considering except hills are a challenge. On the flat it's fine but keeping it at 55mph
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Break down in Knox county, Maine Reply with quote

Just going to add some more info just incase someone wants to try the same thing with a broken exhaust valve. We made it home with a total of 700 miles on three cylinders. No problems other than low power.

I put the exhaust valve stem and spring back in the head before bolting the rockers back on. Without the pushrod it comes out a long way but the rocker keeps it from falling out when valve cover is on. I though about leaving the pushrod on the exhaust rocker but decided it may cause more problems later. Left the intake pushrod out.

Driving on three is not that bad but remember that the three are working 8% harder to keep the same speed as it did with 4. Keep your top speed down so they don't get too hot. Basically don't run flat out all day. Also think it is better to keep the RPM a little higher on hills so they get more cooling. Shift a little earlier than normal.

Carburetor is set up for 4 and now running 3 so going to be throwing more gas than needed. If you push the pedal to the floor you wont get as much power as keeping it up a little. The best throttle position changes with RPM also so play with the gas on hills to get best power. After a few hundred miles you will get good at it. Smile

Think it would have been risky putting a good head on. Made some good dents in the piston so would be a little worried it damaged the connecting rod or bearing. Rather run on three than have a connecting rod break or a bearing spin.

Also it would have been a lot nicer working on it if we had stopped on asphalt. Smile

ted698
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Break down in Knox county, Maine (running with only 3 cylinders) Reply with quote

Good Job getting it home (and more!) - ambitious roadside repair Smile
Touch Nicks Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Break down in Knox county, Maine (running with only 3 cylinders) Reply with quote

Awesome update, thanks for posting up the info! Always great to hear some roadside tricks that actually get the job done...
western auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Break down in Knox county, Maine Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:
Just going to add some more info just incase someone wants to try the same thing with a broken exhaust valve. We made it home with a total of 700 miles on three cylinders. No problems other than low power.

I put the exhaust valve stem and spring back in the head before bolting the rockers back on. Without the pushrod it comes out a long way but the rocker keeps it from falling out when valve cover is on. I though about leaving the pushrod on the exhaust rocker but decided it may cause more problems later. Left the intake pushrod out.

Driving on three is not that bad but remember that the three are working 8% harder to keep the same speed as it did with 4. Keep your top speed down so they don't get too hot. Basically don't run flat out all day. Also think it is better to keep the RPM a little higher on hills so they get more cooling. Shift a little earlier than normal.

Carburetor is set up for 4 and now running 3 so going to be throwing more gas than needed. If you push the pedal to the floor you wont get as much power as keeping it up a little. The best throttle position changes with RPM also so play with the gas on hills to get best power. After a few hundred miles you will get good at it. Smile

Think it would have been risky putting a good head on. Made some good dents in the piston so would be a little worried it damaged the connecting rod or bearing. Rather run on three than have a connecting rod break or a bearing spin.

Also it would have been a lot nicer working on it if we had stopped on asphalt. Smile

im t

I think leaving the exhaust pushrod in would have helped tremendously, especially with no intake valve, would help alleviate the blowback into the intake manifold, and help maintain better vacuum
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Break down in Knox county, Maine Reply with quote

western auto wrote:

I think leaving the exhaust pushrod in would have helped tremendously, especially with no intake valve, would help alleviate the blowback into the intake manifold, and help maintain better vacuum

Exhaust valve was missing its head so open all the time, Intake was still there but no pushrod to open it. All the exhaust pushrod would do is move the valve stem in and out... and stop it from just laying there loose.
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Break down in Knox county, Maine (running with only 3 cylinders) Reply with quote

Nice work on the side of the road- hopefully no Jack Russel's were injured in the process!
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Break down in Knox county, Maine (running with only 3 cylinders) Reply with quote

velvetgreen wrote:
hopefully no Jack Russel's were injured in the process!

Two dogs from somewhere kept dropping tennis balls in the engine parts. Wife played fetch with them until they tired out so I could work. Smile
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Break down in Knox county, Maine (running with only 3 cylinders) Reply with quote

nice to hear you made it home on three.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: